PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's time to consider X-Plane?

arrowmaker
May 4th, 2009, 00:04
In the last month or so I have began to dabble with X-Plane 9. I always assumed that X-Plane models were pretty basic and could in no way compare with those in FSX. How wrong I was! Things certainly seem to be on the move in the XP camp. Just to give those members who have not considered XP an idea of whats currently available here are just three samples:

Mitsubishi MU-2 (Payware)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbaxHfxSgZU&fmt=22

Hawker Hurricane (Payware)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k3J3uFSJdI

AT 6G Texan (Freeware)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=ES&hl=es&v=Q1Ehr5PrhNg&fmt=18

I'm quite impressed by video's such as these and they made me go out and get a copy of XP. I think that those folks who have'nt even considered XP should take a serious look at it and maybe even think about having it sit alongside their FSX installation.

Lionheart
May 4th, 2009, 00:35
Its an awesome Sim. I totally agree. They lack alot of the developers we have in FS. I think their next release will be far more amazing then their present X-Plane build level.

The Cessna 182 and Avanti that X-P9 come with are loaded with qualities that FS has in their planes.

Bill

Z-PurpleBubble
May 4th, 2009, 00:50
After seeing those video's posted, and this one, I'm definitely considering it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qsUq8jBu8&feature=related

Getting to shoot at stuff in the air and hitting/damageing it? SOLD!! :applause:

PB

Nick C
May 4th, 2009, 01:56
I'm more than happy with FSX, seems to me that if you like XP there is a forum all for you, so those of us that are happy with FSX don't have to keep reading posts from those that are trying to sell us another sim.

Tadaaa: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Grumpy, me? Maybe :engel016:

Ok, I'll get my coat :173go1:

arrowmaker
May 4th, 2009, 02:58
I'm more than happy with FSX, seems to me that if you like XP there is a forum all for you, so those of us that are happy with FSX don't have to keep reading posts from those that are trying to sell us another sim.

Grumpy? You Nick. Never! :wiggle:

I genuinely believe that there are a lot of FSX users, who like myself (until recently, that is) are simply unaware of how far XP has progressed. Personally my preference is still for FSX. However that does not mean that other sim's are closed to me. Honestly, I'm not trying to shove XP down anyone's throat, by posting here. It's just that posting in the XP forum would be pointless as most posters there will already be aware of the models I mentioned. Those who only frequent the FS2004/FSX forums, however, will most likely be unaware of them and just how far XP has come in general.

Nick C
May 4th, 2009, 03:11
It was a tongue in cheek comment. The problem is, if you frequent any one forum for long enough, you see the same posts over and over again (I'm guilty of it too). There have been many XP posts in the FSX forum, hence why a dedicated forum was set up. But I do appreciate that anybody new to here may not be aware of XP.

So you see, I was being grumpy, just reminds me of certain "but Ariane are great" posts. ;) :d

gajit
May 4th, 2009, 03:53
:applause::applause::applause:

Kiwikat
May 4th, 2009, 05:13

Amen.

Xplane has a LONG way to go graphics-wise before I would even THINK about considering it. In fact, it'll take something MUCH better than FSX to get me to switch from it. My current FSX experiences are nothing short of awesome (to me). Every time I fly, it surprises me with something new. To go back to FS2002 resolution ground textures would kill me. :blind:

The new scenery program Scenery Solutions is working on will revolutionize MSFS. The United States will be covered in detail not seen before. If its performance hit is negligible, I think it will give FSX a breath of fresh air.

Alexraptor
May 4th, 2009, 05:25
Agreed, now were even getting a few sceneries starting to take advantage of FSX's ultra high resolutions. Not to mention the fantastic other addons such as REX and A2A's accu-sim packs.

Prowler1111
May 4th, 2009, 05:28
Not to start a fruitless debate BUT:
Not everything that shines is gold..that T-6 looks great, but no working gauges...i´m sorry for what i´m about to say, but these videos, while impressive each on their own way, reminds me of an used car sales man....so to speak...
Anyone got the right for his/her own choices..for some is eye candy, for some is realism, for most is the exact match of both....i´ve fiddle with X-plane 9 long enough (and also developed for the FS series long enough) to know that it´s not even close to FS8..and in some cases..not even close to the Strike Fighter series of combat sims, regarding virtual cockpits.Just my opinion.

