PDA

View Full Version : ???

EMatheson
October 13th, 2008, 20:43
where can I find repaints for the Alphasim F-80? I have looked all over for repaints for that little jewel and come up empty! That slick little plane deserves some nice new paints to go with the great set it comes with...

Willy
October 13th, 2008, 20:49
Morton did some for it in CFS 2. Look under his name in the add ons section.

TomSteber
October 14th, 2008, 08:45
Morton did some for it in CFS 2. Look under his name in the add ons section.

Maybe a dumb question but, will they work for FS9?

chrisf36
October 14th, 2008, 08:51
They work just fine in FS9. You will need to add them to the aircraft.cfg manually however.

Chris

Willy
October 14th, 2008, 12:08
They don't have reflective textures, but they look pretty good. Also one is already covered by the paints that comes from AlphaSim so I didn't use that one of Morton's. I took screenshots of the other four that I'm attaching here. Not on a par with Panther's screenies, but I was in a bit of a hurry....

TomSteber
October 14th, 2008, 14:27
:jump::jump::jump::jump:

pfflyers
October 15th, 2008, 16:09
It might just be the way my graphics are set up, but Alpha's textures look real dark and gray - not at all metallic. So even though Morton's textures are not reflective I still like them better. I kept that orange ANG one and the Navy TV-1 (I figured the Navy might have painted theirs), but "x'd" out the other originals in the cfg.

DaveQ
October 16th, 2008, 05:37
[quote=pfflyers;14833]It might just be the way my graphics are set up, but Alpha's textures look real dark and gray - not at all metallic.

I agree. Often the case (see their Voodoo); they used to go for a very dark grey with a dark alpha channel. This gives a very shiny finish. If you have Martin Wright's DXTbmp you can tone down the shine by lightening the alpha channel.

I also think the graphics on the originals are a bit poor by today's standards - they look as if they're taken from a photo. I've redone mine and made some base textures so may do some new paints.

DaveQ

Quicksand
October 16th, 2008, 05:51
DaveQ, we welcome your efforts gladly. Nobody has released a paint for this classic in quite some time.:medals:

pfflyers
October 16th, 2008, 10:37
DaveQ, I also look forward to your repaints, should you choose to upload some.

I guess I'm picky about bare skin textures, but too much reflectivety bugs me, especially on a military plane. I like them to look a little scuffed up (rode hard and put away wet).

Mick
October 16th, 2008, 15:17
Quick fix for the overly dark silver textures:

Open the five external texture files in DXTbmp (F-80_1_t, F-80_2_t, F-80_3_t, F-80_4_t and Tanks_type1_L [Tanks_type2_L]) and copy the primary texture ("norm") and save it to the desktop (leaving the original with the alpha channel open in DXTbmp.)

Open the copy in your favorite photo processing program and under the Fix or Enhance (or whatever your proggy calls it) menu click underexposed (or your program's equivalent.) Save the result, and copy it back to the texture file that you have open in DXTbmp (i.e., overwrite "norm" with the modified image.) Save in DXTbmp and you're done.

The result will be significantly lighter and more "silvery." If you only go one notch of "underexposed" you won't wash out the markings enough that you'd notice.

I found it worth the effort to copy and save just the orange parts from the TV-1 paint and paste them back into the modified texture; that orange is kind of washed out already and it didn't need to be made lighter.

You might also notice that on certain paints the tip tanks don't pick up their textures on the model with bombs. It's a mapping glitch and easily fixed.

Copy the texture Tanks_type1_L (or Tanks_type2_L, whichever one is already in that paint's texture folder) and name it FTanks_type2_L (or Tanks_type2_L, whichever it needs to be. Keep both tank textures in the paint's texture folder; the model with bombs needs one of them and the other two models need the other one.