PDA

View Full Version : Meshes

warbird861
April 22nd, 2009, 11:47
I'm looking for better meshes for different areas around world. I'm rather lazy, so I just want you guys to tell me, what is best mesh. I'm looking for Europe, America, Australia/New Zealand/That area there and parts of Africa (mainly north and south). What are best meshes for those areas, be it freeware or payware.

ICDP
April 22nd, 2009, 12:01
I bought FS Global 2008. As the name implies it covers the globe... or at least most of it. The parts you want are included. It is still fairly expensive though.

warbird861
April 22nd, 2009, 12:12
Hmm, thanks for that. But I have the impression that I can get better mesh resolution from products that cover specific areas.

hobofat
April 22nd, 2009, 14:05
I'm looking for better meshes for different areas around world. I'm rather lazy, so I just want you guys to tell me, what is best mesh. I'm looking for Europe, America, Australia/New Zealand/That area there and parts of Africa (mainly north and south). What are best meshes for those areas, be it freeware or payware.

In terms of data resolution, the "best" mesh you can buy is FS Dreamscapes Promeshes, http://www.fsdreamscapes.com/store/index.php?cPath=16_14. They are quite pricey (commercial data) and are isolated areas. I really like the Hawaii one, though (I live here), and it's fairly cheap $9.99 if you want to try out their product.

For Australia, there is Holger's 76m mesh, which you can download from the ORBX website. You won't find any more detailed meshes for Australia.

I think there's a payware 20-ishm NZ mesh, but I think it was developed for FS9. Just google NZ mesh.

For North America, FSGenesis (payware) is probably the best you can get, in my opinion. Same for Africa and Europe. He uses SRTM data for the Africa mesh, but for all the faults of SRTM data, you can't get better data for most parts of the globe.

The benefit of ordering the entire package from FSGenesis, is that it's global, uses the best resources for mesh data outside of expensive commerical data (FS Dreamscape's meshes), and has great customer support. I'm not trying to advertise here, just giving what has worked in my opinion.

SolarEagle
April 22nd, 2009, 14:43
20m for NZ and 20m for Victoria Oz.... Both FS9 work works exactly the same in FSX. The 20m Victoria mesh works well with the Holger Mesh.

http://www.simpilotexperience.com/flight-sim-add-ons/overview/Our-Flight-Simulator-Add-ons.html

Holger Sandmann
April 22nd, 2009, 14:52
Hi guys,

be aware that add-on mesh will expose incorrectly placed airports and their elevations - the infamous plateaus and trenches. The default FSX mesh, poor as it is in many locations outside of the US and Europe, includes "blended" data that makes those placement issues much less obvious. Most add-on mesh does not include similar corrections (my Australia mesh doesn't either but I was lucky that the default airfields work well with it) so it's a trade-off between detail and occasional plateaus or trenches.

I believe that both Justin (FSGenesis) and Dean (FS Dreamscapes) offer corrections for at least part of their products, which should minimize the issue. In any case I'd suggest to always install add-on mesh in separate entries in the scenery library so that you can quickly deactivate them for visual cross-checking.

The issue with airport locations is not really ACES' fault as they used the best data available. It's surprising though how inaccurate those data are; generally, the smaller the airfield the bigger the errors. We're in the process of working our way through the 400+ airfields in the FTX Pacific Northwest project coverage area and have to make pretty major adjustments to at least 80% of them.

Cheers, Holger