Best regards
Prowler

JIMJAM
May 4th, 2009, 05:39
I buy ANYTHING aviation related to try and support developers and keep sims alive.
That said...... I did my part and bought 2 versions,one being the latest build and both were quickly uninstalled and sit collecting dust.
I tried, I really really did to let Xplane grow on me but its IMO a mess. The flight models feel like they are puppets on strings. The autogen is horrible and looks like a giant slung msc buildings across the land scape. I took off from my home field and got lost! Industrial complexes next to farms with houses. As disgruntled and angry at MS I get, Xplane is WAY behind. Using a bunch of techno babble,fancy scientific catch words to describe how accurate and great X-plane is, X-plane needs to be scraped and get back to the basics. Like a plane that feels like a plane. Dam what their super computer says. Splurge on some real landclass and maybe Xplane will be able to compete one day.

guzler
May 4th, 2009, 06:29
Not everything that shines is gold..that T-6 looks great, but no working gauges...i´m sorry for what i´m about to say, but these videos, while impressive each on their own way, reminds me of an used car sales man....so to speak...
Anyone got the right for his/her own choices..for some is eye candy, for some is realism, for most is the exact match of both....i´ve fiddle with X-plane 9 long enough (and also developed for the FS series long enough) to know that it´s not even close to FS8..and in some cases..not even close to the Strike Fighter series of combat sims, regarding virtual cockpits.Just my opinion.

Best regards
Prowler

You're abosultely right, we all have the right to our own choices. Without someone putting threads like this into popular forums such as the FSX one here, many of us may be making choices out of ignorance, not knowledge.

I do not frequent the XP forum very often, so if someone takes the time to keep me updated by putting key threads in forums that I do keep uptodate on, then they are helping me. I have the choice to read this thread or not, and as you guessed, I did !!!!

Thankyou to all who have contributed to the feedback on XP. I am comfortable with FSX even though my computer is stretched, as much as anything because I am used to the key commands and the modular way that you can add to the MSFS series. However at some point, XP may tempt me to have it installed along side.

ryanbatc
May 4th, 2009, 07:42
XP looks decent but the lack of decent ATC environment is a show stopper, maybe XP 10 will have it

gera
May 4th, 2009, 08:03
Hi guys....

As you probably know, if you been at the XP forum, I have been looking at it for about 6 months now and really enjoy it.....Mind you FSX is my number one sim.....but XP is very nice. Better than any FS before FS9 and FSX and getting better. I have started making " Flight Adventures in it" and its a lot of fun, some scenery, specially around mountains is fabulous and some planes too....but it is a different horse and you have to fool with it some to find all the little tricks and twists its got and does not have.......the important thing to me is that I can tune in to a different setting that looks like eventually will shine very well and true................fun just fun.:icon_lol:

Bjoern
May 4th, 2009, 08:17
No AI traffic, no go.

GT182
May 4th, 2009, 08:30
PB, that video was pretty good. Not up to the combat standards of IL 2, but good just the same. It shows someone is trying to make it a reality in X Plane. And that would be the only reason I'd buy it.

Combat and bombing with damage is what I want to see in FSX. If that was possible with the FSX fighter and bomber addons we'd be in great shape. Just think of the on-line fun we could have. I've flown on-line with IL-2 for a few years and that was what made my winter weeks sane.... our Friday night missions and were a blast. Too bad we can't get the Aces Team to help out and make FSX combat a reality. But that might PO M$ to no end.

Major_Spittle
May 4th, 2009, 08:48
After seeing those video's posted, and this one, I'm definitely considering it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qsUq8jBu8&feature=related

Getting to shoot at stuff in the air and hitting/damageing it? SOLD!! :applause:

PB

I have yet to find where you can use play MP on X-Plane. If you can it isn't set up very well or is a secret.

Other than that, I like X-Plane better than FSX.

BushAV8R
May 4th, 2009, 08:52
Wow, the videos looked pretty nice. Especially the Mitsubishi MU-2 video.

I am looking forward to the time when bush flying scenery, similar to tongass fjords / misty fjords, is available with some decent bush planes.

spotlope
May 4th, 2009, 09:41
X-Plane has come a long way in the last few years -- roughly comparable to the progress made by the ACES team before they were disbanded, I'd say. And hey, in a few more years (barring the entry of a new player into the FS space), X-Plane will probably be the sim to beat. At the moment, however, it has a very, very long way to go to rival FSX in a number of key areas.

I bought v.9 a couple of months ago, and flew it regularly for a few days. Maybe it's because I'm so much more comfortable in the FSX world, but I just couldn't warm to it. My main issues are the graphics, which while vastly improved over past versions, are still seriously lacking. Aircraft quality is poor enough that models which would barely be considered FS9-worthy are hailed as ground-breaking. And scenery? Jeez, don't get me started on that. Sure, the ground textures look okay from a distance, but they're not high enough rez to maintain the illusion up close, and there's a serious dearth of good models for buildings and airport facilities.

All of this could change in a heartbeat, mind you, but for now... color me still unimpressed.

txnetcop
May 4th, 2009, 10:03
My main issues are the graphics, which while vastly improved over past versions, are still seriously lacking. Aircraft quality is poor enough that models which would barely be considered FS9-worthy are hailed as ground-breaking. And scenery? Jeez, don't get me started on that. Sure, the ground textures look okay from a distance, but they're not high enough rez to maintain the illusion up close, and there's a serious dearth of good models for buildings and airport facilities.

All of this could change in a heartbeat, mind you, but for now... color me still unimpressed.

I have used it since it was X-Plane 7.0 and progress has been made. More lately than previous.

However, I am in the same camp as you Bill. It has a L-O-N-G way to go just to come up to FS9 standards. I fly it when I can but it just isn't a priority. I don't care what their so-called real world pilots in their forum say, it doesn't feel like any aircraft I ever flew in R/L.

However I sure am glad we have it in our forum and some of our developers have their eye on it.
Ted

Major_Spittle
May 4th, 2009, 10:05
Actually Rise of Flight might be the SIM to beat. It is physics based and has combat. It is only simulating the basics of flights and combat using WWI aircraft and weapon so they can make detailed realistic flight models. Watch these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-_8_97k7o&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJkNR_CobE

http://wwiaircombat.com/articles/rise-of-flight-promo-movie-8-airflow-demo

Lionheart
May 4th, 2009, 11:38
In Rise of Flight, do they have an open SDK where we can make our own scenery and aircraft?

Bill

Sundog
May 4th, 2009, 11:50
Actually, to me anyway, it looks like BoB is going to be the sim engine to beat, once it's finally released. The fact that it will have open architecture, in a similar fashion that FS has now, and you can make gauges, flight models, aircraft, and add scenery, etc, it looks like it will be amazing. Especially after seeing the video of the beach along the ocean Oleg previewed with the waves crashing against the shore and seeing the the dpeth of the water along the coastline.

Of course, alot could change between now and it's release, but I think it's the one to watch. Especially since Aces Studio closed up shop. I think Oleg is seeing that as opening he can't afford not to take advantage of while the opportunity exists.

Upon further reading, it looks like the map making may be limited. I haven't been able to track down the latest interview, where I thought he claimed we would be able to, so take what I wrote with a grain of salt until I find it.

Here's some pics, until then. pics link (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2040&page=2)

spotlope
May 4th, 2009, 11:51
Rise of Flight definitely looks promising, although single-era or limited sims have the advantage of not having to reproduce the dizzying variety of locales, situations, or physics that a full-scale sim like FS does. Still, I'm really anxious to see how it works when it's released.

Is anyone else curious what would happen if Oleg and company took on the challenge of a full-fledged, modern civilian simulator? I mean, you know, other than the fact that the first version would debut in 2020? ;)

Naismith
May 4th, 2009, 12:26
As each month goes by and with no prospect of a MS successor to FSX, and there being no others in the field apart from X-Plane, it is inevitable that X will take over.
Sure looks lonely though with no AI to speak of.

deimos256
May 4th, 2009, 12:27

Best regards
Prowler

Those gauges clearly are working in that video.

As far as Xplane, I have both XP9 and FSX installed and split my time between both.

Kiwikat
May 4th, 2009, 12:29
As each month goes by and with no prospect of a MS successor to FSX, and there being no others in the field apart from X-Plane, it is inevitable that X will take over.
Sure looks lonely though with no AI to speak of.

That is hardly inevitable... :kilroy:

djscoo
May 4th, 2009, 12:30
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=64
:ernae: