PDA

View Full Version : Ai ?

bobhegf
October 14th, 2008, 08:13
What info does the AI use in CFS2? Which increases preformance, MOI higher numers or lower numers?We had at one time a post about it but I think it was lost in the crash.This is one of thoes peaces of info that needs to be kept someplace.:d

OBIO
October 14th, 2008, 08:49
bob

Sometimes the MOI needs decreased, sometimes it needs increased to get AI behavior improved. Luckily for us, Tango Romeo did a very easy to understand tutorial on improving AI performance and uploaded it to the library.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Tango_Romeo&ammm=15&pap=2#download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/../index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Tango_Romeo&ammm=15&pap=2#download)

I have attempted to improve AI behavior using this tute and have only had 1 success. This is not because the information in the tutorial is wrong...it's imply because I don't have the patience to keep working until I get the needed results. I gave up on getting any help from my AI wingmen early on and have come to see them as "targets of opportunity" to be shot down just like the enemy AI.

OBIO

simonu
October 14th, 2008, 11:24
As I understand things, AI use the air file only to fly, flight dynamic settings in the aircraft.cfg only affect player aircraft.

Allen
October 14th, 2008, 11:39
As I understand things, AI use the air file only to fly, flight dynamic settings in the aircraft.cfg only affect player aircraft.

It's not true I don't care what any one says. Flight dynamic settings in the aircraft.cfg over ride Player and AI. You can make the AI fly like bricks by lowering all aircraft.cfg setings. I made the AI unable to turn at all by cutting down the aileron_effectiveness seting.

bearcat241
October 14th, 2008, 11:43

Not so mon ami... i've had much success with improved AI performance with cfg tweaks in MOI and Flight Tuning, without touching the air file at all.

Most recently, i had to upgrade the AI performance of my Ki-100 fleet, to make them more competitive with my Bearcats in QC and mock 1946 action. All i did was dial up the control surface effectiveness in the cfg's FT sections to make them more maneuverable in turning fights and increased the power and thrust scales from 1.0 to to 1.1.

Tango_Romeo
October 14th, 2008, 14:00
...you're both correct in your statements. Whether or not entries in the CFG file effect AI performance depend on which entries you are talking about.

You will note that all CFG files (as with all AIR files) do not contain the same entries. The reason for this is that the CFG and AIR files we use in CFS2 are a mixture of all the previous versions of FS and CFS. This will be self-evident to many folks who work with these files extensively.

I'll try to put some examples together when I get a few minutes.

The bottomline to the original question is that AI behavior is a most complex subject effected by many, many factors. There is no simple answer that covers every AIR and CFG file...it depends on the files.:isadizzy:

However, the most important single factor in lack of AI performance (ability to deliver weapons and high-performance) is MOI. Player aircraft can traditionally have higher MOI settings than can be overcome by the AI control system. This has been proven over and over again. :wavey:

(The MOI settings are also some of those settings that are sometimes present in the AIR file only, sometimes in the CFG file only and sometimes in both places. This is because these files come from so many bastardized sources that no two are quite the same.)

Tango_Romeo
October 14th, 2008, 19:25
What info does the AI use in CFS2? Which increases preformance, MOI higher numers or lower numers?We had at one time a post about it but I think it was lost in the crash.This is one of thoes peaces of info that needs to be kept someplace.:d

...for your specific case, lower the MOI numbers in increments and check performance. Max performance usually falls somewhere in the 5000-10000 range, but can be as high as 20000 in some planes. Jets in particular tend to have very high MOIs compared to props, and this makes them the most likely to need attention.

If your plane has MOI settings in both the CFG and AIR files, change both of them to avoid any issues with which takes precedence. Lowering MOI numbers to assist the AI will not have any detrimental effect on the player aircraft. :ernae:

bobhegf
October 14th, 2008, 19:35
Thanks Tango_Romeo for the info. I am trying to improve the best I can the preformance of the AI fighters.This info will help.The bigest problem I am having is with aired. I can go in and change things but it will not save them.It goes back to the previous settings everytime.:d

Tango_Romeo
October 14th, 2008, 20:46
Thanks Tango_Romeo for the info. I am trying to improve the best I can the preformance of the AI fighters.This info will help.The bigest problem I am having is with aired. I can go in and change things but it will not save them.It goes back to the previous settings everytime.:d

....but after you wipeout the old number and enter the new value in the box in AirEd, are you hitting ENTER and then closing all of the dropdowns before saving the modified file?

bobhegf
October 14th, 2008, 20:59
No I`am not,thanks I needed that.Tango_Romeo you are a life saver.:ernae::d

Allen
October 14th, 2008, 21:04
It too bad that Air Wrench isn't free since it alot nicer to work with than AirEd but I cheap I'll take free over nothing.

bobhegf
October 15th, 2008, 07:47
I spent most of last night working with the F4F and stock zero.I took the MOI from the 1% F4F and 1% Zero and boy it made a difference.I all so lowered the weight of the F4F to that of the stock zero and that made a real difference.I am going to spend the rest of the day working with them to see what I can come up with.I do think that all the stock AI aircraft could be toughened up abit.I am not sure how to do it so if anyone can help let me know:d

bearcat241
October 15th, 2008, 11:52
I do think that all the stock AI aircraft could be toughened up abit.I am not sure how to do it so if anyone can help let me know:d

Assuming you have DPED, read this Bob, particularly the section on [PARTS] window.

