PDA

View Full Version : SciFi design.......

MCDesigns
April 30th, 2009, 12:11
......has more challenges than I thought, LOL . Being a big SG Atlantis fan and always wanting to dig deeper into aircraft design over scenery, I decided to work on a puddle Jumper, this WIP was the easy part for me, now have to detail the VC, figure out effects, a proper airfile and gauges of some sort :isadizzy:

Of course, knowing how I am I'll have to find a way to do the city of Atlantis and possible Stargate sceneries also, LOL

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5311/pjump1.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5596/pjump2.jpg

Paularx
April 30th, 2009, 12:43
Helowwww !

Show us your mesh ;-) :ernae:

That puddlejumper looks great - awesome job !

simkid22
April 30th, 2009, 12:53
ooh will you have a time machine variant too?

rayhere48
April 30th, 2009, 14:20
You gotta make the Stargate next. I would love to go through the Gate and pop out into another planet. Nice thing about the Gate is all the scenery can look like earth textures. I sure would love to have all the ships from the SG series. Love the puddle jumper.

GT182
April 30th, 2009, 16:46
Well McD, looks like you've got a good start going for another sim. A StarGate sim would be a great seller...... :bump:

Sign me up for one of the first copies before it hits the stores. And... make it for PC too. ;)

Boomer
April 30th, 2009, 17:11
Great start Michael! :applause::applause::applause:

RyanJames170
April 30th, 2009, 17:41
wow cool i have some reference materiel to look at if you want just PM me if you want to look at it.

Piglet
April 30th, 2009, 19:53
Sometimes you gotta take a break from the "real world" and enjoy some "cool world" stuff!:ernae:
For you just starting plane making, that's just darn good-lookin'!

CBris
April 30th, 2009, 20:31
Very nice indeed!

Lionheart
April 30th, 2009, 22:07
BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A fine looking Atlantian transport! Love it!

Those engine nacelles (in extended mode) look brilliant. Great textures Michael.

Excellent work man.. Awesome...

On VC's; that is where the fun begins... Making wild little fun bits that animate by clicks is addictive.

Bill

Piglet
May 1st, 2009, 20:09
One thing about making Sci Fi stuff is often the pilots'/crews' view sucks!
If I made that pupple jumper, I would cut side windows for that cockpit, TV show accuracy be danmed...
That's why my Cylon Raider has no window louvers, and my Y-Wing had extra canopy roof windows.
However, a good compramise would be to make the side "windows" look like some kind of viewing monitors, with green-tinted glass(or other color) to simulate synthic view tech.

Of course, knowing how I am I'll have to find a way to do the city of Atlantis and possible Stargate sceneries also, LOL

Anywhere in Canada will do!

MCDesigns
May 1st, 2009, 21:13
One thing about making Sci Fi stuff is often the pilots'/crews' view sucks!
If I made that pupple jumper, I would cut side windows for that cockpit, TV show accuracy be danmed...
That's why my Cylon Raider has no window louvers, and my Y-Wing had extra canopy roof windows.
However, a good compramise would be to make the side "windows" look like some kind of viewing monitors, with green-tinted glass(or other color) to simulate synthic view tech.

Anywhere in Canada will do!

Good point Tim, and one of the main reasons I never pursued aircraft design more seriously, never thought I could achieve the accuracy and I am my own worse rivet counter. One of the reasons I chose this craft was the view from the show, but I am finding it hard to match the feeling/ambiance from the show cockpit in an FSX model, mostly due to the sim limitations and having to rework textures, not to mention the airfile.

I'm trying not to be to ambitious, but after one thing goes right I start to think about the next thing I want to try and that cool HUD they have is on the list somewhere, LOL.

Lionheart
May 2nd, 2009, 00:58
that cool HUD they have is on the list somewhere, LOL.

MC Designs

Oh man.. That would be a cool thing to do. Dang that would be wild....

On the Jumper, you might try lots of shading and some 'lived in' appearences or blemishes (scratches and dings inside the interior).

When you first start out on a VC though, it always looks spartan. Once you start putting in all the gismo's, armrests, switch panels, seat belts, it fills up fine and quick.

Awesome work Michael.

I was watching Atlantis tonight. We dont realise it, but alot of work goes into that show. The architecture for the city is immense, the interior scenes and all.

One thing I always wanted to do was figure out how to model a vehicle on its exterior to be 'cloaked', like a Klingon Bird of Prey. Have it appear shimmering where you can barely see the outer edges. I was trying to figure out how to make a shell appear around the outside. Maybe something that hides all parts in the Exterior model node, and causes the 'shimmering' thing to appear. Couldnt be smooth though unfortunately, unless you had timers and 3 or more model shells (exterior shimmering thingie) that appear, disappear in 'cascade' style; (going, disappearing, almost gone, shimmering thingie; then in vice versa for appearing).

Rambling.. oops..

Bill

EgoR64
May 2nd, 2009, 11:53
:ernae:

Nice, I like it, VTOL ?

Many Cheers !!