PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Help

IanHenry
April 23rd, 2009, 10:40
Hi,
I have been thinking about changing my computer monitor. I currently have a 19” ‘normal’ monitor and I was thinking of replacing it with a 22” widescreen one. Will I see any benefit from this swap or do I need to go up to 24” to see any real difference?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Also will the higher resolution that those monitors use have a detrimental effect on FSX’s performance?
<o:p> </o:p>
I have absolutely no knowledge about monitors, particularly the wide screen variety so any advice will be gratefully received.
Regards,
Ian

Mathias
April 23rd, 2009, 10:49
I did the switch from a single 19" *tube* to a a dual monitor 22" flat screen setup just recently.
The flat screen runs best at what they call the recommended setting (I believe that's it in English?) which is for my monitors at 1680x1050.
Been running on 1280x960 with the old monitor and I can't see any loss of performance with the new dual setup.
I love the visuals.
I find it particularly cool how you can zoom out of the cockpit while retaining crispy clear gauge graphics.

Henry
April 23rd, 2009, 10:58
I just changed from a 17" crt 1024x768
to a 20" lcd 1680 x 1050
there are a couple of things with a wide screen
2d panels are stretched and you need to change
3d vc in config
but i love it
H

Wing Nut
April 23rd, 2009, 11:12
My old monitor (lcd) died. Went to Cosco and for only $269 I bought a ViewSonic 24" wide screen. Native resolution 1900x1050. HDMI 1080p.

FSX has never looked better.

IanHenry
April 23rd, 2009, 12:20
Thanks for your replies guys.
The 192 monitor that I already have is a flat screen, so that’s why I was wondering if it was worth spending the money to go for a 22” wide screen.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I’ve seen a Hewlett Packard one in a shop that had ‘modes’, for example it has a game mode which significantly increased the colour saturation, but of course in a shop they are displaying a series of pictures designed to make them look good anyway.
Some of the monitors are described as ‘high definition’ although the specification of them looks to be no different to the rest or is this just a marketing ploy?
Regards,
Ian.

Henry
April 23rd, 2009, 12:26
I have software on my monitor
for such things but normaly i just set it the way i like
You may not see that much difference between a 19
and a 22 wide
i have a 20 wide and a 20 crt
the width is the same but the height is less
you may get less height than you have now
i would measure yours and check with the 22
H

gera
April 23rd, 2009, 12:28
I did the switch from a single 19" *tube* to a a dual monitor 22" flat screen setup just recently.
The flat screen runs best at what they call the recommended setting (I believe that's it in English?) which is for my monitors at 1680x1050.
Been running on 1280x960 with the old monitor and I can't see any loss of performance with the new dual setup.
I love the visuals.
I find it particularly cool how you can zoom out of the cockpit while retaining crispy clear gauge graphics.

This is a great way to go.....I have two 19" and its just nice, very nice....hope to go to 4 soon...............

6297J
April 23rd, 2009, 12:54
It depends what else you do with your PC. If you use it for processing photographs for example then a cheapo TN film 22" or 24" isn't really good enough and you might want to look at a SIPS or SPVA panel which gives a far superior picture from any angle but is much more expensive.
If you just use it for games and Office/email etc then I would go for a 24" rather than a 22" as the price difference isn't that great.
I'm using a 24" with a 20" dual lcd setup both at max res and could never go back to the 22" crt monster I used to have!

jdhaenens
April 23rd, 2009, 13:21
You gotta love a "Mine's bigger than yours" thread. Incidently, it's true :wiggle: I have two 22" and a 28" hehehe.

HD is just defining that it meets the HD standard of 1080 lines of vertical resolution (1080P). LCD monitors do work best at their "Native" resolution which is actually the number of LCD cells that the screen mask had when it was manufactured. The dot pich resolution (generally .28 to .40) is the actual sze of the individual cells, so the LCD with the largest number of cells in it's native resolution...say 1980 x 1200 with the smallest pitch (.28 or less) will be the better resolution monitor.

LCD's can be slow at times so look for one which advertises 5msec or less speed.

If as 6297J suggests you want to use it for some Pro photo app. go for the big dog.

Jim

Tako_Kichi
April 23rd, 2009, 13:46
LCD's can be slow at times so look for one which advertises 5msec or less speed.
This is an often overlooked but VITAL piece of information! For simmers it is very important that you get a fast refresh rate.

I switched to a WS monitor over a year ago and would never go back to a 4:3 screen now. The extra 'real estate' is just so useful in many different programs. I started out with an Acer AL2216W and was very happy with it but around Christmas time I had the opportunity to get a LG W2242TQ which is the same physical size but is faster by several magnitudes and the difference is amazing. I can highly recommend the LG W2242TQ to anyone thinking of going to a WS monitor.

Seaking055
April 23rd, 2009, 15:06
When I went from 19in CRT to 22in widescreen........my jaw dropped open and have never looked back since. I have the LG227WTG and could not be happier.

I also have my rig hooked up to my 32in sharp lcd tv, I'm thinking this year though of going up to a 24in widescreen.

Have fun.

GT182
April 23rd, 2009, 16:54
........my jaw dropped open and have never looked back since.

Yep, and your electric bill thanks you too. LCDs of any size cost less to use. Less electricity and less heat given off.

Odie
April 24th, 2009, 14:06
I have a Dell 24" widescreen moving from a 21" NEC flatscreen CRT...it's definitely a plus in my book for FSX and FS9.

The only issue I had was FS9 didn't like the 1600x1200 resolution that I had been flying under on the NEC, it kept flashing on startup. But after going in and manually plugging the Dell's native resolution in the fs9.cfg it came up nice and pretty. 2D panels stretch a bit, but the VC is great.

I've never been one to fly strictly from the VC, but the widescreen makes it look very real in FSX.

Good stuff !