PDA

View Full Version : 'F-22 Replacement? - Boeing F-15SE 'Silent Eagle'

Panther_99FS
April 23rd, 2009, 13:54
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2009/q1/090317a_nr.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/03/boeing-f-15se-the-movie.html

Wing_Z
April 23rd, 2009, 14:55
Boeing has nailed the export versions of the F-35 with this one: as stealthy headon, but at a fraction of the cost. I love projects that come out of dedicated engineers working after hours on an idea...

Silver Fox
April 23rd, 2009, 15:55
To me, the inherent scalabilty if the F-15 family is what should make the biggest difference.

At the bottom end would be the current Charlie model with upgrade options ranging from vectored thrust to partial stealth. The SMTP version flew with canards, so that goes in the mix as well. Add in the Eagle's combat record and the institutional memory of current operators and it should be a winner.

Brian_Gladden
April 23rd, 2009, 18:39
I read an interesting article in this month's Flight Journal. The author suggested that with the price of the F-22 and the age of some of the F-15 airframes in service, he suggested the Eurofighter Typhoon as a worthy aircraft for many of the Air Guard units now flying F-16's and the older F-15A's. I know, being a "foreign" aircraft It would be a hard sell (Look at the KCX program) but not unheard of (Harrier) License production would be an option as well. Where stealth isn't needed the Typhoon is a solid performer and has been liked by every US pilot that has flown it.

Any thoughts on this?

Brian

Panther_99FS
April 23rd, 2009, 20:24
Where stealth isn't needed the Typhoon is a solid performer and has been liked by every US pilot that has flown it.

Any thoughts on this?

Brian

Brian,
Typhoon has quite a small RCS due to its composite material construction :)

tigisfat
April 23rd, 2009, 23:11
The Typhoon is such an outstanding aircraft that I wish we would've invented it. I like to put it like this: the raptor does a few things a 9 out of a ten, and then it's a handful at 3's. The Typhoon is all eights across the board. Alas, we didn't invent it. America needs to invest in itself right now, and that doesn't mean that we need more bloated projects offering a questionable capability/cost ratio. It means that our projects from here on out need to look more like the bird of prey and silent eagle projects.

I don't place much faith in dedicated stealth aircraft anymore, the concept is relative and it's a total package with only a portion directly contributed to RCS. I do, however, place a great amount of faith in programs like this one that offer up aircraft showing promise of doing everything an 8 out of 10.

Z-PurpleBubble
April 24th, 2009, 06:46
I wonder how many Typhoons the USAF could buy instead of the 180 F-22's...

I imagine that it is A LOT more than 185.

Not only that, but the capability that the Typhoon offers is impressive to say the least: the NAV, radar, countermeasures and the weapons are brilliant. Just take a look at the specs of the meteor BVR missile... If I'm not mistaking, it's the longest range BVR missile around.

And, license production would mean that no american jobs are lost (in the manufacturing part of the program anyway)

Just my 2 € cents worth.

PB

Brian_Gladden
April 24th, 2009, 07:55
And, license production would mean that no american jobs are lost (in the manufacturing part of the program anyway)

My thoughts exactly... Build them in Marrietta (Lockheed) or Fort Worth (Boeing).

Even if we kept them equipped with AMMRAMS and AIM-9X's it would still be a potent air to air platform.

Brian

Ferry_vO
April 24th, 2009, 08:45
Wonder if the RNLAF could buy those Silent Eagles instead of the JSF!

tigisfat
April 24th, 2009, 09:34
My thoughts exactly... Build them in Marrietta (Lockheed) or Fort Worth (Boeing).

Even if we kept them equipped with AMMRAMS and AIM-9X's it would still be a potent air to air platform.

Brian

I think Fort Worth is Lockheed as well.

Panther_99FS
April 24th, 2009, 15:40
Wonder if the RNLAF could buy those Silent Eagles instead of the JSF!

Weren't you guys looking into the Gripen :ques:

Ferry_vO
April 24th, 2009, 15:59
It's a loooong road to buy an aircraft here, Panther. Way too much politics involved I'm afraid... Last night the decision to buy the Lightning was postponed once again, but will will invest in a test aircraft of the F-35.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Gripen in the Dutch skies though, as the NG version is looking quite good. The biggest question are the air to ground capabilities of the Gripen, a role in which the F-16 was mostly used the last ten years or so. The F-35 can carry two JDAMs internally, not sure if the Gripen can carry these. The opponents we faced recently do not really require a stealth aircraft. The Gripen has a low RCS too, but needs to carry all its stores externally.
The purchase and maintenance of the Gripen might be cheaper, but we will also have to buy new tools etc when we switch from an American to a European manufacturer.