PDA

View Full Version : Should this tird rot in jail for the rest of his life

hey_moe
April 22nd, 2009, 13:05
It really stews me to read something like this so close to home. How come this tird was still driving >> http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_fatalfolo_0422apr22,0,6646786.story

tigisfat
April 22nd, 2009, 13:30
I say that we go back to lynch mob justice.

Trans_23
April 22nd, 2009, 13:46
They should put the judges that keep letting him free in jail also.

Shadow Wolf 07
April 22nd, 2009, 13:51
They need to change death by drunken driver to second degree murder instead of manslaughter and make DUI attempted murder. Every year in the US, more than 5 times as many people die as a result of alcohol and driving as died on 9-11. Where's the outrage?

GT182
April 22nd, 2009, 14:10
He's scum. And being a habitual offender should land him life without parole. Yeah right. I say hang him by the nads.

cheezyflier
April 22nd, 2009, 14:24
i've known plenty of guys like him. they get out of jail because they pay big bucks in fines, and for dui classes and all the other b.s. programs the state makes you go through. their money pays peoples salaries. their social security numbers allow penal and social programs to reap government funding year after year. i don't like it any more than anyone else, but those are the facts.

gigabyte
April 23rd, 2009, 15:38
It is very sad (such a huge understatement!!!) when this happens, and there are always a few that will never learn and think they can drive after drinking even after being caught. Trans_23 is right in placing blame on judges (well not just judges but the justice system as a whole) I am always wondering where the math comes from in sentencing - 1 year in jail - all but 10 days suspended - yeah right just say here Mr Drunk Extend your right arm palm up for 1 slap on the wrist...! I am not sure how much more effective it would be but "Truth in Sentencing" would be much better IMHO, one year in Jail should mean 365 days not 10, and life should mean you stay behind bars until they drag your cold a$$ out in a box!

My profound sympathy to the family of that young man and to all the families who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers.

Wiens
April 23rd, 2009, 17:53
We have a local businessman that has had ELEVEN DUI's!! Here's the story: http://www.hutchnews.com/Localregional/haydenhitchcock
and here: http://www.hutchnews.com/Localregional/duilcmt
K

wombat666
April 23rd, 2009, 22:13
The ONLY solution is to revert to 'Prohibition', and that didn't work.
People remain stupid and continue to do stupid things ..........:kilroy:
PS:No Political rants.

tigisfat
April 23rd, 2009, 23:45
They need to change death by drunken driver to second degree murder instead of manslaughter and make DUI attempted murder. Every year in the US, more than 5 times as many people die as a result of alcohol and driving as died on 9-11. Where's the outrage?

I do agree that there should be more severe punishments available for DUI offenders, but attempted murder? If I'm going to be convicted of a crime in our society, there needs to be more of a direct tie. Driving whilst annebriated is not TRYING to kill someone even though you are increasing the odds.

cheezyflier
April 24th, 2009, 05:57
The ONLY solution is to revert to 'Prohibition', and that didn't work.
People remain stupid and continue to do stupid things ..........:kilroy:
PS:No Political rants.

it seems to be working just fine for recreational drug use, and no one sees an end to that.
a perfect example of my earlier statement that it is about $$ and jobs.
ps- how do you get to say something political and not expect someone to respond in kind?

I do agree that there should be more severe punishments available for DUI offenders, but attempted murder? If I'm going to be convicted of a crime in our society, there needs to be more of a direct tie. Driving whilst annebriated is not TRYING to kill someone even though you are increasing the odds.

i disagree. you're right to walk around swinging your fists with your eyes closed ends at my nose. when someone gets behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while they are intoxicated, they are making a decision that everyone else's well-being is less important than their right to have a buzz.
direct connection? ask the people who put flowers by the side of the road if they see a direct connection. maybe the next drunk that hits someone will hit and kill your kids, wife or someone you love. you think that's not a direct connection?

Gdavis101
April 24th, 2009, 09:41
There are no consequences anymore, people can do what ever they like and nine times out of ten they can get away with it. I arrested a drunk driver one night, caused a 5 car pile up. He was an older man and when I took him into booking he asked me if there was a place they put people like him that are not criminals. I just looked at him and said, " Because of the actions you took when you got behind the wheel you made yourself ONE of those criminals and I hope you and your new friends have a good time!"

Punishment for drunk driving should be much more severe and causing an accident and hurting or killing people as a result should be handled severely. No get out of jail free cards, no bail plus counseling crap.. Prison time, and lots of it. I am not saying people shouldn't be given another chance, but when it gets to be a second time you know damn well there will be a third and a fourth...

