PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Beaver

tobob
May 2nd, 2009, 05:25
Help!!
I have a design problem. I modeled a dh-2 beaver, it took me several hours. When I took it for its first flight it was backwards and the front end was sunk into the ground and the tail 45 degrees into the air. Although flying a beaver backwards has some hilarity, I'm wondering how to correct this problem. I used FS Design and modelled from a three view plan. I guess I built the model backwards, is there a way to reverse it or are my efforts lost? This was my second attempt at modelling. My first model didn't have these problems.

Can anyone explain how to fix this or point me towards help.

Also, any advice on texturing would be greatly appreciated as well as any good tutorials on modelling dealing with animations and specifically with FS Design.

Matt Wynn
May 2nd, 2009, 06:55
should be able to select it all and manually rotate... never experienced it myself, but should do the trick, rotate through 180 degrees and should be ok....

tobob
May 2nd, 2009, 10:58
should be able to select it all and manually rotate... never experienced it myself, but should do the trick, rotate through 180 degrees and should be ok....

I tried that but all the pieces are in the wrong spot. Now I'm thinking I need to merge all the pieces first then rotate it. But, should I texture the individual pieces first then merge them? I just wanted to try flying it first.

Matt Wynn
May 2nd, 2009, 11:58
i make scenery items using FSDS and i tend to make, export textureless, check how it looks, change if neccesary then assign the textures then re-export, should be the same for aircraft, if i have to tonight i'll make a quick R/c scale aircraft and see if i can find a rapid file change...

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2009, 12:07
In Gmax, you simply select all object that are under 'exterior' and 'interior' nodes and rotate the mess around to face forward.

You are making this for FSX, so you probably do not have 'interior' and 'exterior' nodes, so you dont have to worry about them.

For FS9 developers (newbies), you cannot rotate the 'exterior' or 'interior' nodes. They 'must' face the right direction or this also happens. For instance, if your Gizmo is sideways on the exterior node, your plane will export sideways. The exterior 'must' be facing the right way.

Do we get to see a screenshot of your new creation? :)

Bill

OBIO
May 2nd, 2009, 12:13
I got all excited when I read the title to this thread for some reason. What a big let down.

Hope you get your Beaver facing the right direction.

OBIO

n4gix
May 3rd, 2009, 07:42
Honestly, I've never understood how this should happen. Surely if looking at the "Left View" and you see the right side, that should be a clue that "something is wrong?" :173go1:

tobob
May 3rd, 2009, 09:46
I'm looking at the right view of the program and the aircraft is pointing left. Apparently I used the wrong three view.

I'm trying to upload screenies but I can't for some reason.

Might scratch this one and start over. I'm still trying to figure out prop and surface animation and skinning.

You live you learn.

Slund
May 3rd, 2009, 18:44
I did the same thing with the first aircraft I developed in FSDS. You will have to reset and centre the axis of rotation on each part before you select all and rotate the model. The individual parts rotate on the own axis so if there not centred and square the parts won't line up after spinning them 180 degrees.

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2009, 20:45
Might scratch this one and start over.

NOOOOOOOOO

Just turn it around... eeeks! Its save-able. :d

Next time, put the 3 view in your graphics program, save as a new name, and flip the image to face the other way.

:icon29:

Bill

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2009, 20:51
Can you start a new scene (I dont have Max, only Gmax), and merge (import) all parts over, then select all parts, and click Reset X-Form, and save as Editable Poly's. Then rotate all parts at once (select all, rotate), then reset all of their X-Forms (Gizmo's) all over again?

Save as a new level and label it and experiment. I am thinking this is very easy to do. Dont delete it....

Bill

tobob
May 4th, 2009, 08:07
I won't delete it. But, I already started a new one that's looking wayyy more promising. I still can't upload any sreenshots.

Any suggestions for textures or templates for a DH-2 Canadian beaver?

Firebar
May 4th, 2009, 09:52
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/modernplanes/modern-da-de/18139/view/de_havilland_canada_dhc_2_beaver/

tobob
May 4th, 2009, 10:12
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/modernplanes/modern-da-de/18139/view/de_havilland_canada_dhc_2_beaver/

That's the one I used. The side view is pointing the wrong way. Should point to the right apparently.

Firebar
May 4th, 2009, 10:20
What method did you use to apply the 3-view? Have you had a look at the tutorials here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=93 . If you used the dimension box method you can flip the texture direction by just selecting the UVW mesh and rotating it around the Z (IN THIS CASE) axis.

There are a lot of little gems in here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

and also in here http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi which is a more active design forum.

Lionheart
May 4th, 2009, 11:48
That's the one I used. The side view is pointing the wrong way. Should point to the right apparently.

If you have a graphics program, open the 3View up there, select 'flip image horizontally', and save as 'backwards.xxx' (xxx being file format you are saving it as, your choice), and Voila, the Beav now points in the direction you need it too.

You can also learn to assemble various views from other sources, copy/pasting them into 3 views and working on them from there.

In Gmax, or Max, learn to use 3-views as backdrops on Polygons. Hide the Polygons when you export (so they do not export into FS with your plane). But you can use the backdrop Polygons in direct views (such as Left, Right, Front, Rear, etc), and simply adjust them for each view. You can use transparent mode on a part (Alt-X) to see through the part onto the backdrop Polygon and make your adjustments appropriately.

Also, if you make your art square (like 1024 pixels square), then you do not have to worry about your 3 view being out of squareness (squashed, too tall or too wide). Simply add the square art to a square polygon (use measurements to make it say 40 feet by 40 feet, etc, then scale later to appropirate size without losing the squareness of the Polygon).

Bill