PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane question...

Rami
April 25th, 2009, 18:43
To all,

I have been using Air Wrench to go through and fix airfiles on aircraft that I felt either under or overperformed, and have come to the Hawker Hurricane.

I pretty much have the Mk. I with the three-bladed prop, but have not found performance data for the 2-bladed Watts model. Would anyone happen to have this information?

sandar
April 26th, 2009, 00:12
I don't have too much information on the two bladed MkI, but what I have is:

Engine=1,030 hp Merlin II
Climb rate 2,420 ft/min
Max speed at 18,500 ft=320 mph (316 mph at 17,500 ft in another source) NB speed is in mph NOT knots
Max service ceiling= 33,200 ft
climb to 15,000 ft= 6 minutes 23 seconds
NB. the climb rate and time to 15,000 ft don't quite tally (by about 200ft), but I believe the climb rate of 2,420 ft/min is close to maximum rather than most efficient.

weight empty= 4,670 lbs.
weight loaded=6,600 lbs.

Hope this helps, I expect there are different sets of figures somewhere, but these are taken from an old RAF technical sheet and probably represent a reasonably accurate average.

Quick edit: these figures are for the two bladed wooden prop MkI, there is no mention of the manufacturer of the prop.

Rami
April 26th, 2009, 01:55
The climb rate for the three-bladed Hurri is about 2,520 feet a minute, and I used a speed of 318mph at about 17,000 feet.

I am guessing that the 2-bladed performance would be degraded somewhat.

hewman100
April 26th, 2009, 08:34
The Watts 2-blader prop like most fixed pitch props were compromise between the coarse required for take-off/landing and fine used at cruise/altitude, So you'd be probably about right.

Early DH three-blade props were two-pitch units.

It wasn't until the trials with the Rotol prop that a Constant Speed Unit was fitted to the Merlin III. This altered the pitch according to airspeed.

Initiallly the spline was only able to take the Rotol but this soon changed for a 'Universal' that allowed DH and Hamilton Standard to also be fitted

Rami
April 26th, 2009, 08:47
Thanks, guys. I've adjusted some airfiles already with satisfactory results.

This includes the AH Bf-109e - I raised the speed to about 358 MPH, and the climb rate to about 3,100 feet/min.

I also worked on the Dewoitine D-520 and Bloch Mb-152 that Bismarck is almost finished with. The AH Hurricane has been adjusted, as well as the Fiat Cr-42 Falco.

I'm going to attack the FDGv2 P-47d Thunderbolt and the AcWai Mustang.

If anyone wants to test these, please let me know.

Maxstuka
April 26th, 2009, 11:57
Thanks, guys. I've adjusted some airfiles already with satisfactory results.

This includes the AH Bf-109e - I raised the speed to about 358 MPH, and the climb rate to about 3,100 feet/min.

I also worked on the Dewoitine D-520 and Bloch Mb-152 that Bismarck is almost finished with. The AH Hurricane has been adjusted, as well as the Fiat Cr-42 Falco.

I'm going to attack the FDGv2 P-47d Thunderbolt and the AcWai Mustang.

If anyone wants to test these, please let me know.

I make a list of speed and power, but do not know performance of hurricane mk1 watt.
I have more of 1 files to upload but I can upload! :icon34:
If you can search this performance, give me the data, and I can add in the list this Hurricane.

Rami
April 26th, 2009, 17:41
I ran the FDGv2 P-47 Thunderbolt and the Ac Wai Mustang through Air Wrench and achieved performance much closer to specs, and without any adverse effects on flight behavior.