People know what alcohol does and if they choose to get behind the wheel then maybe it should be attempted murder.

I was rear ended by a drunk driver, hard. The guy fled the scene and was never identified because all the drunk A Holes across the street at the bar wouldn't give up any information, though they had seen it all. Fortunately for him I was unconscious in the car and couldn't pursue him.

About a month later a teenage girl was going home from work and she was hit by a guy running a red light, she was messed up bad! I just happened upon the guy totally by accident and was able to get him stopped after a short chase. He ate the pavement hard when he got out to run.

One more story! I was going home one day and I observed a group of kids crossing the street at a crosswalk and stoplight. when to my amazement a car made a left hand turn and drove over them! I immediately went to render aid, but there was a nurse there.. I identified myself and said I was going to go after the driver after I called in the hit and run. I chased this woman to her apartment and when I ordered her out of her car she got out carrying an open bottle of alcohol! All she could say was, it wasn't me.. There was still blood on her car! Surprisingly none of the kids were hurt really bad, but they did go to the hospital.

Snuffy
April 24th, 2009, 09:49
Actually as a tax payer and someone who will ultimately have to support this low life, (I'd rather not have to pay for his welfare,) ... Just cap him and have done with it.

The penal system could save millions of dollars with this simple solution.

TARPSBird
April 24th, 2009, 10:07
In Virginia a third DUI offense is an automatic felony and you'll probably go to jail for 6-12 months even if you didn't hurt anybody. After a second DUI conviction, if you're so stupid as to drive after even one drink you deserve to go to jail.
As Cheezy mentioned, DUI is a money-maker for various state agencies and private businesses. Court fines are just the beginning, then there are fees for mandatory remedial classes, treatment counseling which your medical insurance may not cover, quarterly fees for probation appointments, and monthly calibration fees for any ignition interlock you may be ordered to have on your vehicle. Why send DUI offenders to jail when you can start making big money off them the moment they leave the courtroom?

Barvan40
April 24th, 2009, 10:47
Sometimes it does not turn out so good for the drunk driver. One was involved in a property damage hit-and-run accident in a nearby town when he hit some construction barricades along the highway.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
He entered our city and turned off the highway onto a city street. He didn't know one of the steel legs from a barricade had wrapped around his rear axle. One leg was dragging on the pavement, the other was pushing into his gas tank.<o:p></o:p>
Pretty soon his car was on fire and people were honking their horns at him to get his attention. He pulled off the road by a park, got out and walked around his car. He didn't see anything so he got back in and drove off. When he stopped for the traffic light about half a block away the flames entered the vehicle from the rear. Witnesses from the business on the other side of the road said he tried to get out, but the flames roared up behind him when he opened the door.<o:p></o:p>
Instead of rolling out, he pulled back into the car and closed the door; that was the last movement the witnesses saw. By the time they ran over the car was fully involved and there was nothing they could do. When emergency personnel arrived a minute later he was already dead. His blood alcohol was more than 3 times the legal limit, at that time 0.1 was the limit. <o:p></o:p>
That was at about 6:00AM on a weekday.<o:p></o:p>
According to the people he worked with this was normal for him, he always came to work drunk. Just lucky he only killed himself and no innocent people were hurt.<o:p></o:p>

cheezyflier
April 24th, 2009, 12:47
he made a decision, and did that to himself. glad he didn't take anyone with him.

Willy
April 24th, 2009, 13:18
Around 97 or so in the Norfolk area, a Navyman drove DUI and hit and killed a road worker. Best as I remember he got 10 years. Personally, I figure it was no where near enough time for that. Anyone that kills someone else while driving DUI, should be charged with at least 2nd degree murder. Forget the vehicular homicide, go straight to murder charges.

Gdavis101
April 24th, 2009, 14:33
Actually as a tax payer and someone who will ultimately have to support this low life, (I'd rather not have to pay for his welfare,) ... Just cap him and have done with it.

The penal system could save millions of dollars with this simple solution.

That's the other option.. :applause:

Drake
April 24th, 2009, 17:09
Drop him out of the back of a C-130 from 25,000 ft.

wombat666
April 24th, 2009, 17:59
ps- how do you get to say something political and not expect someone to respond in kind?

Exercise some restraint or take it to the appropriate forum.
:173go1:

cheezyflier
April 24th, 2009, 20:04
oh, now i get it. what you are telling me is, those rules don't apply to you, just the unwashed masses. i'll try to keep that in mind.

hey_moe
April 24th, 2009, 23:11
I'm gonna close this before the members start to drink...lol. Let's try not to attack one another in here.