PDA

View Full Version : Just saw this on the 'tube.....

Wittpilot
April 22nd, 2009, 18:02
Pilot sets his experimental down after an engine failure...best part, the plane was more than well equiped with cameras all over!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT58Di51wDk&feature=popular

-witt

N2056
April 22nd, 2009, 18:16
Wow! Nice bit-o-flying there :ernae:
I'm guessing a fuel supply issue...

pachi
April 22nd, 2009, 18:31
Dam nice landing :applause:

tigisfat
April 22nd, 2009, 20:16
It did seem kinda set up or something. I don't know. I've only had an electrical failure in flight.

N2056
April 22nd, 2009, 20:26
Tig, I actually retracted my post where I doubted the authenticity of the video after checking the local paper...

tigisfat
April 22nd, 2009, 20:33
Tig, I actually retracted my post where I doubted the authenticity of the video after checking the local paper...

Forum timing is a strange thing. I clicked "reply" to that original post, and when the window pulled up there was nothing there. I take it you also saw my other post that wasn't around for more than a minute.:wavey:

Lionheart
April 23rd, 2009, 00:20
Goodness! Just too incredible!!!

Thanks Witt for the heads up on that!! lol.. I am in total shock! I feel like I just lived through that.

I was waiting for a car to pull out in front of them, wondering what the motorists were thinking as a plane passes by on the other side of the road going the other way. Pulling into a parking lot like you were in a car.

At first, there was no where for them to land. No way... I thought they were going to ditch in the water. Man, that would have hurt..

God was with those boys...

Bill

cheezyflier
April 23rd, 2009, 05:27
lucky there were no power lines crossing the road. that woulda been ugly.

i'd like to see the look on the tow truck driver's face

srgalahad
April 23rd, 2009, 10:05
Ok, so I'm a cynic, but -

http://www.theledger.com/article/20090420/news/904205036

Airplane full of cameras and two 'dudes' on their way to Sun'n'Fun... as it's billed-- "Spring Break for Pilots"
From the timing on the video, I'm curious how they got in the situation.

Looking at Google Earth -- Departing from Rwy 11 at WinterHaven to the point of failure was probably 2 nm. Figure a 300 fpm climb at 60 kts and they likely weren't very high when they turned westbound over Havendale Blvd enroute to the Lake Parker arrival point .
http://www.faaproductionstudios.com//SNF%20Arrival%20Proceedures%20Notam/2009%20SUN%20N%20FUN%20NOTAM%20final%20color.pdf

Initial engine failure was at 0:37 into the video
First restart at 1:01 (24 seconds)-- in that time they descended to about 2-300 ft agl (based on trees that are 50-70 feet tall.)

So, at 1000 fpm that would be an initial height of 600 ft or so agl. (if the descent rate was less then they were even lower to start and a 1000 fpm descent is steep, certainly building airspeed). Note they are over a congested area (buildings, homes, roads, many lakes and few open areas)...

FAR Part 91 states:

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

Why would a flight instructor elect to turn over a congested area without a whole bunch of altitude? Sure, they'd just departed and it is pretty built-up around Winter Haven but why not get some altitude before turning over town since they needed to be at 1200' msl at Lake Parker (before you say it, "ATC told me to..." doesn't supercede good airmanship). Climbing out further would also have given them more options for landing.

Yes, the airspace is crowded and restrictive, but even at Special Events ATC usually gives a bunch of lee-way for a/c performance issues. If they were pressured to get 'on course' it won't look good on either side. If the pilot was cutting corners, well...

Reading the ensuing report from the FAA will be an enlightening experience -- luckily it didn't end with a ball of wreckage and an ambulance ride for someone.

"As a pilot and flight instructor, you are told to look for landing spots," Davis said. "Roads work great."

Rob

Wittpilot
April 23rd, 2009, 16:07
It did seem kinda set up or something. I don't know. I've only had an electrical failure in flight.

Something I thought about when I saw this... in regards to that comment... I thought the pilot was very calm..... and it seemed like he always intended to put it down on that road... Also, Thought it kind of out of the ordinary that that road had NO cars going that way, but traffic coming the opposite way... and no traffic lights or cables/wires strung across the road???

I'm not saying it's fake, staged by any means.... Damn Lucky is more like it...

-witt

lifejogger
April 23rd, 2009, 18:07
Well, whether it was staged on not it was very interesting to watch.