PDA

View Full Version : I have a Question for the repaint guys please!!!

Marvin Carter
April 27th, 2009, 15:49
I have a Question for the repaint guys. When I convert from extended bitmap to DDs I get bad pixelation, colors bleed or change all together. What is causing this, at a lose. I use Martins DXT to convert,I convert from Extended 16 bit 565 to DDS DXT1?
Help please!!!! Thanks
Marvin Carter

Roger
April 27th, 2009, 15:54
Marvin,
Have you got the most up-to-date version of DXTBMP? There were issues with earlier versions.

Marvin Carter
April 27th, 2009, 15:58
I Think it is, I will check and see if it is?
Thanks!!!
Marvin Carter

MCDesigns
April 27th, 2009, 16:02
Also 16 bit 565 is low quality to start with and could be the culprit.

Marvin Carter
April 27th, 2009, 16:42
MCD I think it could be to, been setting up tims Storch for FSX and changind tetures over to dds and getting all of this probs, but syill check for the culprit. Would I be better off converting to 32- 8-888 first then converting to dds???
Marvin Carter

Cazzie
April 27th, 2009, 16:47
MCD I think it could be to, been setting up tims Storch for FSX and changind tetures over to dds and getting all of this probs, but syill check for the culprit. Would I be better off converting to 32- 8-888 first then converting to dds???
Marvin Carter

Also when converting to DDS, use DDS DXT5 in lieu of DXT1 for much better textures.

I normally use 32-bit .bmp textures when converting, but I converted manuele's excellent SVA5 and 9, which were 16-bit 565 .bmp textures, converted to DDS DXT5 and had no problems.

I have a fast system Marvin and I have taken to resizing my textures to 2048 in lieu of the FS9 standard of 1024 for FSX. I redo all of my repaints and the resolution is astounding on the larger textures. But I have to totally repaint the texctures, simply upsizing makes the original textures worse.

Caz

Marvin Carter
April 27th, 2009, 17:55
Tried DXT5, still went to crap??? Would this be a Vista 64 thingy????
Marvin Carter

lifejogger
April 27th, 2009, 18:39
Try opening the DDS files with the imagetool and then save it as a bmp file, then open the bmp file with DXT and send it to what ever you use to edit it. After edit send it back to DXT and save it as a bmp file then convert it to DDS with the image tool. This is what I do and it works for me.

EMatheson
April 27th, 2009, 19:29
did you remember to flip it upside down?
made that mistake myself converting from dds to DXT more than once...

Marvin Carter
April 27th, 2009, 21:28
Yep always flip them, about to give up, they convert to bit 888-8 32 with no prob and I get good frames. I may leave well enough alone. What i gather the sim reads dds better and first I beleave. But if they work in bit i"ll just keep it that way.
Thanks anyway guys!!!!!
Marvin Carter

jankees
April 27th, 2009, 21:51
If they work well with 32bit bmp, I'd leave it.
If you want to try once more, open the 32 bit textures in DXT, flip vertically and save as DXT5 dds. If that doesn't work, either you have an old DXTbmp, or something funny is going on...
at least you have working textures..

RobH
April 28th, 2009, 03:31
One other suggestion, mip-maps can sometimes cause unpleasant results. Check on the right side of your DXTbmp for a check box that has the words 'include mip maps' and uncheck it. I am at work right now, and not exactly sure on the wording, but it should say something about mip maps.

They had unpleasant results when saving a bmp file, not 100% sure if it has the same effect on dds files. Might be worth a try? Just a thought.:ernae: