PDA

View Full Version : Checklists and reference guides

tigisfat
April 16th, 2009, 22:33
Why do developers not take the time to fill these out anymore? It's really annoying to put FSX in a windowed mode, and then have it pause while I'm opening up so and so's 'professional' looking PDF file. The kneeboard is the way Microsoft intended for FSX aircraft to be, and I don't see why it's too much to ask of developers.

Lionheart
April 16th, 2009, 22:51
I'll try to take the hit on this one.

They can be very difficult. Finding exact checklists even from the factory are difficult, and if your airfiles (if) do not match performance, then the builder/developer can really make himself look bad.

But thats not always why they do not have checklists and such.

Some people cannot find them and one will be in the package and they do not seem to find it.

But I must say, making a Mesh model is very difficult. Making a good airfile for it so it handles awesome is another great wonder to conquere. Creating photo real textures is the art of a person born with the talents of Michaelangelo, able to put in all sorts of detail that you could never begine to imagine (dusty, scratched surfaces, mud, rivets, wavey metal from fatique, etc, etc, etc). Then you have gauges! This is like knowing how to write in an alien language, that is based in another dimension... . These guys know how to write it fluently and can bongle your mind on how they can accomplish creating elaborate mechnisms that are not supposed to work in FS to begin with.

Lastly, after making all of that, fitting it into one package, putting in an installer that can find your FS hard drive on a remote link in another office on a seperate floor from yours, and then have a good checklist that will match with yours... is... is... IS.....!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

<--- takes a deep breath

Many developers do not put in good checklists, but some do. In the past, there have been people that saw this as a need, and they quickly filled the void by creating their own checklists, doing the research, (which can be extensive) and made a very cool downloadable set that others could enjoy. One gentleman did some that had pictures and everything. Some cool work he did. He might still be in the biz.

That can be why...

Bill

tigisfat
April 16th, 2009, 23:05
Finding exact checklists even from the factory are difficult, and if your airfiles (if) do not match performance, then the builder/developer can really make himself look bad.Shouldn't the guy that made the aircraft for MSFS know how he set up the systems? Outside of GA, few MSFS aircraft share real world procedures. The factory checklists shouldn't matter.

More specifically, I'm talking about the Devs that put in the time to make beautiful reference files and checklist, but in .PDF format. Why can't they just put them in sim? I don't need the pics, I just need to know how to turn the thing on!!

tigisfat
April 16th, 2009, 23:09
Where are my manners:

Thank you for the response!

stiz
April 16th, 2009, 23:33
most prolly think that if its in the pdf then why go through the hassel of setting it all up again in a txt file or html file, when they can just say "its in the manual, print it" (but in other words naturally) :engel016:

Lionheart
April 16th, 2009, 23:57
Well, I should say, I have mine in both, at least in the Kodiak, if FSX still accepts HTML checklists.

But if a plane comes with a PDF file, and you want that on kneeboard, its easy enough to print it and have it next to you on the desk as you fly.

For instance, when I first became addicted to FS, I would have flight plans, and approach charts on a small clipboard 'actual' kneeboard next to me on my desk. I would literally fly in the dark, (in my office) flash light on the kneeboard (real) and reading items while setting up the plane in AP.

If you do have the checklist on PDF for the plane, simply highlight the font of the sections wanted, and hit Control/C to copy them, then open Notepad, hit Control/V to paste them, then save as a checklist, etc. Next, add that to your aircraft folder, and place the exact file name into that portion of the Registry on your plane and you 'should' see it. (I am not sure if FSX sees TXT files anymore. A shame if they dont).

Bill

Henry
April 17th, 2009, 05:22
There are some people like me
who never read them anyway:faint:
I do like the Aerosoft Beaver that has a check list
Gauge
just a click and it goes through procedure,
when i do the donationware planes
for me its hard to put one together that makes sence:173go1:
H

fsafranek
April 17th, 2009, 09:56
If you do have the checklist on PDF for the plane, simply highlight the font of the sections wanted, and hit Control/C to copy them, then open Notepad, hit Control/V to paste them, then save as a checklist, etc. Next, add that to your aircraft folder, and place the exact file name into that portion of the Registry on your plane and you 'should' see it. (I am not sure if FSX sees TXT files anymore. A shame if they dont).

FSX will see a TXT format Checklist or Reference file if the name matches that in the individual [fltsim.x] section in the aircraft.cfg file. That said, you can have individual checklists and reference files just as you can sounds, panels, textures, etc.
:ernae:

SkippyBing
April 17th, 2009, 11:37
Personally I've never used the check lists in FS, which is why I didn't include one in the Wyvern as I didn't realise anyone did!
I'll think about it next time....