PDA

View Full Version : Messing with AI landings...what fun!

OBIO
April 25th, 2009, 17:34
Earlier today, I was having a boat load of fun playing with the Alpha Sim S-55...doing some "stunt" flying around the Seattle-Tacoma Air Port (the default airport that FS9 starts you at). While doing some nose drags, some sideways thrill rides, etc., I noticed that there were two planes coming in for landing. I put my helo into skew mode and positioned it near the run way, about half way down the strip. I watched the planes get closer and closer. Once close enough, I could see that the first plane was a 747. I waited until the plane was maybe 25 feet off the runway, then skewed my helo onto the runway...forcing the big Boeing to go back to full power and climb...that plane just missed the top of my helo. The second plane was a 737 or something (not real good at IDing modern jet tube liners), and it had already aborted its approach...so I hit the Q button and shot my helo directly into its flight path...which was maybe 100 feet up. That plane did some pretty hard climbing and a hard turn to the right to keep from hitting my helo.

While it was fun messing with the AIs as they were landing, I was really impressed with how well those AI planes reacted to the sudden changes in their approach patterns. They behaved very much like one would imagine real world pilots would react. Not sure who dig the coding for AI behavior in FS9, but they did a really good job with it.

OBIO

cheezyflier
April 25th, 2009, 19:10
well, now i have to try it too :running:

FengZ
April 25th, 2009, 20:20
wow, i didn't know AI reacted like this! I need to go try it too. They usually just plow right into me from 6'o clock during my final...causing me to fall out of the sky while they go about their landing...so i now i use AI Smooth to ensure that this doesn't happen.

maybe because i have plane-collision turned off?

great info...off to FS9 to test it...

-feng

cheezyflier
April 26th, 2009, 05:46
i went to new york and i did manage to cause a lear to abort, but after that i got caught up in landing my huey on buildings.:wiggle:

EgoR64
April 26th, 2009, 05:56
:wavey:

Hi,

LOL - This is fun to do, I beleive the AI are Set to Yield to the User, you can do the same thing on the Tarmac at any Airport, they will stop and wait for you to move. It is fun !!

Dangerousdave26
April 26th, 2009, 06:09
Guys you are missing the best part. Tune your comm to the tower landing frequency. You can here ATC yelling at you to ge off the runway you don't have clearance and ATC telling them to Abort landing.

Now don't try the opposite of messing with their take offs they are not detered and they win every time.

Seems to be a flaw in FS that AI planes will not get hurt by a mid air collison but they will whip up on your plane like mad. :pop4: :gameoff:

I landed dcc's P-38 on the runway as a 747 was taking off from KPBI I had multiplayer allow collisons off and thought that worked with AI. The wing sheared off the Canopy (and probably my head) disabling the aircraft causing it to sit on the runway smoking. That was cool!

OBIO
April 26th, 2009, 07:45
I did find that once an AI is on the runway...that it is not a good idea to get in their way...they will simply plow you over. They will abort a landing, but will not veer off the tarmac to avoid you during take off or once they have landed.

OBIO