PDA

View Full Version : Naval Questions part 27

Collin
April 26th, 2009, 15:16
Remember, these questions were composed between 1940 and 1945.

Questions

261 If you asked for an "egg on a raft" in a naval canteen, what would you get?

262 And if you asked for "a schooner on a rock"?

263 What member of a ship's company is know as a "killick"?

264 What is a "gash"?

265 What would you understand by a signal telling you that "Two joiners from the Tyne would button on at 1600"?

266 What was the "First Fleet"?

267 Who said, "England needs a victory"?

268 How did he give her one?

269 What do the letters Q.A.R.N.N.S. stand for?

270 What is a naval bootmaker called?

Answers next Sunday

Please note....question 268 is NOT written in todays idiom.

regards Collin:ernae:

CG_1976
April 27th, 2009, 07:25
#269 Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service

hewman100
April 28th, 2009, 02:22
261. Fried egg on fried bread.
262. A roast joint of meat surrounded by roast potatoes.
263. A Leading Seaman

PSULLYKEYS
April 28th, 2009, 14:00
264 spare, available, or leftovers

265 two crew from the Tyne will board at 4PM.

266 What was the "First Fleet"?
First Fleet is the name given to the 11 ships which sailed from Great Britain on 13 May 1787 with about 1400 people to establish the first European colony in New South Wales. It was a convict settlement, marking the beginnings of transportation to Australia. The fleet was led by Captain
(later Admiral) Arthur Phillip. They arrived at Botany Bay on 18 to 20 January, 1788.

270 snob
:guinness:

Collin
May 3rd, 2009, 15:44
Answers.

261 A poached egg.

262 Roast meat on batter.

263 A Leading Seaman (from the anchor on his arm).

264 Anything surplus to requirements (from the Maltese).

265 That 2 ships from the Tyne would join the convoy at 4pm.

266 The first ships that took convicts to New South Wales, under Captain Phillip (1787).

267 Admiral Sir John Jervis.

268 By winning the Battle of Cape St Vincent (14 Feb 1797).

269 Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service.

270 A snob.

Well done all.

3/7charlie
May 4th, 2009, 06:12
I seem to remember that 'gash' is also garbage, an idiom still in use in most english speaking navy's today. 'Gash Gun' refers to the garbage lock aboard a sub, back before the leaf creatures decreeded nothing may be jettisoned at sea. Except water bottles and discarded hackysacs.
How 'bout some nav air idom.
'crabfat'
'goofers'
'bosuns hammer'
and 3 peculiar to the Canadian Navy today
'The Purple Crown'
'The Great Grey Shuddering @%$! House'
'Falling out of the $?&*%#$ Sky'

'Democracy is a poor system...but its ten percent better than anything else." - Jubal Harshaw
3/7charlie

Collin
May 4th, 2009, 09:48
Naval Air idioms....
NAVAL AIR Idioms!!!

3/7Charlie this forum is for seamen not brylcream boys...wash yer mouth out.:icon_lol::icon_lol:

dam flying contraptions, smelly noisy machines, messing up clean decks with their over indulged systems, should all be ditched overboard....

3/7charlie
May 4th, 2009, 10:46
Hey Colin. Yah, okay .But, Goofers, bosun hammer, and the purple crown are all squidy terms. any guesses? Or does the scuttle give too narrow a veiw?
You may also pause to remember that some of the most sucessfull naval commanders of the last 90 years were surface drivers that could see beyond their ink sacks and use ALL of the assets at hand, even-GASP-air power, which has been an integral part of seapower for some time. Otherwise, you may as well man up HMS Victory and start squeezing limes and pomegranate's. And she is a lovely Ship.
"Ships? I see no ships!" - Lord Nelson
"Cheers!"-(clinking noggins in the mess aboard)-" And another dead sailor!"
Tounge firmly in cheek-3/7charlie

Collin
May 4th, 2009, 13:01
3/7Charlie, why don't you start your own quiz?

Trouble is that each service has its own idioms whether they are RN, USN or Merchant, (and gawd help us Coastguard).

Thought Nelson said "Signal, I see no signal", or was it "a ship, my kingdom for a ship!"...

regards Collin:ernae::ernae:

crashaz
May 6th, 2009, 20:53
Black shoes - brown shoes... it's all Navy here. :ernae:

Maybe we need some old USN stuff here... the RN stuff is over my head sometimes.... I have to go back to ol books written back in the day when Britannia ruled the waves. :pop4:

I am getting a kick out of the news stories about the Chinese 'confronting' our Navy out in the Far East.

One thing the French and Chinese have in common... they are formidable on land but wet their pants @ sea. :icon_lol:

CG_1976
May 6th, 2009, 23:35
Well as a Coastie I dont mind the RN Stuff, its very educational and historical. And what does gawd help us coast guard mean?? Lets remember who always protects its homeland shores to relieve the navy. I site ww2 as the USCG employed depth charges against German Subs and Japenese Subs. Who said Coasties are soft, Errrrrrr.

crashaz
May 8th, 2009, 15:14
Naw I was just having fun with Collin... the RN ruled the seas for 300+ years.... USN what.... 70.

You are right about the Coast Guard too... while the Navy goes and plays in the world's blue waters.... they get stuck doing the hard and boring yet vital role of really defending our nation's shores directly.

Also was not kidding about the Chinese... they are so confused... their Army owns the Navy.... Peoples Liberation Army Navy.

LOLOLOLOL!

Collin
May 8th, 2009, 16:26
(and gawd help us Coastguard).

regards Collin:ernae::ernae:

Sailors see you in the same light as Customs.:icon_lol: