PDA

View Full Version : Question re multiplayer-2 home computers

wsmwsm
October 13th, 2008, 17:29
I am a complete novice as to multiplayer, so bear with me.

I have two home computers which, I think, are part of the same "network". I would like to be able to play CFS2 such that a player on my "upstairs" computer can dogfight against a player on my "downstairs" computer.

Each computer has its own name and are part of the same workgroup. They have different IP addresses. CFS2 is installed both. I run Vista.

Can this be done? If so, how?

Again, I don't even know where to start or precisely what questions to ask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Good_2_Be
October 13th, 2008, 20:17
I Think you may have to do the same as in this post, but I'm not sure since I have never tried to play cfs2 on my home network.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=1385

Make sure your windows firewall is opened for cfs2 on both machines.

wsmwsm
October 14th, 2008, 03:49
How do I open the firewall? And how do I start things up?

Thanks.

simonu
October 14th, 2008, 12:32
LAN games have the ability to exchange model and texture data, this means you dont have to have the same planes installed on both ( it doesnt work across the internet) on each machine open the CFS2.cfg and locate the [MULTIPLAYER] settings find the following lines
ALLOW_PLANE_MODEL_SEND=0
ALLOW_PLANE_MODEL_RECEIVE=0
ALLOW_TEXTURE_SEND=0
ALLOW_TEXTURE_RECEIVE=0
and change the values to 1
start cfs2 on both machines and enter the multiplayer set up screen,
For protocol type select TCP IP
On the first machine click the "Host" button to get the host setup screen
here you can select the options for the game like start location, speed, height ect.
Make any ajustements here and press OK you will then go to the Ready room.
On the other machine you will need to enter the local IP of the machine that is hosting.
and press search, if you do not see the host game, minimse CFS2 on both machines and see if there is any messages from the firewall asking if you want to allow cfs2 to connect to a remote machine or something. Click allow.
If you do not see any messages from the firewall its worth checking out weather an exception should be created manually, I can only tell you how to do this with windows firewall as others will be different.
Go to Start \Control Panel in task pane on the left select Switch to classic view
now you can see the control panel like it used to look in wndows 98 and you have an icon for the Windows firewall. Click it and go to the exceptions tab,
If the exception has already been created you will see it there. If not click the add program button if you only have a default install of CFS2 you can just select it from the list of programs, but if you have multiple installs use the browse facility to select the install you are using. ( a separate exception is required for each install that you wish to use).
Once the fire wall settings are done on both machines you can go back to CFS2 and try again start with the host machine exit the current session to get back to the Multiplayer screen and click the host button again. After making the adjustments you wish and press OK,
To the second machine check the host IP is entered correctly and press search.
If it still doesnt show the host session, are you using a router to connect your boxes?
Network hubs and switches are not a problem but routers have given us a headache when it comes to connecting across the web.
Basically a router is also running a firewall so if you have access the router settings to make an exception in that also.
Generally a router can be accessed by using an internet browser.
Type the local IP of the router into the browser its almost certainly going to be 192.168.1.1 and press go. From here I cant be so sure what you will see because routers differ.
You are looking to change advanced settings, by default username and password will be "admin"
You are looking for Virtual server settings and or Port forwarding.
Select to add
many routers have a number of preconfigured port forwarding settings loaded in their rom so if you are lucky you will be able to find Combat Flight Simulator Series in a drop down type list, The ports are the same as FS2000 and any other DirectX 7 game.

wsmwsm
October 14th, 2008, 17:56
No matter what I do I get a connection failed message even though I've unblocked the firewall. I've tried this with both CFS2 and CFS3.

I have a broadband wireless router. I'm not sure what you mean by changing the advanced settings, etc.

Good_2_Be
October 14th, 2008, 18:14
Lets see if I can get this out correctly

Bring up your internet browser, firefox internet explorer or whatever, in the address bar type in the address 192.168.0.1 this should be your routers default address, depending on the router you should be able to find the settings on that "page" along with the network settings for your wireless network. Hope this helps.

Good_2_Be
October 14th, 2008, 18:27
Just remembered another way to access your router settings

Not sure itf its the same for vista but in xp its

Start
my network places
local network, (UPnP devices should be enabled to view)
Double click the gateway device icon.
That should open the router settings page

wsmwsm
October 14th, 2008, 19:02
Here's what I've done in Vista, but I'm still stymied.

Start-network-Wireless router device-properties-general-settings button -advanced settings-services -add.

This brings up a window entitled "Service Settings". Below the title are several boxes which need to be filled in: 1. Description of Service, 2. Name or IP address. . . of the computer hosting the service on your network, 3. External Port number for this service, 4. Internal port number for this service.

Now what do I do? Am I in the right place and what information to I type in? And do I do this on the host computer or the other computer?

Thanks again.