PDA

View Full Version : Program to open the gsl.lib file

lewis11777
October 13th, 2008, 15:21
Does anyone know of a freeware program that opens the gsl.lib file?

Squiffy
October 13th, 2008, 16:44
It's in the terrain sdk pack and you edit it in notepad then repack it. Actually the scenery database app lets you work with it so long as you have a global_layer.csv config file to build it with. Why do you ask? Incidentally, no dice on Apache skins or contrails just yet. I was at Rhinebeck Aerodrome enjoying the ride in a New Standard D-25 Biplane.

lewis11777
October 13th, 2008, 18:30
Because I have had difficulty with ETO and the same airbase spawning regardless of selection. Since I prefer one install anyway, I want to just add the new ETO bases manually to my current cfs3 install. The easiest way to do this is always by scene.db install but that was not part of ETO since the intent was a separate install.

crossram
October 14th, 2008, 04:41
Lewis...think I can guess where your airbase problems are, but it will probably take some checking, and hand-editing. So...here goes...

I'm guessing one (or more) of your airbases are missing a needed entry.

The tools needed would be an xml editor, and excel.

For each airbase, especially 'new' ones, that do NOT use the stock files, or modified, they need their own ID entry in the global_layer.

That ID must also match with the airbase entry in the qclocations.xml. If the airbase is new, or modified, there's a good chance it will need it's qclocation entry edited, or added.

There is also a chance the airbase entry in the cutscenes.xml could be missing, or needs to be edited.
(If you chose an airbase, but it defaults to another, this is probably the culpit.)

Keep in mind that all the stock airbases 'share' several files. So, many of the entries in the qclocations, and cutscenes are also shared.

Hope this helps! (I also prefer to manually add my bases.)

oki
October 14th, 2008, 09:52
the lib file is done as a kind of ready to use copy (?) of the global layer file, so to change the lib file you must delete the old version, edit the global layer with EXCEL or MS EDITOR and apply the make_gsl.bat file (which is part of the terrain sdk package from MS)

the global layer entries and the qclocations must match for airfields to be used in qc and campaigns, but sometimes all looks great and still nothing works :d

the scenedb is not finalized (says Martin) and is regularly messing up my global layer/qc locations files, I would not use it

rbp71854
October 14th, 2008, 11:54
Lewis

I would not use scenedb in the ETO or CFS3. i.e rounding errors which will scewe airfield placement and as Oki has pointed out the shortcomings with scenedb in the CFS3 theaters. It works fine in the PTO as it is a revised program specifically for the PTO.

You might want to download my tut on the doing global layer changes with the Terrain SDK. If you have any questions ask away.

lewis11777
October 14th, 2008, 14:12
My first question Bob, would be where is your tutorial? Thanks fellas for the descript answers.

rbp71854
October 14th, 2008, 15:01
Chuckle, how how quickly we forget. Check out who reviewed the tut for me. :costumes:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10166

My first question Bob, would be where is your tutorial? Thanks fellas for the descript answers.

lewis11777
October 14th, 2008, 20:24
Did I mention I'm over 40?