PDA

View Full Version : 'Maple Syrup Going "Extinct"...'

Panther_99FS
April 26th, 2009, 12:39
http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25-things-vanishing-from-america?icid=main|main|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww. walletpop.com%2Fspecials%2Ftop-25-things-vanishing-from-america

Cloud9Gal
April 26th, 2009, 12:59
What??!! :icon_eek: We can't let maple syrup disappear...I grew up on that stuff! We had everything from maple butter for our toasts to maple taffy poured on white snow!

CG_1976
April 26th, 2009, 13:05
Not here in Northern WI. Maple syrup is still selling strong fresh and home made.

Cloud9Gal
April 26th, 2009, 13:08
Not here in Northern WI. Maple syrup is still selling strong fresh and home made.

How about sending me a few bottles?? :bump:

cheezyflier
April 26th, 2009, 13:13
i decided to edit my post because there was too much on that list that either wasn't news, or actually deserved to end.

Drake
April 26th, 2009, 13:28
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/drake21734/supertroopers.jpg

Snuffy
April 26th, 2009, 13:55
That's impossible! I gotta have my maple ... :173go1:

Hmmm ... mebbe I need to move back home and start harvesting!

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
April 26th, 2009, 13:56
It was one of the best years on record this time round so we will hope it lasts another while yet

Brian_Gladden
April 26th, 2009, 14:12
Ain't scarce here in Vermont...

Brian

AckAck
April 26th, 2009, 17:32
Ain't scarce here in Vermont...

Brian

Still have problems with the trees exploding when they aren't harvested? :d

Brian

Silver Fox
April 26th, 2009, 19:36
Hell! Supply sucked because kids don't want to work the sugar bush anymore! Piles of Maple tress just dripping sap, no one to collect it!

Maybe they should start telling the teens where the terms "sugar shack" and "gimme some sugar" come from. :)

Cloud9Gal
April 26th, 2009, 19:55
Hell! Supply sucked because kids don't want to work the sugar bush anymore! Piles of Maple tress just dripping sap, no one to collect it!

Maybe they should start telling the teens where the terms "sugar shack" and "gimme some sugar" come from. :)

LOL! That would do it!! :wiggle:

Cazzie
April 28th, 2009, 03:59
We could probably add to that list "the American automobile", which will in the future merely be a "niche" item.

Caz

Brian_Gladden
April 28th, 2009, 05:43
We could probably add to that list "the American automobile", which will in the future merely be a "niche" item.

Caz

GM just canned Pontiac. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! If they were gonna get rid of a division, can Buick... About the only GM I would have bought was a Pontiac...

<--- Goes off grumbling in a corner

As for kids working in the sugarbush... Most producers around here use a pipeline system. The tree taps all feed a central collection tank through polypropylene tubing. Much more efficient.

Brian

cheezyflier
April 28th, 2009, 06:17
GM just canned Pontiac. Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot! If they were gonna get rid of a division, can Buick... About the only GM I would have bought was a Pontiac...

<--- Goes off grumbling in a corner

Brian

you'll certainly get no argument from me on that one. i agree with you completely. however, i think someone at pontaic or gm lost sight of what they were all about for a while there. for example look at the trans -am. one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) american sports cars ever, next to the 'vette. the ws6 was probably the coolest of the cool. but they weren't selling because they were overpriced, and bloated. instead of fixing it, they dropped it.

you could also add to the list
bananas. the cavendish banana, the one you normally buy at the grocery store, is quickly being wiped off the face of the earth by a fungus called "panama disease". chances are pretty good that in 20 years, you won't be buying the bananas you are enjoying today. this is actually not the first time this has happened.

JoeW
April 28th, 2009, 07:59
About 5 or 7 years ago I heard that they were going to discontinue Oldsmobile. I think they are still in production. ...... Oh well.... There is Studibaker, Nash Packard that we can still use.