PDA

View Full Version : "Connection failed" message

wsmwsm
October 14th, 2008, 18:00
I am a novice at multiplayer and I'm trying to set up a game between my two home computers which are on the same network.

I keep getting a "connection failed message' after setting up a game on the host computer and then trying to connect on the other.

I have unblocked the firewall for CFS3 access and, for that matter, CFS2. I am using the correct IP address, etc.

I have a wireless broadband connection and Vista as the operating system.

I'm really lost at this. Is there anyone who could perhaps direct me to a solution.

ofemur
October 14th, 2008, 19:13
Wireless = router = pain in the a**.

You probably need to open ports in the router for the game to work properly.
Here is something I found at MS for CFS3 and the ports used
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/829475

I do not have CFS3, but I have been online with FS2004 & FSX for years and have come to loath routers. 99% of connection problems can be traced to the *&$%#? router. Another good site is portfoward.com. They have guides for the different routers and games to show you how to open up the ports needed. Hope this helps

Panther

gaw
October 15th, 2008, 03:28
one of the guys who's been incredibly helpful to me in the past about this connection thing that baffled me too was PD. He's primarily an OFF player, you'll see a lot of missions from him here, but he sorted my issues out right away.....to my eternal discredit I've not followed up the online opportunity he helped me with

wsmwsm
October 15th, 2008, 14:43
I tried to follow the directions at the Microsoft support link noted above. But either it doesn't work, or I didn't understand the instructions.

I'm frustrated by the notion that I have 2 computers on the same network just a floor away from each other and I can't hook them up.

Again, any help would be great.

blacksheep-ghost03
October 15th, 2008, 14:47
i am a novice at multiplayer and i'm trying to set up a game between my two home computers which are on the same network.

I keep getting a "connection failed message' after setting up a game on the host computer and then trying to connect on the other.

I have unblocked the firewall for cfs3 access and, for that matter, cfs2. I am using the correct ip address, etc.

I have a wireless broadband connection and vista as the operating system.

I'm really lost at this. Is there anyone who could perhaps direct me to a solution.

vista doesn't work for multiplayer yet.
need xp. SOME have managed to get it to work in the add - on- OFF
also "uncheck" publish my game in the cfs directory as MS server for game is down for good. No need to log on anymore.

wsmwsm
October 15th, 2008, 14:54
Really? Am I beating my head against a wall then?

blacksheep-ghost03
October 15th, 2008, 15:05
Really? Am I beating my head against a wall then?

I have multiple computers including wirless on a network all capable of joining the " host " using CFS3 and XP.
Vista will not work in "multiplayer" as of yet. The rest of the game works with vista. Alot of players with "Vista" have partitioned their HDD and put XP on it.

wsmwsm
October 15th, 2008, 15:08
Darn.