PDA

View Full Version : Custom-Flight Aircraft Now Open for Business

capceo
April 20th, 2009, 16:50
Directly from their website!!

www.customflightaircraft.tk

CFA Now Open for Business

Ever dreamt of having your favorite FlightSim aircraft customized and refurbished in the same manner you would if it was your aircraft in real life? Ever pictured your own aircraft sitting on the ramp, knowing that you were the only lucky pilot that got to fly that aircraft? We are a Flight Simulator Company unlike any other. Here, we are able to refurbish every aspect of a Flight Simulator 2004 aircraft of your choice. Our technicians are skilled craftsman in various areas including aircraft exterior refurbishment, interior refurbishment, avionics installation, propeller servicing, and more. See our examples page to truly gain an understanding of what CustomFlight can do for your aircraft.

As of April 15th, 2009, CustomFlight Aircraft is officially open for business, and ready to customise your aircraft. Contact us today!

Henry
April 20th, 2009, 17:09
I am a bit concerned over copyright
and also spamming
most above board people ask before they make a thread like this
H

OBIO
April 20th, 2009, 17:22
I don't see this being a huge success. The costs are super high for something that the average user can do themselves, or can learn to do themselves.

OBIO

FengZ
April 20th, 2009, 17:34
What if the user has a payware plane, but the "shop" does not? How will they do the customization? (can't violate copyright by uploading textures and panels to the shop)

-feng

Willy
April 20th, 2009, 17:41
A lot of potential for copyright abuse here.

Had a bunch more typed out, but I'll just leave it there for now.

capceo
April 20th, 2009, 18:08
Both the shop and the customer both need to have licenses for the software. We arent idiots guys....

Henry
April 20th, 2009, 18:22
Both the shop and the customer both need to have licenses for the software. We arent idiots guys....
Tread very carefully with your comments
we are not idiots either
and you are a member here
but i think not for long
you are getting close to spamming
and that i will not allow
H

falcon409
April 20th, 2009, 19:54
I don't see this being a huge success. The costs are super high for something that the average user can do themselves, or can learn to do themselves.
OBIO
Boy, I would have to agree OBIO. New ideas are what keeps flight sim going and while this is an interesting concept, I can't imagine that folks would just jump at the chance to have their freeware aircraft "completely refurbished" for $35.00. . .or pay $30.00 for a payware addon and another $15.00 for a repaint.
As you said. . .most of this the average simmer can either do himself or learn to. . .and in many cases, there are enough talented folks here that would be glad to assist free of charge just for the fun of it all.

OBIO
April 20th, 2009, 22:42
Definitely a huge copyright issue here....freeware planes come with the stipulation that in no way is money to be made off of the package...and paid repaints, based on the original textures for that package, would be making money off the package.

While I am all for free speech, this thread has copyright violation written all over it and for the sake of maintaining the site's stance on not advocating piracy/copyright, I think the best thing to do would be to disable the link to the site and to lock this thread.

OBIO

Moparmike
April 21st, 2009, 02:00
OBIO brings up a very valid point about potential copyright infringement of "commercial" reworking of freeware or commercial packages.

This is a very unique situation. If the original builder of a plane allows it, I don't see a problem with it...but that is up to capceo and his customers to work out with the original copyright holders.

Richard Westcott
April 21st, 2009, 03:14
I agree on the copyright issue, anyway you can get most things these days free from sites like avsim to update your aircraft. Plus if you want a specific registration or colour scheme I am sure someone will do it for you for nothing (if you ask nicely).

Sorry to say I cannot see this lasting long.

falcon409
April 21st, 2009, 03:27
. . . .While I am all for free speech, this thread has copyright violation written all over it and for the sake of maintaining the site's stance on not advocating piracy/copyright, I think the best thing to do would be to disable the link to the site and to lock this thread.
OBIO
Probably a good idea.

SteveB
April 21st, 2009, 04:13
I don't see why this thread should be closed or links deleted, I see the potential probs ref copywrite infringments and also worry that this could cause more designers to stipulate no mods or repaints on there models and this could poss then cause freeware repainters problems. However, freedom of speech means we have too sometimes listen too stuff we dont like or may cause us concern.
If you do not like the products being offered for any reason then do not buy into the idea. Unfortunatly the arguments about copywrite infringment are speculation at this time and as long as the company gets written permision from the origional designer prior too taking on the job, wheres the problem? If evidence is available that this doesn't happen or happens regardless of the model designers wishes, then we can post threads about the issue, but too consider closing a thread because something might possibly happen is worrying.

