PDA

View Full Version : South Pacific Islands scenery

hews500d
April 22nd, 2009, 19:09
With the release of IanP's Guadalcanal scenery I was wondering if there are any more sceneries available for the South Pacific area to explore in the Corsair. Anyone know of any?

Darrell

PRB
April 22nd, 2009, 19:24
With the release of IanP's Guadalcanal scenery I was wondering if there are any more sceneries available for the South Pacific area to explore in the Corsair. Anyone know of any?

Darrell

Guadalcanal scenery..? Where..?

hews500d
April 22nd, 2009, 19:40
Hi Paul, lookee here !

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=15218

Darrell

IanP
April 23rd, 2009, 04:08
It's not so much a Guadalcanal scenery as an "I stole a bit of Guadalcanal and built on it" scenery... it's my usual 'oh, I'll throw an airfield there, it looks kinda flat' type scenery, neither realistic, nor historically accurate.

regarding what's in the area, what about that True Grit scenery? Papua New Guinea isn't far at all from the Solomons. Oh, and slightly bigger, island wise, "Voz"? ;)

hobofat
April 23rd, 2009, 09:49
It's not so much a Guadalcanal scenery as an "I stole a bit of Guadalcanal and built on it" scenery... it's my usual 'oh, I'll throw an airfield there, it looks kinda flat' type scenery, neither realistic, nor historically accurate.

regarding what's in the area, what about that True Grit scenery? Papua New Guinea isn't far at all from the Solomons. Oh, and slightly bigger, island wise, "Voz"? ;)

I will definitely recommend the Raw Grit: Papua New Guinea scenery, obtainable from Simmarket (payware). Not sure about Corsairs, but there is a lot of military aviation history in PNG, and while the scenery doesn't reflect that so much (it's modern), it has some nice airfields to fly in and out of, as well as an improved mesh (76m) and an upcoming free expansion set.

jdhaenens
April 23rd, 2009, 10:09
As has been mentioned, the PNG sceneries are pretty representative, There was a big base in Sidney...right in the bay. Lord Howe Island as well. I always wanted to do the secret base at Lake Boga, Australia. Underground hangers like submarine pens, etc.. I wrote the current proprietors, but did not get an answer. (EDIT: These are all seaplane bases)

Beacheads like Rabaul and such should not be much of a problem...they were mostly quonset huts and (insert local timber here) buildings. I did Guadacanal (Henderson field? AGGH) for FS 9. I may still have a copy of "The Pagoda", the building the Japanese used as a field tower that was taken over by allied forces, that I can update.

For ADE/AFX users: remember, many of the fields started out as metal fields before improvement, and that's still a choice for runway surface in FSX.

Cheers!

hews500d
April 23rd, 2009, 10:22
Thanks guys. I just checked out the New Guinea scenery and forsee myself making a small purchase in the near future :wavey:

Darrell