PDA

View Full Version : Would anybody play?

EasyEd
April 20th, 2009, 19:53
Hey All,

We have some F1 fans and some NASCAR fans here.

What if for bragging rights we have a contest. I'm suggesting keep it simple. For the F1 race in Bahrain pick 3 drivers for the top 3 and pick one for last. You do the same for Talledega (Sprint Cup not Nationwide) - top 3 any order and last. You don't need to pick the top 3 in order just pick the top 3 and the last place car. Simple - 8 points each week. For the weeks when both series are running. Lets see who knows racing. I can start posting the NASCAR lineup just like people already do for F1. Picks in before the green flag drops for each respective race.

Anybody up for it?

-Ed-

PS I'll play secretary if you like.

Panther_99FS
April 21st, 2009, 09:28
Picks in before the green flag drops for each respective race.

How about picks due in before qualifying starts......

Ferry_vO
April 21st, 2009, 11:56
I don't know anything about NASCAR, and with 14 F1 races to go versus 83 Nascar races left this season.... Doesn't seem fair!

EasyEd
April 21st, 2009, 16:42
Hey All,

Ferry I was thinking only on weekends where Sprint Cup NASCAR and F1 were both running - not all nascar races as there are many more than there are F1 races. This would mean at most 14 weeks of competition not the 30 odd races there still are in NASCAR.

As for not knowing anything about NASCAR - no time like the present to learn. Is NASCAR televised in Europe/Australia?

Panther I was thinking after qualifying but before green flag racing (the start) so as to know who might end up last in NASCAR since every week so far and probably for the year there are more than 43 cars trying to start every NASCAR race. You need to know who is in the lineup to make picks.

I would see one or two posts from people participating making picks as NASCAR races are sometimes Saturday night and not always Sunday. Are F1 races always sunday?

A bit of a tight window but I would expect doable.

You guys think so?

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
April 21st, 2009, 17:56
Hmmm....
I'd still rather see "bets in" before qualifying :)

EasyEd
April 21st, 2009, 18:07
Hey All,

Panther - how would you handle the entrants trying to make the field in NASCAR races in which the number of entrants trying to make the field is greater than the number of spots available? In F1 everybody who shows up races not true in NASCAR - how do you pick last if you don't know who is in the race? If a picked driver in NASCAR does not make the race he would not be last because other drivers also did not make the race. We could say if you wish to simply have that point unavailable to you then pick 7 names while others can try for 8 points. Want it that way? Note that in NASCAR qualifying is usually friday and the race saturday nite or sunday not the next day.

-Ed-

Wiens
April 21st, 2009, 18:09
I'm in!!!

I agree with Ed, entries in prior to the green flag......you never know who's going to get sent to the back!!

Kevin

Panther_99FS
April 21st, 2009, 18:32
Hey All,

Panther - how would you handle the entrants trying to make the field in NASCAR races in which the number of entrants trying to make the field is greater than the number of spots available?
-Ed-

Exactly the challenge!
Keeps you on your toes ;)

EasyEd
April 21st, 2009, 18:47
Hey All,

Panther so your saying whoever you pick for last in a NASCAR race has to make the race AND finish last? If he does not make the race he cannot be last. If this were the rule I could probably live with that. Basically picks would need to be in on thursday as NASCAR qualifying is typically friday although this week it is saturday as it is for F1 so Friday is fine. that said I can see Wiens point about going to the back. It matters in F1 and it matters in many NASCAR races - admittedly Talledega is one in which it really doesn't matter because of the nature of the race. With respect to this point - your really simply adding more luck to the equation and less skill/knowledge but I've not got a big problem with this myself. Lets hear what others think.

That said I think there is usually an entry list at Jayski for the NASCAR race ahead of qualifying. Here it is for Talledega. Note the entries are in NO particular order other than car number. Ignore the red as it wouldn't matter anyway under Panther's rule. As you can see there are 46 entrants for 43 places so 3 cars are goin home. They could not be last.