Tango_Romeo
October 15th, 2008, 16:33
That reference from Bearcat is an excellent one for DPs... AND if you really want to get deeply into this AIR file business, you may want to know that the entries in the AIR file that are performance graphs, as opposed to numerical entries, CAN BE ALTERED. You export the graphs from AirEd to M$ Excel and redraw the graph, then import it back into the AIR file via AirEd.

This can make it possible to alter basic performance in areas that could not otherwise be accessed. :wavey:

bobhegf
October 16th, 2008, 15:27
I think I have figured out one reason the Ai aircraft are easy to kill.I found that I can turn inside of them almost anytime I want.I have got to figure out a way to tighten the AI`s turning raidous.Another thing and this is something we can`t do anything about is there basic ACM.I think I have come up with a way to make things alittle more interesting. :d

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 15:51
I think I have figured out one reason the Ai aircraft are easy to kill.I found that I can turn inside of them almost anytime I want.I have got to figure out a way to tighten the AI`s turning raidous.Another thing and this is something we can`t do anything about is there basic ACM.

Bob, i think we've already covered that "way" you speak of, both in lowering MOI numbers and increasing aileron and elevator effectiveness. I guarantee you, do these two things sufficiently and you got the fight you're lookin' for in ANY enemy AI. If you're still not seeing satisfactory results, you apparently haven't adjusted enough yet. :kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
October 16th, 2008, 16:00
...or without the G-forces factor engaged? :kilroy:

bobhegf
October 16th, 2008, 16:03
I am flying with the G forces engaged along with the black out and red out engaged.I found that just before the player goes to a complete blackout the G readings are about 6.5:d

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 16:24
I am flying with the G forces engaged along with the black out and red out engaged.I found that just before the player goes to a complete blackout the G readings are about 6.5:d

Hmmm....i get the feelin' that we're not hearin' the whole AI story here Bob...;) Think i'd better step out now and let you work this out. :icon_lol:

bobhegf
October 16th, 2008, 18:12
I got tired of hearing how great the AI were in other combat sims and how bad the AI were in CFS2.I decided to see if I could some how I could improve them. I don`t know much about computers or programing but I am learning and doing what I can to help the over all sim play in CFS2.:d

OBIO
October 16th, 2008, 19:12

If your plane has MOI settings in both the CFG and AIR files, change both of them to avoid any issues with which takes precedence. Lowering MOI numbers to assist the AI will not have any detrimental effect on the player aircraft. :ernae:

I have an experience that is contrary to this. While converting the Alpha Sim Supermarine Swift FR5 to CFS2, I was able to get the player aircraft to fly as smooth as a baby's tookus and very very close to the performance stats that I found on a number of sites...However, the AI would fly about for a few minutes then begin crashing. So, I went into the Air and Config files and reduced the MOI settings by 50%.....afterward my player aircraft would shake and bouce on the runway so badly that it would explode. Set the MOIs back to the original settings in the AIR file and the player aircraft went back to handling like a dream and being as smooth as a baby's tookus.

Again, this just demonstrates that there is no One Size Fits All approach to improving AI behavior...just as there is not One Size Fits All approach to improving flight characteristics for player air craft. What works for one plane may not work for the next.

OBIO

bobhegf
October 16th, 2008, 20:11
That is true for any downloaded aircraft. Sometimes it is better to have a player and then a sep. AI aircraft.In this case I am working with the stock Zero and the stock F4F.I went to the 1% team section and got the MOI numbers and put them into the stock zero.I have gotten the turn radious to a point that the zero will almost out turn me.I pushed up the power scaler as well as the thrust scaler and tightened up the turn radious and tested the AI as a player AC and it flies great.In combat three of them just tore me a new backside. Before I could easly nail them.It was all I could do to get inside them any at all.They don`t stay stright long enough for me to roll onto there six anymore eather.That is what I am looking for.:d

bobhegf
October 17th, 2008, 02:03
Well I have gone about as far as I can go with the stock Zero.All I can say is I flew the mod Zero AI and it flyes like an Extra 300.I tis very touchy on the controlls so you can`t slam it around but once you get use to it it is fun to fly and play with. It does some great aerobatics.Now I consider myself a good combat pilot, not the best but good. Against the ace AI stock Zero I had no problem taking on up to about six at a time and comming out ok.NOW, it is a different story.They hand me my head.:d

bobhegf
October 17th, 2008, 07:05
I think I have gotten them just right.I don`t think that anyone will complane about the this Zero AI being an easy kill.This is me using no fun rules.