PDA

View Full Version : a new ard?

Mâra Trilokadev
April 25th, 2009, 15:59
Hi All,

I am thinking about replacing my trusty Nvidia 7950 GX2 with 1GB video ram card. It works reasonably well for FSX and other games but I am wondering if I can do better without spending a whole lot of money. There's a lot out there and I'm rather chagrined to admit I haven't kept up my tech knowledge and now really have no idea what I'm doing.

The rest of my system is (don't laugh) an Intel 6600 Core-Duo at 2.4GHz (Conroe chip IIRC) with 4 GB RAM running Vista 32-bit home premium.

Any advice is most welcome.

Cheers,
MT

stansdds
April 26th, 2009, 04:12
I've been really pleased with my Zotac 8800GT factory overclocked card. It's only 512MB, but I'm pretty sure there are 8800GT cards with 1MB. A good number of people have recommended the 8800GTS. I must admit to not knowing much about ATI cards as they do not render the IL2 Sturmovik sims as well as Nvidia cards. For MicroSoft flight sims you don't need a high end video card, you need as much CPU muscle as you can afford.

hey_moe
April 26th, 2009, 05:57
The video card helps some, but the processor,MB or memory is where you will see the biggest difference...Mike

Mâra Trilokadev
April 27th, 2009, 12:09
Thanks for the info - I think I'll look into the possibility of upgrading the processor then ans see what shakes out from there.

Cheers,
MT