<table width="800" border="0"><tbody><tr valign="top" align="center"><th>
</th><th>Car# </th><th>Driver </th><th>Manu </th><th>Sponsor </th><th>Owner </th></tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>1</td> <td>00</td> <td>David Reutimann</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Aaron's Dream Machine </td> <td>Michael Waltrip</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>2</td> <td>1</td> <td>Martin Truex Jr.</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Bass Pro Shops</td> <td>Teresa Earnhardt</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>3</td> <td>2</td> <td>Kurt Busch</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>Miller Lite </td> <td>Walter Czarnecki</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>4</td> <td>4</td> <td>Eric McClure</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Hefty</td> <td>Larry McClure</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>5</td> <td>5</td> <td>Mark Martin</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Carquest/Kelloggs</td> <td>Mary Hendrick</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>6</td> <td>6</td> <td>David Ragan</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>UPS</td> <td>Mike Dee</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>7</td> <td>7</td> <td>Robby Gordon</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Jim Beam</td> <td>Robby Gordon</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>8</td> <td>07</td> <td>Casey Mears</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Jack Daniel's</td> <td>Richard Childress</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>9</td> <td>09</td> <td>Brad Keselowski</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Miccosukee Resort & Gaming</td> <td>James Finch</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>10</td> <td>9</td> <td>Kasey Kahne</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>Budweiser</td> <td>George Gillett, Jr</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>11</td> <td>11</td> <td>Denny Hamlin</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>FedEx Freight</td> <td>J D Gibbs</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>12</td> <td>12</td> <td>David Stremme</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>Penske Racing</td> <td>Roger Penske</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>13</td> <td>13</td> <td>Max Papis</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>GEICO</td> <td>Bob Germain</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>14</td> <td>14</td> <td>Tony Stewart</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Old Spice/Office Depot</td> <td>Margaret Haas</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>15</td> <td>16</td> <td>Greg Biffle</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>3M</td> <td>Jack Roush</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>16</td> <td>17</td> <td>Matt Kenseth</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>DeWalt</td> <td>John Henry</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>17</td> <td>18</td> <td>Kyle Busch</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Pedigree</td> <td>Joe Gibbs</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>18</td> <td>19</td> <td>Elliott Sadler</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>Best Buy</td> <td>George Gillett, Jr</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>19</td> <td>20</td> <td>Joe Logano</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Home Depot</td> <td>Joe Gibbs</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>20</td> <td>24</td> <td>Jeff Gordon</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Pepsi/DuPont</td> <td>Rick Hendrick</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>21</td> <td>26</td> <td>Jamie McMurray</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>Crown Royal</td> <td>Geoff Smith</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>22</td> <td>29</td> <td>Kevin Harvick</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Pennzoil / Shell</td> <td>Richard Childress</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>23</td> <td>31</td> <td>Jeff Burton</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Caterpillar</td> <td>Richard Childress</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>24</td> <td>33</td> <td>Clint Bowyer</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>BB&T</td> <td>Bobby Ginn</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>25</td> <td>34</td> <td>John Andretti</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Taco Bell</td> <td>Teresa Earnhardt</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>26</td> <td>36</td> <td>Scott Riggs</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>TBA</td> <td>Tommy Baldwin</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>27</td> <td>39</td> <td>Ryan Newman</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Haas Automation</td> <td>Tony Stewart</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>28</td> <td>41</td> <td>Jeremy Mayfield</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>All Sport</td> <td>Jeremy Mayfield</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>29</td> <td>42</td> <td>Juan PabloMontoya</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Tums</td> <td>Teresa Earnhardt</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>30</td> <td>43</td> <td>Reed Sorenson</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>U.S. Air Force</td> <td>Richard Petty</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>31</td> <td>44</td> <td>A.J. Allmendinger</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>Hunt Brothers Pizza</td> <td>George Gillett, Jr</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>32</td> <td>47</td> <td>Marcos Ambrose</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Little Debbies</td> <td>Robert Kauffman</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>33</td> <td>48</td> <td>Jimmie Johnson</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Lowe's</td> <td>Jeff Gordon</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>34</td> <td>55</td> <td>Michael Waltrip</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>NAPA Auto Parts</td> <td>Michael Waltrip</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>35</td> <td>64</td> <td>Geoff Bodine</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>TBA</td> <td>Larry Gunselman</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>36</td> <td>66</td> <td>Michael McDowell
in for Dave Blaney</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>TBA</td> <td>Phil Parsons</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>37</td> <td>71</td> <td>David Gilliland</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>American Monster</td> <td>Kevin Buckler</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>38</td> <td>77</td> <td>Sam Hornish Jr.</td> <td>Dodge</td> <td>AAA/Penske Truck Rental</td> <td>Bill Davis</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>39</td> <td>78</td> <td>Regan Smith</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>Furniture Row</td> <td>Barney Visser</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>40</td> <td>82</td> <td>Scott Speed</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Red Bull </td> <td>Dietrich Mateschitz</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>41</td> <td>83</td> <td>Brian Vickers</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>Red Bull </td> <td>Dietrich Mateschitz</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>42</td> <td>87</td> <td>Joe Nemechek</td> <td>Toyota</td> <td>TBA</td> <td>Andrea Nemechek</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>43</td> <td>88</td> <td>Dale Earnhardt Jr.</td> <td>Chevy</td> <td>National Guard/AMP Energy</td> <td>Rick Hendrick</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>44</td> <td>96</td> <td>Bobby Labonte</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>Ask.com</td> <td>Jeff Moorad</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>45</td> <td>98</td> <td>Paul Menard</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>Menards/Turtle Wax</td> <td>Max Jones</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <td>46</td> <td>99</td> <td>Carl Edwards</td> <td>Ford</td> <td>Claritan</td> <td>Jack Roush</td> </tr> <!-- <TR ALIGN="center" VALIGN="top"> <TH COLSPAN="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE=-1 COLOR=#FF0000>Could to be added</TH> </TR> --> <!-- <TR ALIGN="center" VALIGN="top"> <TH COLSPAN="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE=-1 COLOR=#FF0000>added after the initial entry list</TH> </TR> --> <!-- <TR ALIGN="center" VALIGN="top"> <TH COLSPAN="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE=-1 COLOR=#FF0000>removed from the entry list/withdrew</TH> </TR> --> <tr valign="top" align="center"> <th colspan="5">
</th></tr></tbody></table>Express what you think.

