PDA

View Full Version : MV Maersk Alabama

Helldiver
May 3rd, 2009, 18:14
Here is the rest of the story you won't read in the press -- not yet
The first American warship to the rescue of MV Maersk Alabama was USS Bainbridge (DDG-96) which arrived on scene at approximately 10pm Eastern time on April 9 2009.
That last American-flagged vessel to be captured by pirates was the USS Philadelphia, when she ran aground off Tripoli on 31 October 1803 and was captured by the Tripoli pirates. The U.S. Navy Captain was held hostage by the Tripoli pirates for about a year. That Captain both lost his ship to the pirates and was held by them for a year. That Captain wanted revenge. That revenge was to come 2006 years later!
That captain of USS Philadelphia -- who was the last U.S. captain to lose his vessel to pirates was Captain William Bainbridge -- namesake of the current USS Bainbridge (DDG-96) -- the first warship now to the rescue of MV Maersk Alabama off Somalia.
What amazing irony -- as the spirit -- or ghost of Commodore William Bainbridge, USN (http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/pers-us/uspers-b/w-bainbg.htm) now rises up -- again 2006 years later -- to take his vengence on the pirates after 206 years. Indeed, you can't make this stuff up!
By the way, I happen to take my boot camp at USNTS - Bainbridge.

lifejogger
May 3rd, 2009, 18:38
That is quite a story, I can't imagine why the press would not want to run that story.