PDA

View Full Version : Attention Feng

Lionheart
April 22nd, 2009, 11:53
Hey Feng,

I was just wondering if you could do something. (Its alot to ask though).

The next time you might see George, could you ask him if its possible, if he might think about turning 'Last Exile' into a real movie? Real people, etc.

Might be the next biggest thing since SW and Indianna Jones.

:d

Bill

EMatheson
April 22nd, 2009, 12:50
knowing the long-odds of the nature of the request, I would nonetheless like to second Mr. Lionhearts request to see "The Last Exile" suggested as a potential movie to Mr. G. Lucas...

Piglet
April 23rd, 2009, 19:38
ONLY if someone else writes the script! Sorry, but I never regarded Lucas as a great film maker. Great in coming up with the whole Star Wars idea, but there's a reason Empire Strikes Back is considered the best SW movie of the six.

But then again, would you trust the Hollywood movie machine to NOT screw it up?!?!

FengZ
April 23rd, 2009, 23:48
hehe, nice request. My good friends are working w/ George on "something" right now...hopefully it'll turn out to be cool. Can't say much, but i have hope for this new project :P News of it should be announced sometime this year...i think.

George doesn't do other people's IPs (he writes/directs his own stuff)...aquiring IPs is Spielberg's department. This last exile thing is right up his alley too. I won't be surprised if there are scripts of it alredy floating around at Dreamworks. Btw, Spiel's new Tin-Tin movie is looking cooool (one of my favorite comics).

and yeah, hollywood tends to destroy good IPs...but then again, at the end of the day, they need to generate money. Money drives everything in hollywood....and that goes for scripts. A lot of things in films these days are sponsered (this is why all Transformers are GM cars). These films MUST bring in the the crowds from ages 10 to 65 (to pay for the 200m+ budget + 200m marketing)...thus, we tend to "dumb" them down. If you are working on a romantic comedy or drama (under 50m), then there's more room to target nitch...cuz less money to make back. We always hear "why don't you do this?" or "why did you do that to such a good IP?" etc....well, try coming up w/ your own 200m and make a film and hope it grosses more than 200m....it ain't easy.

Working on films these days is more like working on a product for the mass-market. The good old days of Bladerunner and Alien are gone...they just can't exist unless some rich guy decides to fund the entire film themself (but if he/she does this, none of the major theatures will play it (cuz they have contracts with distribution studios)...so it'll end up on limited screens...and not make the money back for the investment.....so yeah...complicated

-feng

Lionheart
April 24th, 2009, 00:18
hehe, nice request. My good friends are working w/ George on "something" right now...hopefully it'll turn out to be cool. Can't say much, but i have hope for this new project :P News of it should be announced sometime this year...i think.

George doesn't do other people's IPs (he writes/directs his own stuff)...aquiring IPs is Spielberg's department. This last exile thing is right up his alley too. I won't be surprised if there are scripts of it alredy floating around at Dreamworks. Btw, Spiel's new Tin-Tin movie is looking cooool (one of my favorite comics).

and yeah, hollywood tends to destroy good IPs...but then again, at the end of the day, they need to generate money. Money drives everything in hollywood....and that goes for scripts. A lot of things in films these days are sponsered (this is why all Transformers are GM cars). These films MUST bring in the the crowds from ages 10 to 65 (to pay for the 200m+ budget + 200m marketing)...thus, we tend to "dumb" them down. If you are working on a romantic comedy or drama (under 50m), then there's more room to target nitch...cuz less money to make back. We always hear "why don't you do this?" or "why did you do that to such a good IP?" etc....well, try coming up w/ your own 200m and make a film and hope it grosses more than 200m....it ain't easy.

Working on films these days is more like working on a product for the mass-market. The good old days of Bladerunner and Alien are gone...they just can't exist unless some rich guy decides to fund the entire film themself (but if he/she does this, none of the major theatures will play it (cuz they have contracts with distribution studios)...so it'll end up on limited screens...and not make the money back for the investment.....so yeah...complicated

-feng

Hey Feng,

Roger that and wow.. I didnt know the scope of it all. Good to know.

I wonder if Star Wars would be 'feasible' today. ;)

I hope Spiel does good. He is amazing. The touch of gold, from daily kids animation shows to intense, incredible movies. Amazing talent. Same with GL. They both have such amazing talent in their 'area's of specialty. The coolest thing I saw George do, a first in the business, was 3 second, multi-million dollar shots. They kept you on the edge of your seat and necessitated you having to come back to the movie, over and over and over, to see all those cool little sections that you only got to see perhaps 3 seconds total of...

That dogfight between Klaus and Dio in upper atmosphere, flying past the Silvannah would be awesome..

Bill

FengZ
April 24th, 2009, 01:53
yeah, both GL and SS both love sci-fi, especially aliens (the saucer/big eye ones). Notice Kominos (sp?) in Star Wars, and of course countless alien movies by Spielberg (Encounters, ET, WotW, etc.) George originally wanted actual flying saucers for the Alderan race. See my friend Ryan's rendering here:

http://www.ryanchurch.com/ryanchurch_RS004.htm

what i like about them is they both LOVE airplanes and that "classical" period. If you watch their movies, you'll see a lot of references to planes and serial numbers. Even for Episode III, the rough dog fight cuts were all using WWII footage...then we match the shots w/ spaceships :) We even threw in some Pearl Harbor shots...

i'd love for someone to make a cool airplane movie...either sci-fi or historic. The Battle of Midway will make a great re-make movie...

-feng

Nausicaa
April 24th, 2009, 05:35
Or the Med. I have a script idea around here involving a british and german pilot. A bit clash of the titans "chase", like in "Duel". The chase would be on air as on ground. I think it could be cool.

Lionheart
April 24th, 2009, 09:25
yeah, both GL and SS both love sci-fi, especially aliens (the saucer/big eye ones). Notice Kominos (sp?) in Star Wars, and of course countless alien movies by Spielberg (Encounters, ET, WotW, etc.) George originally wanted actual flying saucers for the Alderan race. See my friend Ryan's rendering here:

http://www.ryanchurch.com/ryanchurch_RS004.htm

what i like about them is they both LOVE airplanes and that "classical" period. If you watch their movies, you'll see a lot of references to planes and serial numbers. Even for Episode III, the rough dog fight cuts were all using WWII footage...then we match the shots w/ spaceships :) We even threw in some Pearl Harbor shots...

i'd love for someone to make a cool airplane movie...either sci-fi or historic. The Battle of Midway will make a great re-make movie...

-feng

Hey Feng,

Very cool!

If you get a chance, if you can get on YouTube, look for the UFO's over China. There is footage of saucers, a bit large in diameter, hovering next to buildings in China. When they go to leave, several spheres of light appear around them, then a quick blur, about 3 video frames of movement, and they disappear. Some of the news footage shows the event in slow motion; frame one, frame two, frame three, poof...

The flying wing over Phoenix appeared this way with the glowing spheres of light, so it must be a transport 'technology' of sorts.

Who knows, lol...

<--- fave dogfights and aerial footage is Battle of Britain and Blue Max. :d

Bill