If as many of you seem too think the business idea is daft considering the amount of freeware repainters, and mods available and willing too do requests, then the business will wither on the vine and die.

Steve

Matt Wynn
April 21st, 2009, 04:28
speaking of withering on the vine that reminds me to water my grape vine.... anyways i agree with what steve says, if there are people out there who'll do it for no charge then it'll wither away, copyright only becomes an issue when it is found to have been breached, and prior to even starting work it must be in written form to the original aircraft developer to ask and the action taken to be based on the response, if they say no and they carry on and modify then that is against developers copyright and can be held accountable...

GT182
April 21st, 2009, 04:37
Henry, gotta agree with OBIO and Falcon.... disable the link and close. :monkies:

dogknot
April 21st, 2009, 06:11
I guess I'll toss my two cents in the pond.

I personally have no interest in the offer. At this point in time, I haven't seen any violation and until that time, I see no reason for an attack or ban.

I will add that this is not the first operation and/or person that has offered up their repaint services for pay. Some have gone along the wayside and others are still offering their services without a hitch.

http://www.gjsmith.net/Textures/requests.htm

The spamming issue is another can of worms and only SOH staff can determine if SOH policy has been broken. I'm sure the staff will handle that topic off the grid with an offending party.

Tom Clayton
April 21st, 2009, 07:05
I guess since I'm the designated mod for this section I should weigh in.

Repaints for hire: Been done many times as mentioned, no real issue that I can see. That also carries over to the "interior" refurb's. From what I can see on the "Examples" page, it looks like it's just repaints of the virtual cabin textures.

FDE mods: As long as the mods are not publicly distributed, users can modify their own FDE's as they like. Getting assistance with that - paid or not - should fall under the same rule.

My only concern is the "avionics upgrades." Are the gauges freeware or payware? If they're freeware and a fee is charged for them, that's likely a violation. If they're payware, has permission been obtained for resale on a retail level?

I see no reason to take any action here at this point. But if any violation is found and proven, I'll lock this down.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 21st, 2009, 07:36
Apart from all of those copyright and potential piracy issues (whether justified or not):
There's one thing about this CFA site that - from a possible customer's point of view - makes me very careful, if not to say doubtful about their offers:
I haven't found any disclaimer, terms of purchase, contact names, addresses or useful information about the people who want to have my money!

It's not that I would never ever pay a single cent for "tweaking" my aircraft - I'll do it on my own or leave it! -, but considering the huge amount of Dollars, Euros, turkish Lira or Zloty that are thrown into the sink by careless online shoppers each day, missing data of this kind makes my customer's threat level indicator turn to deep red...

Just my 0,02 EUR...

Cheers,
Markus.

capceo
April 21st, 2009, 17:58
I guess since I'm the designated mod for this section I should weigh in.

Repaints for hire: Been done many times as mentioned, no real issue that I can see. That also carries over to the "interior" refurb's. From what I can see on the "Examples" page, it looks like it's just repaints of the virtual cabin textures.

FDE mods: As long as the mods are not publicly distributed, users can modify their own FDE's as they like. Getting assistance with that - paid or not - should fall under the same rule.

My only concern is the "avionics upgrades." Are the gauges freeware or payware? If they're freeware and a fee is charged for them, that's likely a violation. If they're payware, has permission been obtained for resale on a retail level?

I see no reason to take any action here at this point. But if any violation is found and proven, I'll lock this down.

Thank You Mr. Clayton for brining up some great points! When we do a panel modification, we ensure that only freeware gauges are used, and that they are acquired by both the customer and by CFA. When the transaction is made, the only thing sent to the customer is the modified portion of a panel.cfg made by CFA.

If a payware gauge is to be used, BOTH CFA AND THE CUSTOMER must own legitamte licenses to the gauge, and as before, only the panel.cfg will change hands.

Another good point that was brought up was the discalimer and terms of sale. We are currently working to produce one, and should have it on the site, or on our paypal in the coming days.

As far as whether or not the business will suceed....well we have been open for six days and had 4 customers. Two for full refurbs, two for panel upgrades.

We'll see what happens. Did you guys know that 99% of all startup business fail to ever reach 1 year of operation? Of the 1% that do, less than 10% will ever achieve over $1,000,000 in sales? Starting a business is no easy task. But I dont expect to make a million dollars in modifying aircraft ;) One of the reasons I thoght this could be a good idea is because I make a very large amount of money designing schemes for real world aircraft.

Please keep the POSITIVE feedback coming.

Thats part of the reason I posted here

Joe