PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a modelling newbie

BushAV8R
May 3rd, 2009, 02:06
Hello all,

I just wanted to say a "Hello" to all of you, since I am a new member of this forum and I might have a few questions in the future, if I can not find it directly on the forum.

I am completely new to modelling and was always a little scared by programs like Gmax. However, two weeks ago I found Milton's awesome C162 tutorial and finally installed Gmax on my PC. I worked through the first lessons and decided to invest more time in modelling, because it is actually a lot of fun.

I am flying for real and thought, that it would be great to have "my" aircraft as a flight simulation model, so I can do some training when I am not flying for real.

So after a lot of data and picture research, I started on the fuselage this morning and I have fun!

Thanks again Milton for your great tutorial. This one got me really started. :applause:

Milton Shupe
May 3rd, 2009, 04:37
Welcome AV8R

Good to see you taking up the cross for yourself and the community. It is nice to hear the tutorials were a help to you. Let us know how we can help.

tobob
May 22nd, 2009, 15:37
I just glanced over that tutorial and was truly floored. I dabbled very lightly with modelling in the past and was mostly discouraged, but recently got a better understanding and became extremely hooked. I have several projects going including a DH-2 Beaver and a german prototype airplane. I'll post some screenies in a bit.

Milton, did you do the video tutorial about uvw mapping?

Milton Shupe
May 22nd, 2009, 17:20
I just glanced over that tutorial and was truly floored. I dabbled very lightly with modelling in the past and was mostly discouraged, but recently got a better understanding and became extremely hooked. I have several projects going including a DH-2 Beaver and a german prototype airplane. I'll post some screenies in a bit.

Milton, did you do the video tutorial about uvw mapping?

Hello tobob,

I look forward to your screenshots.

Yes, as part of the C162 tutorial series, # 22 talks about mapping and there is a video tutorial in that section index.

The general tutorials are here: see item 22.
http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

And the video tutorial link is here (same link posted in item#22:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/tutorials/c162basicmap.zip

BushAV8R
June 1st, 2009, 08:02
Hello Milton,

I have a question for you, with respect to you C162 tutorial.

How can I create fuselage cross sections, like the ones you had in exercise one. Did you do it by using splines?

I have 13 cross sections of the aircraft I am going to model, but I am not sure how to create separate cross sections.

I can do it by using a cylinder and shape it, but I would like to use cross sections.

It would be great if you can help me.

Milton Shupe
June 1st, 2009, 10:03
An easy and simple method would be to create a cylinder with the number sides you want. (You might want to select a number of sides that give you a centered top and bottom vertice but that is not essential.) Then delete all the vertices from one end leaving the other end in tack. Delete the poly cap from the end (do not delete vertices when asked) and you have the remaining vertices.

I usually model one half so I would then delete one side of the vertices.

You can copy that set of vertices to begin the next cross section as you wish (after you have set the shape).

BushAV8R
June 2nd, 2009, 08:37
Thanks Milton!

BushAV8R
July 23rd, 2009, 01:32
Hello all,

I am making some slow progress, getting familiar with gmax/max, due to time limitations, but the progress is not so bad either. However, I have I problem where I need some help.

I model half of the fuselage, just like in Milton's tutorial, but if I mirror the other side, I have a clear edge right in the middle and it should be round and smooth all over. Is there a way to smooth my side of the fuselage and the mirrored side? I tried it with smoothing groups, but it looks like as if it not possible. Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Milton Shupe
July 23rd, 2009, 04:17
AV8R,

Great to hear from you.

First, if you mirrored the other half using the Mirror Tool on top, delete that half. You must use the Mirror modifier in the stack instead. Be sure before you mirror to set the pivot X axis at 0.00 first (Affect Pivot only), then copy, then use the modifier. This should position the new half perfectly.

Next, Attach the new half to the original.

Now in Vertice sub-object mode, select all the vertices down the centerline and weld the halves together.

Now in poly sub-object mode, select all polys, clear all smoothing and re-smooth.

This should take care of your issues.

BushAV8R
July 30th, 2009, 12:58
Hi Milton,

thanks for the hint. I will check it out over the weekend and let you know my outcome. There might be still one or the other question. ;)