PDA

View Full Version : Sound when selecting aircraft

Rimshot
April 15th, 2009, 02:15
Hi all,

Sometimes things happen I cannot figure out. Out of a sudden (at least I'm stumped what caused it) I get a sound when I select an aircraft in the FSX selection menu. The moment I click any aircraft Windows plays the default sound 'ding.wav' http://forums1.avsim.net/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif Has anyone ever had this weird problem before? You can imagine I find it very annoying and I hope someone will know a solution for this. I also posted about this at other forums and there seem to be others that got the sound out of the blue...

Cheers,
Bert

Rezabrya
April 15th, 2009, 03:52
this happens to me sometimes too, but not all the time. I have no idea what causes it.

GypsyBaron
April 15th, 2009, 09:30
I read in another forum that this may be due to a Microsoft
Update that "fixed" a previously inoperable function associated
with IE. Apparently the FSX GUI uses some of the IE functions and this is the source of the "new" sound.

I don't have this problem as I don't allow MS Updates on
my machine unless I belive they are going to actually
fix something I care about. IE is definately something
that I do NOT care about and never use!

Paul

chinookmark
April 16th, 2009, 00:02
Yeah, I've got this, too. I don't know exactly when it started, so I can't narrow it down to what might have caused it. When I get home from Iraq (next month! :ernae: ), I will install an additional HD in my laptop and do a complete reinstall of FSX. Hopefully the "ding" will go away.

Of course, you could always delete or rename "ding.wav". You just won't get that alarm during normal Windows operations.

Rimshot
April 16th, 2009, 01:22
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've read the reply to my post over at the other major forum:

It's not a "Windows" configurable item.
I think the 'ding' is played by the IE window/activeX control used by the FSX GUI

Windows update may have applied a correction to the SxS assemblies,
which changed behaviour of that IE window/activeX control,
exposing a previously non-working "ding" call.
I'd need to run Process Monitor on an old FSX non-updated installation to confirm.

It certainly affected the behaviour of the tabbed dialog mechanism
as used on the Mission briefing pages

It might be triggered by a Windows Update then. Great.

some1
April 16th, 2009, 06:39
I don't have this problem as I don't allow MS Updates on
my machine unless I belive they are going to actually
fix something I care about. IE is definately something
that I do NOT care about and never use!

Paul

Even though you are not using IE directly, many programs (like FSX, ASA to name the few) use it 'under the hood'. So without updates to IE you make yourself more vulnereable.

GypsyBaron
April 16th, 2009, 11:26
Even though you are not using IE directly, many programs (like FSX, ASA to name the few) use it 'under the hood'. So without updates to IE you make yourself more vulnereable.

I have faith in my firewalls....one hardware and
one software. I just do not want any of the latest
M$ DRM/Genuine Advantage crud on my system.

IE never gets O.K'd to access the internet on my machine.

Paul

some1
April 16th, 2009, 14:28
Firewall is good of course, but... do you have faith in your programs? ;)

When you start ASA (Active Sky Advanced), it displays producer's website. What you see there is Internet Explorer browser window embedded into another apllication. You cannot block it unless you block the whole ASA, which will make it pretty useless.

FSX uses IE components to display kneeboard, some menu's and other stuff. Many other programs use these or other components too. Even if you prevent IE browser program from access to internet, many of it's modules are constantly loaded in your system. Without security updates.

I think we're drifting a bit offtopic ;)