PDA

View Full Version : HU! Photoscenery on-the-fly

Motormouse
October 14th, 2008, 13:43
take a peek here --->

http://edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorial/

apparently works with fs9 too, if your system can handle it;basically turns fs into a front-end app for googlemaps (and similar)

Not too sure on the legality of 'borrowing' someone else's photomaps though

ttfn

Pete

hey_moe
October 14th, 2008, 14:27
I like the Grand Canyon shots:applause:

Lionheart
October 14th, 2008, 14:32
Yep! Works great. I love it.

I have flown all over Colorado and Cape Cod (and surrounding Islands) with it. Brilliant!!

Bill

FengZ
October 14th, 2008, 14:48
Yep! Works great. I love it.

I have flown all over Colorado and Cape Cod (and surrounding Islands) with it. Brilliant!!

Bill

Hey Bill, does this program install anything into the FS9 folder (such as the texture and scenery folders?). I ask this because i have a super lean-and-clean install of FS9 that runs butter smooth, and i'm curious if this software will interfere with my setup. It seems to change your FS9.cfg and other files?

I'm guessing that it's stores the downloaded files in a different folder and loads those textures/bgls in realtime.

Post some sample screenshots!

thanks
-feng

srgalahad
October 14th, 2008, 21:38
So we don't get into huge duplication, there are six threads floating around regarding Tile Proxy.

Just do a search ("Tile Proxy -show threads) and browse away. Lionheart certainly has had fun since I hooked him on TP and he'll show you why.
You may, depending on sentiment, may want to browse late at night with the lights off as much of the threading has been over on the "Dark Side" (FSX FORUM) but I've been there and they aren't ALL evil:icon_lol:

Rob

Lionheart
October 14th, 2008, 21:48
Hey Feng,

To save you some time;

* Yes, it saves to its own file center
* The main 'control' folder for it is saved in the main FSX folder
* The textures (Cache) are saved in the Microsoft Games/Tile Proxy folder in seperate World folders.
* The scenery only shows when TP (Tile Proxy) is running
* To run it, click on Start TileProxy, then start up FS
* Remember to download the INI 'examples' and load up the FSX version. The TP program will auto-adjust when you boot up FS9.

You can do the following;
* Delete Cache when ever you like.
* Use the Cache Management Map Window Program to select and delete certain area's.
* Move the Cache to other hard drives (it can get into the mega Gigs).
* Run TP 'offline' in their offline 'runs on cache' mode by modifying the entry in the INI file, which is basically like a FS9 'config' file. (Open with Notepad).

The reason to run TP offline is that you can run it on the Cache. The Cache is loaded on the first run. Where ever you are over, that resolution height will be stored, what ever you see. So if you fly and hit 'refresh scenery', the highest level of detail terrain will be stored in Cache. Then the next time you fly, its already downloaded.

Also, keep in mind, the first time its loading a new terrain, its downloading HUGE high rez JPG files, and converting them to LOD multi resolution BGL files, 'on the fly' which means, its making the terrain as you fly over it. (A totally genius program). So if its slow on the first flight, take the Piper Cub and be patient, hit Refresh Scenery alot, and Voila, you'll have great scenery.

If the area you are in is low resolution aerial photography, you can change out your photo group. That is also done in the INI file. Just change out the # sign to be 'not' in front of the 'active' server. There are 4 servers. Virtual Earth is number 3, and I think GE is 2 or 1. Ask is number 4. All ansers are actually 'in' the INI file. They put in all the anseres conviniently in it, so remember to download the 'example INI files'.

SrGalahad showed me this system. Its the talk of the town, if you would. Very impressive.

Let me know if you have problems or issues and I'll try to walk you through it.

Bill