PDA

View Full Version : Editing cfg Files in Vista

Quicksand
April 21st, 2009, 09:46
Here is a real newbie question, and it has me stumped. I had XP and FS9 all figured out, and became quite skilled at adding repaints, changing little things in the cfg file of some planes... Same process in Vista and FSX, except that I got a setting somewhere that will not allow me to save the edited file. Anybody got a minute or two to put me back on the straight and narrow? Thanks in advance.

Henry
April 21st, 2009, 10:10
go to control panel
user account
turn off user account control
that will fix it
H

Roger
April 21st, 2009, 10:15
Ha ha,
Vista is quite good once you labotomise it:engel016:

Arkycharlie
April 21st, 2009, 10:49
I run vista and discovered that I could not edit cfg files located in the Program Files section of my hard drive where FSX is installed. To get around this, I edit the file in my user area where I can save changes and then vista does allow me to move my modified file to the proper subdirectory in FSX where I have either deleted the file I am working on or by allowing the modified file to overwrite the existing file.

Quicksand
April 22nd, 2009, 16:32
Thanks, guys! I, too, found I still could not save changes unless I move the file out of the program files directory. Vista is a bird of a different feather as compared to XP, without doubt.