PDA

View Full Version : . . .Tryin' to tell me something?

falcon409
April 17th, 2009, 18:14
a week or two ago, my motherboard and processor got zapped and things looked bleak based on my financial situation (actually my lack of finances). I was able to come back from that with very little cost. . .more or less.

This evening I was working with ACM to outfit all my favorite airplanes with shockwave_lights and was getting ready to load FS (to check out my handy work) when I heard a faint clicking coming from the PC. . .geee, now my "D:" drive is gone. . .which by the way contained virtually every single custom scenery and repaint I've done in the last year or two. . . .no. . .no backup of anything contained therein. So a processor, motherboard and FS9 drive have all gone south in the past week or so. If I was a drinking man I'd pack up the whole system, haul it out to the dumpster and get on with my life after getting totally blitzed. I'm not and I won't, but my desire to knock myself out with scenery and repaints or beef my FS9 package with all the best bells and whistles has dimmed considerably. I still have FSX and that will probably be where I fly for awhile until I can buy a new drive to get FS9 installed on and back up and running.

GT182
April 17th, 2009, 18:31
Ah man, that sucks Falcon. Look on pricewatch.com and you'll find large hard drives that will be very affordable. Here's a direct link.... http://www.pricewatch.com/hard_removable_drives/ Look at the SATA HDDs section and you'll find a SATA 1TB for 81.00. But, it's only a 16mb cashe. You want one that's 32mb cashe like the Seagate for 84.99.

Good luck and hope you get FS9 back up and running soon. And grab an external HDD asap for backups.

falcon409
April 17th, 2009, 18:43
. . . . .And grab an external HDD asap for backups.
I have one already, sits up on the cabinet, pretty as ya please.

Terry
April 18th, 2009, 10:23
a week or two ago, my motherboard and processor got zapped and things looked bleak based on my financial situation (actually my lack of finances). I was able to come back from that with very little cost. . .more or less.

This evening I was working with ACM to outfit all my favorite airplanes with shockwave_lights and was getting ready to load FS (to check out my handy work) when I heard a faint clicking coming from the PC. . .geee, now my "D:" drive is gone. . .which by the way contained virtually every single custom scenery and repaint I've done in the last year or two. . . .no. . .no backup of anything contained therein. So a processor, motherboard and FS9 drive have all gone south in the past week or so. If I was a drinking man I'd pack up the whole system, haul it out to the dumpster and get on with my life after getting totally blitzed. I'm not and I won't, but my desire to knock myself out with scenery and repaints or beef my FS9 package with all the best bells and whistles has dimmed considerably. I still have FSX and that will probably be where I fly for awhile until I can buy a new drive to get FS9 installed on and back up and running.

It might be worth your while to take the old drive down to a good PC store and see if they can make a mirror of it. Sometimes they can get the info even if your PC can't.

Cazzie
April 18th, 2009, 11:05
It might be worth your while to take the old drive down to a good PC store and see if they can make a mirror of it. Sometimes they can get the info even if your PC can't.

Absolutely Terry, my buddy George does this sort of stuff with Symantex Clone. You really don't need to take your tower, just the HD and your new HD. A good tech can most often copy stored files (except ones that may be corrupted by the drive) and write them back to either a new HD or several DVDs. The best rute is to have them written back to a new drive.

I know this has saved me once with my computer and once with one of my son's computers that had shot HDs.

Caz

Z-PurpleBubble
April 19th, 2009, 07:13
Yep, every PC Techie worth his salt with two Icy Boxes could do it. Not all your data is lost falcon409!!

PB

mustang51
April 19th, 2009, 07:25
Could be it's time to start flying the real stuff.
Bob

Planes-11
April 19th, 2009, 08:48
Falcon, what a week it's been as you say. The old verbiage dictates it never rains but pores, I guess you know what I mean. Talking about pouring, I know you are not a drinking man, but reading the bad news has caused me to reach for Scotland’s Finest....I hope you don't mind?
:engel016: