PDA

View Full Version : Visit To Rochester MN Game Store

casey jones
October 14th, 2008, 12:32
I went to Rochester this AM, while waiting for my friend to come back from Carabou coffee I saw a game store...this is great I thought and my head filled with visions of buying Wings Of Power for my add on for Ridgewell Air Base England for FS9, I walked in and began to look around...but everything was Play Station, X-Box..it was wall to wall, everywhere I turned in the store was play station games and X-Box there were boxes of used Playstation and X-Box Games, I asked the salesman where is all the PC Games? He looked at me and said we just have a very small rack in the corner..."where Have You Been"? he asked PC games just do'nt sell anymore, Do you have WOP? He said "Never heard of it". I walked out...it was not a good visit.

Cheers

Casey:redf:

Odie
October 14th, 2008, 13:19
I know the feeling, Casey! Electronics Boutique used to be my store of choice "back in the day" when PC games ruled the shelf-space, now I rarely go in there as the PC releases are so sparce in terms of games that interest me. I remember having my bookcase lined with the boxes of the current games that I had installed and the week that something didn't come in at EB was a rare one !

I have an X-box 360 and a PS3 but there's a connection when playing a 1st person shooter on a PC that I don't get when playing on a console. I remember literally leaning into monitor to try and get a look around a corner when playing DOOM, lest I stumble into a horde of monsters !

I got the consoles to play my favorite fighting games, which seem to translate perfectly on the consoles versus the PC.

Come on Blizzard....I've got reserved HD space for Diablo3 !

azflyboy
October 14th, 2008, 13:33
The simple fact is that it's much easier to run a store selling console games than PC games anymore. Compared to a few years ago, there are fewer PC games being released, and more and more PC games are being released online with services like Steam or D2D, that totally eliminate the need for a store.

Consoles also have the advantage of all being able to run games exactly the same way (which makes development much easier), and the fact that developers only need to work to one set of hardware specifications means that development is much smoother and fewer customers get annoyed when the game doesn't work on their system.

Gdavis101
October 14th, 2008, 14:35
I used to go to my local Chips N Bits Store and I remember when it was shelf upon shelf of PC games and just a few racks of console games.. Those were the days! I went into Fred Meyers about a month ago when my Xbox 360 was being repaired and was going to buy a new game for my PC, but I found that the selection was pretty sad.

Bottom line console gaming is easier, automatic updates, and little or no tweaking makes it a lot more appealing. Of course I don't feel this way about the Flight Sim community and its products, but I haven't bought a regular game for the PC in a long time.. Flight Simulators and Train sims are the order of the day for me now on my PC.

MCDesigns
October 14th, 2008, 15:56
I loathe console gameplay (have 2 of them, Xbox360 and PS2 for my nephews) and do all I can to support PC gaming, even buying titles I know I can't play on my system yet, just to support their development. So far I can usually find what I need at Best Buy or walmart. Guess when that stops, I'll consider giving up gaming till something better than consoles comes along

OBIO
October 15th, 2008, 09:01
I have an X-box 360 and a PS3 but there's a connection when playing a 1st person shooter on a PC that I don't get when playing on a console. I remember literally leaning into monitor to try and get a look around a corner when playing DOOM, lest I stumble into a horde of monsters !

I got the consoles to play my favorite fighting games, which seem to translate perfectly on the consoles versus the PC.

Come on Blizzard....I've got reserved HD space for Diablo3 !

I am glad to know that I am not the only goof ball who tries to see around corners by leaning in toward the monitor and actually trying to look around the corner.

Diablo 3....I haven't even completed Act III of Diablo 2 yet...and I've had the Diablo Battle Chest for 3 or 4 years. I have gotten to Act III several times, only to loose everything to system crashes. One of these years I will actually get to see Diablo!

OBIO