-Ed-

A PS This wiki below shows the schedule for NASCAR and the top 10 for each race so far this season. This way you can see who the frontrunners tend to be. As for last NASCAR.com should have full results. At wiki you can also "deduce" the kind of track the race has been or is gonna be run on by looking at the number of laps and distance. NASCAR races tend to be short track (<1.34 miles in length), medium (about 1.5 miles in length) and superspeedway (>1.75 miles in length) and a few road courses - lots of variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NASCAR_Sprint_Cup_Series

Panther_99FS
April 22nd, 2009, 20:31
Well if you don't like that EE,
How about predict who won't qualify.....

wombat666
April 22nd, 2009, 22:23
As for not knowing anything about NASCAR - no time like the present to learn. Is NASCAR televised in Europe/Australia?
-Ed-

Only on cable or the one HD 'Sports Channel', and usually delayed.
To be honest, I only make a point of watching Daytona, Talladega and the Brickyard as well as Sears Point and the Glen.
Interesting idea but direct access is a problem outside the US of A for some.
And I'm not a big F1 fan either Ed.
:kilroy:

Ferry_vO
April 23rd, 2009, 03:55
Does ESPN broadcast NASCAR? Then I might be able to follow it since I have digital television here. There are some reruns on MotorsTV I believe, but only on wednesday morning. I try to watch F1 and IRL and the occasional ELMS and of course the Le Mans 24H. Don't really have the time or interest to watch Nascar too.

eddie
April 23rd, 2009, 10:03
Why don't you divide it into 2 parts or teams. One for F1 (for those who can view those races easily) and one for NASCAR, for the same reason. That way which ever team picks correctly, will have bragging rights for a bit. F1 guys against the NASCAR guys!