PDA

View Full Version : Hudson engine trouble_HELP...

fleurdelys
April 25th, 2009, 04:43
:kilroy::help: this one has me scratching my head...
I'm trying to add some eye candy on the startup sequence of the plane (Hudson from Alphasim) and after placing the effect (smoke + residue fire clearing) on the right side of the right engine, it also shows on the right side of the left engine...:kilroy:
And placing the effect on the left side of the left engine, it also shows on the left side of the right engine...:kilroy:

Considering that these engines only have one concentrated exhaust per engine, each on the same side as the engine (left on the left and right on the right), I have too many to show...:kilroy:

I've looked everywhere in the files for some hint as to the reason behind this and can't find it...

This is the first plane that behaves like this and was wondering if any of you could help me out in this matter ?

Tried to add a pic (worth a thousand words) but the upload gives me a failure message everytime...

java2srv
April 25th, 2009, 05:55
Hello,

I hope others will add some further detail, just off the top of my head perhaps the effects file (.fx) defines the effect on both sides of a centerline. This sort of implies you are using one of the existing effects and are not writing one of your own.

Just a guess. You can look at the .fx effects files in Notepad, they are plain text files. I would make a copy before I started editing one.

The description of the .fx file format is in one of the SDK documents, you can get them here from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857

I forget which one covers Effects, these are self-extracting archives, they install into a folder you chose and include Word documents, examples, and tools.

:wiggle:

Milton Shupe
April 25th, 2009, 06:54
The fs2004_sdk_special_effects is the Effects SDK name.

For you specific engine / exhaust setup, java2srv has it correct. The engine effects are designed to work from the engine location centerline as stated in the aircraft.cfg. What you apply to one engine is applied to all.

To do this with an fx, you will need two ... one for the left side, one for the right side. Then, use a gauge to control when the effect shows.

This has many advantages in that you can control when, where, and even intensities and colors of smoke, fire, and added effects. To use a gauge this way, you must add the effect in Lights or Smoke sections of the cfg.

You can do the same for fuel dump effects.

The L-049 Connie by John Howard White uses these techniques if you wish to see an example. The gauge used is named "Throttle" I believe and is written by the one of the panel gauge designers for that project, Hans-Joerg Naegele.

fleurdelys
April 25th, 2009, 07:08
Bonjour Java2SRV,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my cry for Help !

I know about the topic that you refer to but I think that this goes a little deeper than that...:kilroy:

If we look at the exhaust effects, I would think that there are at least two categories that could apply. There is one that is put in the Lights section and which goes on when you either put the lights on or use an XML type of gauge programming like the one that I use when the plane is up and running. This one is from Krazy's gauge and enables the effect, without having to put on the lights when the engine is running at roughly 50% throttle...:kilroy:
All you need to do is find the correct location to set it up and you're in business...

The other one which is causing the problems actually is programmed somewhere in the startup sequence and this is where you put your "engstrt" smoke and fire effect which lasts for just about 1 to 1.5 second when you start your engines.
The hidden programming enables the use of most "engstrt" effects as it refers to the engine location and almost everybody is content with just some smoke to start with...:jump:
and without being too precise at that...!

But as in my case, I need to be precise and like my smoke and fire effect to come out of the exhaust tube and not from all around the engine where there should be no smoke unless the engine is on fire...:kilroy:

Building such an effect takes longer as you have to contend with the hidden programming which gives the engine location to the processor and uses the FX in relation to it...:kilroy:

As I said, this is the first instance that I find where the programming seems to have chosen from the start that the effect should go also on the other engine, without taking into consideration that it should not apply to this case since there is only one exhaust per engine...
So, when I finally get the exact location (and this location needs to be programmed in the effect itself) in relation to the engine settings, it puts the same on the other engine !
Hence, I get double effects for my money...:kilroy:

What i need is an idea as to what file houses these instructions so I can correct them and get back to having only one effect show.

Am I being clear as mud or what :sleep: ?

I'm hoping that one of you will get the idea and direct me to the solution, eventually...

Thanks for your help,

Fleurdelys

fleurdelys
April 25th, 2009, 07:15
Bonjour Milton,

Your answer came in as I was answering and this opens up a new possibility which I will look into tonight...

Saturday chores take precedence (so says my wife)...:kilroy:

Thank you for your help,

Jean-Robert

Milton Shupe
April 25th, 2009, 07:20
And, there is another possibility if you do xml gauge coding:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=14135