PDA

View Full Version : CUDA tech is SWEET

idancesafetydance
April 21st, 2009, 16:58
I recently upgraded to a BFG Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT OC2 with Cuda tech. basically any portion of yout GPU that is idle, will work in part with your CPU, kinda like having two CPU's when in FS. WOW does it work good, I have a AMD athlon oc'd to 2.8 Ghz and origionally got 10 FPS on med settings, now I'm getting 50 FPS on high to ultra-high settings. If you have issues with fs9 and fsx, buy a card with CUDA. Just posting this becuase I'm so exited.

Alexraptor
April 21st, 2009, 17:02
Ummmm as far as i know CUDA features only work on programs that support it and FSX does not.
What exactly did you upgrade from?

Kiwikat
April 21st, 2009, 17:07
Ummmm as far as i know CUDA features only work on programs that support it and FSX does not.
What exactly did you upgrade from?

I was thinking the same thing lol

RyanJames170
April 21st, 2009, 17:41
I was thinking the same thing lol

i going to agree with the Kat here

warchild
April 21st, 2009, 18:11
wellll,, that may or may not be true, however, before cuda, i was getting 9 - 13 fps in windows vista with cuda installed i was getting 20 - 45 fps.. I did nothing else to my system at the time. in fact, all Nvidia driver now include cuda extensions in them.. so they work apparently no matter what your running//

RyanJames170
April 21st, 2009, 18:24
humm idk need to see it in words and in real life

SolarEagle
April 21st, 2009, 18:34
Every Nvida GPU from G80(8 series) on up uses CUDA, which is simply Nvidia's parallel architecture, and since it gives developers access to the native instruction set it's effectivly an open architecture.

GPU architecture is many many times faster than CPU architecture for things like physics, so the new trend is to begin moving those calculations to where they are done most efficiently, hence Nvidia's new PhysX tech.

Alexraptor
April 22nd, 2009, 04:59
If this is the case then, has anyone yet tried FSX with a second GPU dedicated to PhysX/CUDA?

idancesafetydance
April 22nd, 2009, 12:10
I origionally had the Nvidia 6150 SE integrated graphics, lots of V ram, but still crappy and NO cuda. Before I only got 3-10 FPS on med settings.

Alexraptor
April 22nd, 2009, 12:23
Dude.....lol
Jumping from from a 6150 to 9600GT would give you a massive performance boost, CUDA has nothing to do with it.
In fact its just as i assumed, a program has to be programmed with CUDA to be able to use it.
So what your getting is just the raw power of a massively superior graphics card over what you had.

You also mentioned FS9 in your original post... just for the record a GeForce 6800GS is enough to run FS9 pretty much on maxed settings with a good processor.

SolarEagle
April 22nd, 2009, 12:29
Yes games must be coded to take any advantage of the feature. There have been some PhysX demo's, but the only game I know of that uses PhysX is Cryostasis, which will be released soon.

Here's benchmarks showing the difference between physics run on the CPU and physics run on the GPU via Nvidia PhysX technology. As you can see the overclocked i7 CPU is bottlenecked at 11fps when handling the physics calculations.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/cryostasis_techdemo_performance/images/cryo.gif

These bechmarks show the results of using a dedicated GPU for PhysX, which is even better as it offloads the physics calculation from BOTH the CPU and the rendering GPU.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/cryostasis_techdemo_performance/images/multi.gif

Alexraptor
April 22nd, 2009, 12:31
Mirror's edge also uses PhysX as does Unreal Tournament 3 with the PhysX modpack.

SolarEagle
April 23rd, 2009, 17:08
The new NERO update adds CUDA support for a FIVE-fold increase in performance....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1240400059772.html

SANTA CLARA, CA—APRIL 23, 2009—NVIDIA today announced that NERO has released an update to its Nero Move it software that reduces video encoding time by up to five times by utilizing NVIDIA’s CUDA computing architecture built inside select NVIDIA Graphics Processing Units (GPUs). NVIDIA CUDA technology dramatically reduces the time it takes to transfer video files to portable devices, while freeing up the CPU to perform other tasks.

The version of Nero Move it with support for NVIDA CUDA is available today as a free update for current Nero Move it customers.

idancesafetydance
April 24th, 2009, 12:19
okay I'm done with this post LOL, Myself and some other's posts kinda made me feel, stupid LOL. Continue.