PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing second graphic card

sandar
April 16th, 2009, 11:16
Because of poor communication and misunderstandings, I had two Nvidia 8500GT graphics cards for Christmas, one included in a MoBo bundle (512mb) and a 256mb card. I installed the 512mb along with the MoBo. They are both PCI cards

What I would like to know is it possible to ;

a/ Install a second graphics card?
b/ Would there be any benefit installing a second card?
c/ Are there any installation/running issues that may occur (drivers etc)?

Please bear in mind that I already have the second card, it is not a question of needing or wanting to upgrade, I just think it is a bit of a waste not to use the card if I can utilise it.

lefty
April 16th, 2009, 23:27
Only time I tried was with two identical spec GeForce 7600GS, from different manufacturers. Never could get them to work together.

A lot depends on your mobo, but I fear you may find that two different spec cards won't work. Don't think you can harm anything by trying, though, but better wait until Mike or one of the real experts pronounces !

stansdds
April 17th, 2009, 02:27
I'm pretty sure both cards need to have the same amount of memory and run the GPU and memory at the same speeds. Your motherboard needs two PCI Express 8x or 16x slots. You will also need a power supply that is capable of running two video cards.

Buddha13
April 17th, 2009, 03:04
Hi all.
I think you would be better off selling both those cards and investing in something like an 8800GTX or higher.For the bother and problems of running SLI for a Limited speed gain you would get a single 8800GTX would run rings round them.
As mentioned yes both cards need to be identical to work in SLI.So sorry those 2 cards would not work properly if at all.

Buddha13

waco
April 17th, 2009, 10:38
What if the mobo wasn't SLI ready but had two PCI-E X16 slots and you installed two identical graphic cards? I wonder if and how that would work. Just curious.

sandar
April 17th, 2009, 11:26
Thanks for the input and advice. As I mentioned, I am reasonably content with what I have at the moment and was curious if I could install the second card and if there would be any benefit.

hey_moe
April 19th, 2009, 02:43
Some may disagree with this statement but I feel the dual video card is a flop and it never took off. I had that for a while and for the price ya pay I wasn't impressed at all. I think Nvidia and MS thought it would take off but it didn't. All I really saw was ya need more power. Both cards must be the same and ya need to make sure the the video driver supports SLI mode. Even then some of the video drivers have problems in that area too. I agree with Budda in this area. It would be better to buy just one high end card....Mike

stansdds
April 19th, 2009, 05:06
Dual video cards will do a few things. They drive up your electricity bill, help to heat your house, and provide a nice source of headaches. I've never tried dual (or triple) cards. Like Moe, I think one really good card is better and more reliable than two lesser cards.