PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what causes this?

expat
April 16th, 2009, 02:18
My FSX performance is almost flawless, except I notice this problem with scenery textures blacking out with a few aircraft in external views. When using a VC, though it more frequently does this and often the VC textures themselves wash out. Recyclying throught the views fixes it but for only a few seconds. Must be some display setting I have too high?

Using a duo core 6600 with a Nvidia 8800GT.

hey_moe
April 16th, 2009, 03:07
What are your video settings and are you using beta drivers. Try reinstalling DX9c and video drivers for your card and leave at the default setting. Also use a driver cleaner in safe mode to clean out left over drivers before installing new drivers.....program >> http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

harleyman
April 16th, 2009, 03:17
Heat can also cause that..Check your cards temps too..

Helldiver
April 16th, 2009, 05:00
I suspect that Harleyman is quite correct. These 8800s can run very hot and how close other things near by, like audio cards etc. can only exerbate the heat rise. Especially if the GPU is overclocked.
I solved my problem by putting an edge mounted fan that mounts next to the video card, that takes the heat away from the video card and shoots it out side, I think I paid $10 bucks for it and it cleaned out any problems I had with the graphics.
Of course cleaning out the old driver before installing a new driver is a no-brainer.

expat
April 16th, 2009, 05:54
Thanks for your thoughts. Am hesitant to mess with drivers and DX9 - have had too many instances of making good things worse, if I can avoid it. Heat could well be the issue but I don't have much deterioration further - which I have had on some older ATI cards that ran way too hot. Will work on some cooling solutions.

Here are my display settings. Was hoping this could be just needing a tweak in these or the FSX.cfg setting but guess not.

Thanks again

expat

expat
April 16th, 2009, 05:57
. . . not sure it is heat necessarily . . it goes away again each time I refresh the view and doesn't happen in any spot or external views . .

dharris
April 16th, 2009, 06:03
expat, I have a similar setup and have no problem with heat. Go to Evga's website and download a copy of EvgaPrecision and it will give you a direct readout of the temp for your card. This is a link
http://www.evga.com/precision/ works great.

Buddha13
April 16th, 2009, 08:18
Hi all,
How much memory do you have.I have seen this happen when there has been less than 2gb of system memory installed.

Buddha13

smoores
April 16th, 2009, 10:01
I'm actually having the same issue. my computer is heavily over clocked, but its nice and cool with a liquid radiator system. I do however have 2gb of Memory. I did notice that it only happened to a few planes, and not all of them.

CodyValkyrie
April 16th, 2009, 10:15
Flight Simulator easily uses over 2GB of memory, which can easily lead to issues like this. This is actually one of the inherent issues with FS, as anyone with OOM problems can appreciate.

You may need to simply dock down some of your scenery, which I would guess would resolve temporarily some of this issue.

smoores
April 16th, 2009, 10:41
I had a feeling it might be that, I've used most of the computer's memory up in a couple of months.

expat
April 16th, 2009, 10:45
Thanks guys for the follow up.

You may need to simply dock down some of your scenery

Which sliders/settings would I need to adjust?

NB: I have 2GB of RAM. CPU is a duo core E6850 @ 3GHz.

smoores
April 16th, 2009, 12:05
I don't think that helped, I lowered everything significantly, but I still get a white out effect on everything except the cockpit.

Barvan40
April 16th, 2009, 12:20
I don't think that helped, I lowered everything significantly, but I still get a white out effect on everything except the cockpit.

Did you turn light bloom off?

harleyman
April 16th, 2009, 15:16
Look this guide over...You can address how windows uses its memory to help this...

I have done it with mem issues and it helps..but you might want more ram anyway..

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

dadmod
April 16th, 2009, 17:57
I get that pattern on occasion with 4GB RAM and ATI 4850 card. I watch temps closely since both cpu and 4850 are moderately overclocked and it does not seem temp associated. It does seem to be associated more with FS9 port-overs than native FSX birds. It is infrequent but I'd sure like to know what causes it.

expat
April 17th, 2009, 00:52
It does seem to be associated more with FS9 port-overs than native FSX birds. It is infrequent but I'd sure like to know what causes it.<!-- / message -->

My experience as well but was getting it witht the default FSX 747 in the second screenie. So may not be heat related. Plot thickens . .

dcampbe
April 17th, 2009, 06:34
I don't know if it is related, but had the exact same result after adding the "Shader 20" tweak, suggested by "High Flight Simulations", to my display.cfg file.
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
; NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
[000010DE:00000193:nv4_disp.dll]
PanelAsTexture=0
Shader20Plus=20
UseShaders=1

After I commented out the tweak, everything was OK again.