PDA

View Full Version : Question re Saitek X52 Flight System

wsmwsm
April 22nd, 2009, 10:33
I'm using the Saitek X52 Flight System. The throttle has two "switches" (of sorts) for which I can find no function, despite reading the manual. Nor can they be set to control anything. One is a round piece at the top right of the throttle. It has a blue button in the middle (which does function) and it can be turned 360 degrees with your thumb. The other is a silder about an inch below the round piece which moves up and down and has black gradation marks next to it.

Can anyone tell me what they are and what they can do? Thanks.

ndicki
April 22nd, 2009, 11:24
I use the slider for mixture and the rotary button for elevator trim. And the central button for emergency boost. You have to set it up, though - no use expecting CFS to do the job for you.

Lightman
April 22nd, 2009, 12:17
I'm using the Saitek X52 Flight System. The throttle has two "switches" (of sorts) for which I can find no function, despite reading the manual. Nor can they be set to control anything. One is a round piece at the top right of the throttle. It has a blue button in the middle (which does function) and it can be turned 360 degrees with your thumb. The other is a silder about an inch below the round piece which moves up and down and has black gradation marks next to it.

Can anyone tell me what they are and what they can do? Thanks.

Are you using the saitek profiler ?

When you install the program for the saitek x52 ,
You have the option to install the profiler then or you can go back and
install it at any time, which will give you many more options on how to set up your stick using the different modes (1,2,& 3)

With the profiler program installed , click on the icon in your task bar
and select the throttle icon, (or joystick) Point to any button and to the right you will see that button highlighted then you can assign any command to that button , switch or slider using the keyboard commands reference card that came with CFS3

The 2 in question ,
Rotary button could be set up for different view commands ( left, right , up, down , etc )

Slider can be set up for (mixture, flaps, spoilers/dive brakes, etc)

The best thing i like about it is you can assign the same slider, or rotary button to do different things , on different planes by using the mode selector

Hope this is of some help

wsmwsm
April 22nd, 2009, 13:48
I've been setting the controls via the CFS3 control menu. I will try the alternative method. I particularly like the option of using the slider for the flaps.

Question, though. If I use the profiler, will I be mooting the controls I've already set up through the CFS3 control menu? In other words, will I have to start all over again with a new set of commands?

ADDENDUM: I clicked on the Saitek icon on my bottom menu bar, then profile editor. I am a bit lost as to what you mean by the throttle or joystick icon (there are no other icons) and pointing to "any button on the right". Instead, I get a series of boxes with the three programming modes.

cristiano103
April 22nd, 2009, 21:53
I've been setting the controls via the CFS3 control menu. I will try the alternative method. I particularly like the option of using the slider for the flaps.

Question, though. If I use the profiler, will I be mooting the controls I've already set up through the CFS3 control menu? In other words, will I have to start all over again with a new set of commands?

ADDENDUM: I clicked on the Saitek icon on my bottom menu bar, then profile editor. I am a bit lost as to what you mean by the throttle or joystick icon (there are no other icons) and pointing to "any button on the right". Instead, I get a series of boxes with the three programming modes.

Hi wsmwsm

Probably IMS has an older version of the profiler as I had before I d/l'ed the last one from Saitek site.
IIRC in that version You had an image of the joystik/throttle and You had to click on the image of an item to select it and then "profile" it.
The release You have is the last version (or at least one of the last) and so You have to select the cell corresponding to the button/slider You want to profile and then type in the cell the key (or the sequence of keys taken from the keyboard list of command of CFS3) You want to assign to that button/slider.
It is not so intuitive but once You have mastered the rules You can assign whatever function to your controls.
HTH cheers :ernae: and have always good flying.
Cristiano "Astore"

wsmwsm
April 24th, 2009, 04:12
cristiano 103:

Thanks. I generally understand what to do. But one question. How do you set the "precision slider" (which I think is the mechanism near the upper right of the throttle with gradation lines) to a keyboard stroke control for CFS3? When you click on the box, you don't have the option of typing in a letter, let's say "f", for extending flaps. Is there a way around this?

Wyld45
April 24th, 2009, 10:28
I dont have that one or have I ever used it,(Think I seen pics of it and decided I didnt like the style).
but on the side, dont know if you had this one at one time, but I use the ST290 pro, the style I really
like but would you believe I went thru three of them,(I'm on the 4th one now,) some connection in
the main trigger would go out after only a few months. It was easy to just return to Wal-Mart for
a new since I didnt see anything else I liked in style and price range.

So here we are almost a year later, still have the fourth one and it still works fine. I'm just
crossing my fingers and knocking on wood each time I play.

Good luck with yours and hope it all works to your satisfaction! <S>

italflyer
April 24th, 2009, 22:01
hi wsmwsm

axis and sliders can only be assigned in the "axis comands" section (the second from the bottom) and of corse only to axis, not to keys.

noelberrier
April 26th, 2009, 01:25
cristiano 103:

Thanks. I generally understand what to do. But one question. How do you set the "precision slider" (which I think is the mechanism near the upper right of the throttle with gradation lines) to a keyboard stroke control for CFS3? When you click on the box, you don't have the option of typing in a letter, let's say "f", for extending flaps. Is there a way around this?

Using the profiler, you can set any axis to a discrete number of positions, each one being assigned a keypress. It is hard to figure out how to use it efficiently. I tried it for a while but it is not that easy.

As for me, I cannot use the rotary efficiently for trimming, so I trim with the three buttons at the base of the stick. I use rotaries for mixture and RPM, and the throttle slider for dive brake. I keep a button for flaps, in order to open just one step when at speed.

wsmwsm
April 26th, 2009, 06:17
Thanks all.

Try as I might though, I cannot get a slider or rotary switch to function properly with a keystroke command.

Another question: How do you "unlatch" the pinkie switch? I'd like to use that switch as a fire cannons only function but I cannot insert any keystrokes in the box which corresponds with this switch/trigger.

noelberrier
April 27th, 2009, 01:28
IIRC you have to set the pinkie to "button" rather than "shift" in the profiler, maybe with right-click.
At first, I did use it as a button, but I now prefer to use it as a shift in order to access secondary commands easily (views, bomb bay door ...)
I use the second position of the trigger for cannon+guns. I find no interest in firing cannon only as there is a lot more ammo for the gun than the cannon. I can afford loosing some gun ammo against hard target (ship, tank ...)

wsmwsm
April 27th, 2009, 04:17
Any idea how to change shift to button. Right click doesn't work.

noelberrier
April 28th, 2009, 02:18
it seems that you need to delete the shift state assignements first, see this page halfway down :

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2658750.html

I'll try when at home.

wsmwsm
April 29th, 2009, 03:45
Thanks. The forum tip solved the issue.