PDA

View Full Version : Possible FSX Rig...

Wittpilot
April 20th, 2009, 14:00
They had a computer at Best Buy this week that raised my eyebrow a bit...

Take a look... Tell me what you think, i.e. do you think it could handle FSX rather smoothly and as a computer as a whole...

Gateway - TV Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9174564&type=product&id=1218044490119)

Model: LX6810-01 | SKU: 9174564

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200; 8GB DDR2 memory; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; Labelflash technology; 640GB hard drive; built-in TV tuner; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1

$779

-witt

hey_moe
April 20th, 2009, 14:09
Ya just can't hide money can ya...lol.....for that price ya can't really go wrong...Mike

GT182
April 20th, 2009, 14:24
Witt... build one of your own. $779 doesn't sound bad until you want to upgrade it..... it's a proprietary computer and loaded with junk. For a bit more money you can have what "you" want and not what they want to "give" you. ;) I'm sure Moe and the others here at SOH will tell you the same thing.

Go to PriceWatch.com and you'll find 1TB SATAII HDDs for under $100.00. Plus all the other goodies you want.

Alexraptor
April 20th, 2009, 14:30
Yup, and that processor pretty much is junk unless you are willing to do some real extreme overclocking with extreme cooling, but even then its limited

EgoR64
April 20th, 2009, 14:38
:wavey:

Hi,

Dunno, Sure sounds good only got a 3+, I would check out some of the bare bone deals at TigerDirect, I have been buying from here for years, Top notch, Stuff arrives on time and under budget !!

Many cheers !! :ernae:

MCDesigns
April 20th, 2009, 14:39
FSX is really dependent on the CPU and that one is bottom of the barrel, see for yourself.

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=28398

RyanJames170
April 20th, 2009, 14:43
BUILD YOUR OWN THAT ONE IS A RIP OFF because you will probably have to replace things to get a good graphics card in it. my system i have is a ton more than that and its kinda low end for FSX

i could sell you parts of mine if your intrested they have low hours on them

Tako_Kichi
April 20th, 2009, 14:44
There is also no mention of any type of GFX card in those specs either. If it's 'on board' GFX forget it!

harleyman
April 20th, 2009, 14:52
I would not buy it...Here is the reason...

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200
Featuring 4 processing cores, 1333MHz frontside bus, 4MB L2 cache and 2.33GHz processor speed per core.
The FSB is not good, not even for OCing if you could, and the 4MB cache is low..

2.33 is a full GHz below whats needed as basic for FSX

Wittpilot
April 20th, 2009, 14:53
Wouldn't mind doing that Gary... but unfortunately I would be taking advantage of Best Buy's 18 month no interest... I have wanted a computer to play some games and to do some simple work, and burn some home movies onto dvd's... And unfortunately I don't think I really know enough to begin building my own machine...
-witt

kilo delta
April 20th, 2009, 14:58
There is also no mention of any type of GFX card in those specs either. If it's 'on board' GFX forget it!

NVIDIA GeForce GT120 graphics (apparently a re-badged 9500GT) mentioned in specs. CPU is poor and no mention of memory speed.
Best to forget about that system OP.

Wittpilot
April 20th, 2009, 15:11
Thanks for the help everybody.... I might just never actually get a new computer..... ........ I will probably be stuck playing
fsx with 10 fps for the rest of my adult life!!! lol.................

-witt

GT182
April 20th, 2009, 15:59
Witt. I built my own and had the shakes doing it. Never tried it before and was scared as all h3ll I'd royally screw things up. But I didn't.... fired up the first time and is still running.... or I wouldn't be on the internet right now. :costumes: You've got all the help you need right here at SOH..... ;)

If you can work on Liberty Belle, I know you can build a computer, it's not that hard. Just figure out what you want and search NewEgg, Tiger, eWiz and PriceWatch. You'll end up with a power house computer for less than half of what the store junk out there costs. And have in it what you want with none of their crap. And you can buy stuff a little at a time when you have the money, so no "interest" is involved.

RyanJames170
April 20th, 2009, 16:11
if you want i could build it for you or help you build it its not that hard realy its ez as taking a dump well maybe an tad harder but you get my point

warchild
April 20th, 2009, 16:15
I would not buy it...Here is the reason...

Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200
Featuring 4 processing cores, 1333MHz frontside bus, 4MB L2 cache and 2.33GHz processor speed per core.
The FSB is not good, not even for OCing if you could, and the 4MB cache is low..

2.33 is a full GHz below whats needed as basic for FSX

sssshhhhhhhh.. PLEASE DONT LET MY COPY OF FSX HEAR YOU SAY THAT. i'VE BEEN RUNNING IT FINE ON A Q6600 AT 2.4 GHZ FOR SOME TIME NOW WITHOUT A HITCH AND DONT WANT IT TO KNOW IT CANT RUN ON THIS MACHINE...

(Ack!!.. apologies for the caps.. wasnt yelling.. )

hinch
April 20th, 2009, 16:33
I have a Q8200, no problems running any software yet at all. I can run FSX with 16x AA, Far Cry 2 and Dirt on 'Ultra High' and power through a 4metre wide CS4 image all nice a smoooooothly.

RyanJames170
April 20th, 2009, 16:42
still an Q8200 is slow for an Quad core i mean u could get an duel core that could eat it alive

if you want an Quad core at minimum u want an Q6600 ie 2.4 GHz 1066 FSB and 8 mb of cach

to be honest an Q9550 is an better choice 2.83 ghz 1333 FSB and 12 mb of cach and it can go to 3.4 Ghz OCed with 1600 FSB

Ryan

MCDesigns
April 20th, 2009, 17:07
Keep in mind Witt, there is no silver bullet system and a big part of it is expectations vs settings to enjoy FSX. Some think you need a CPU overclocked to 4ghz to actually get a good sim experience, while others are happy with mid level settings (which are good in FSX), a mid level system and 25 fps.

If nothing else, try taking your rig to Frys and upgrading your mobo and CPU.

Alexraptor
April 20th, 2009, 17:11
Witt. I built my own and had the shakes doing it. Never tried it before and was scared as all h3ll I'd royally screw things up. But I didn't.... fired up the first time and is still running.... or I wouldn't be on the internet right now. :costumes: You've got all the help you need right here at SOH..... ;)

Ooohh i so know that feeling!!!
Fortunatley mine came to life the first time as well....without sparks and smoke!

GT182
April 20th, 2009, 18:28
Ooohh i so know that feeling!!!
Fortunatley mine came to life the first time as well....without sparks and smoke!

Yeah, that was the best part... no sparks and smoke.

My P4 3.2gb CPU runs FSX great. And I don't need to overclock it. I just wish I'd bought a 775 motherboard and CPU right off the bat so I could have just changed over to a 775 Duo Core without having get a new mobo and cpu, plus the reformat.

CG_1976
April 20th, 2009, 18:47
sssshhhhhhhh.. PLEASE DONT LET MY COPY OF FSX HEAR YOU SAY THAT. i'VE BEEN RUNNING IT FINE ON A Q6600 AT 2.4 GHZ FOR SOME TIME NOW WITHOUT A HITCH AND DONT WANT IT TO KNOW IT CANT RUN ON THIS MACHINE...

(Ack!!.. apologies for the caps.. wasnt yelling.. )

ROFLX3

My Beta computer a AMD 3500 2 gig ram 1 gig 9500GT run FSX nice fluid at 25fps. I guess i'm not a rivot picker lol and one big happy FSX pilot with my Beta computer when it can fly all of Iris's Products fluid. I just learned to steer clear of New York City till I rip mine apart and put it back to 1935:jump:.

txnetcop
April 21st, 2009, 02:13
I sent you a PM Witt
Ted

Wittpilot
April 26th, 2009, 18:51
I passed the computer again today at Best Buy.... it sat there taunting me.... taunting!!! it even made some comments about 'growing some cahoonas....'......!!!!!!

It is certainly more computer than anything I have now... and I am going to be using it mostly for running the membership stuff... I damn near don't have time for games anymore... and the games I DO want to play are all at least, 3-4 years old... i.e. Lock On, FS9 & 10, IL-2, & Sims 2.... I have never been even able to play any of the other games other than the FS series!!!!!.......

Wittpilot
April 26th, 2009, 18:53
BTW, thanks again for all the advice given, hopefully it didn't just help me, but others who might be looking for a new pc... I would love to build my own someday as I discussed with some... but right now I just don't have the $$$ and although it isn't the best to get things from BB, they do offer no interest for 18 months, which I always pay off before that iterest comes do... :jump: