PDA

View Full Version : Need some help here

Fibber
October 13th, 2008, 20:05
Hi guys;
Like I had said in a previous post I have had some strange goings on in my games. I have a European install that was working fine then it suddenly stopped and I lost the aircraft. Found that ALL the aircraft.cfg files became cgf files. Then it started on my Fox Four Korea which I haven't touched since I put it in! Now my PTO has the same problem and I haven't been in there for awhile.
Randomly, I get the game telling me it 'can't find such and such in the library' or 'model of (plane) can't be found' even though it is there!

In addition, when I go to the European theater, especially in Norway, I have no textures all pea green with BRIGHT blue water! There I have Stizs CFS2 textures and eto2 waters in the scenerydb\world\texture folder and also in the main cfs 2 Texture folder.
Any ideas? I had SdC textures in there following Rami's guide but then it started with the textures so I took them out through the settings and went to Stitz. Fustrating to me to say the least!

Can I delete the cfs2.cfg and would it rebuild by itself?

OBIO
October 13th, 2008, 22:21
Yes, CFS2 will create a new CFS2.cfg file if you delete the current one. Doing so will remove all your added on scenery (not from your installs...they will just not be listed as scenery any more and will need to be reactivated through the scenery library interface).

Another thing you might want to try is this....go through every folder and delete all the filelist.dat and .cpd files. When CFS2 starts, it will create new ones...sometimes I get some odd behavior in my installs (which are pretty much stock in terms of mesh and scenery but way overloaded with aircraft and weapons) and deleting the filelist.dat and .cpd files clears it up. This can take a bit of time as there are a ton of folders to go through, but well worth the effort if it fixes the problem.

OBIO

kelticheart
October 14th, 2008, 01:20
...mmmm...with filename extensions changed like that, out of the blue sky, I would look for a virus infection somewhere as well....

Very bizarre CFS2 behaviour, this is the first time I hear about it.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

demorier
October 14th, 2008, 01:55
Wonder if some function of your video card has :censored: itself ?

JapLance
October 14th, 2008, 02:55
I have a European install that was working fine then it suddenly stopped and I lost the aircraft. Found that ALL the aircraft.cfg files became cgf files.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that there was an utility to manage planes that did that to the planes that were not being in use: no .cfg file, no plane displayed in CFS2.

I can't be more specific since I don't use this system myself, but I remember something like that when I was starting to handle my ever-growing number of planes in CFS2.

No idea about the rest, sorry.

OBIO
October 14th, 2008, 03:27
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that there was an utility to manage planes that did that to the planes that were not being in use: no .cfg file, no plane displayed in CFS2.

I can't be more specific since I don't use this system myself, but I remember something like that when I was starting to handle my ever-growing number of planes in CFS2.

No idea about the rest, sorry.

I think you are onto something there, JapLance....I can't recall the name of the utility but I remember there being one that changes the Config file extensions as part of the aircraft management routine.

OBIO

Fibber
October 14th, 2008, 05:36
The name of that file is mk_cfs2_util2. I have that but have not used it lately. I also have the file list eliminator file which I have only recently used, but this seemed to have started before my usage.
I do remember in RB2 that there was a problem with black squares and textures that involved correcting/increasing something, but can't remember what it was. Could it have been Texture cache?
As far as utilities I have the aforementioned and also Aim-it and ACman installed.
A scan with Norton 360 AV hasn't found anything as had SpyBot or Adaware.

Dirtman
October 14th, 2008, 06:09
Yo Fibber;

Just go in to CFS2 & rename all the .cgf's back to .cfg I would expect this to clear the majority of your problems.
Then see if the sim runs properly.

To the best of my knowledge; .cgf is not a recognized file extention & therefore these files would not be scanned by Norton or any other security software.

I'm at a loss to explain why this renaming happened in the first place. Windows & other programs use this same file extention; have any other program .cfg's been affected?

If not; then only a program that has been run on CFS2 folder specifically has caused this.

I would also stop using the file eliminator. I tried it & had a few problems ... it's no longer on my system.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Fibber
October 14th, 2008, 12:32
Reading through some recent installs on my computer and found that XP service pack 3 is here. Would that effect the .cfg file? Seems to be about the time that this all started.

Rami
October 14th, 2008, 12:35
It hasn't affect the operation of my sims...

simonu
October 14th, 2008, 12:50
Sp3 has not affected mine either,
uninstalling CFS2 with the on disk uninstaller "does for" (deletes !!!) all the cfg's so be sure not to do that...
make a bat file (a txt with bat as an extention) containing the following

ren *.cgf *.cfg

to rename cfg's
drop the bat into the folder and double click it then move it to the next folder, and so on.
That should save you some typing.

Fibber
October 14th, 2008, 18:05
I just threw out the XP3 question because it was mentioned to me by a friend on a unrelated subject and some problems people have been incurring with the patch.
Simonu, thanks for the tip. As it is Ijust got so fustrated that I saved some of the major folders ( ships, mdl.txt) and just deleted the whole mess! Now I have to try to rebuild it all.

As far as it being the video card that is a no starter. I put in Janes WW2 Fighters and it ran perfectly.

Had to be a bad file somewhere!