PDA

View Full Version : OT: Future Of Travel

simkid22
April 14th, 2009, 16:26
So I got my May 2009 issue of popular Science and one of the main articles is about the future of travel. Its a pretty good read even if its kinda short on the things that I find interesting, like the Blended Wing Body concept, the new AGV train and the Fisker Karma hybrid. One of the sections that got me googling was the personal planes and something compelled to share my excitement. Sorry for getting a little long-winded, I'll post the links now. Oh there is also an entertaining article on airline seat comfort.

http://www.aerocopter.com/
http://www.lisa-airplanes.com/

Gdavis101
April 14th, 2009, 18:20
I predict the future of travel will be by horse and carriage. :faint:Kidding.. Looks interesting, thanks!

GT182
April 14th, 2009, 18:41
LISA Airplanes looks to be a good one. I can't read French but it looks like they're making progress. Feb 2009 was the latest news. And the video of the Hy-Bird was impressive.

Lionheart
April 15th, 2009, 01:40
I found the last issue at Walmart today. Havent read through it, but looks like its going to be awesome.

:d

Thanks for posting those links. The French plane has a movie you can watch, in English.

Brilliant! They have a flying prototype already. Very nice looking plane.

The future has been temporarily shut down until better times come back.

Time is money. I think making feasable hypersonic jump jet liners that can run 100 to 200 people from here to China or Australia in 1 to 2 hours 'needs' to happen. We need to get past that hurtle.

Fuels is another component to all of this. I think we need to start using Hydrogen and the likes. We have the ability to design engines and fuels now that could 'rebuild' the atmosphere instead of burning it up. We can create fuels, grow fuels, engineer fuels. We can use the sun, wind, water... I think we are on the edge of great advancements in aviation, but the world economic situation has damaged this growth...

We shall see though. Its truly good to see such innovations still sprouting up here and there.

:d

Bill

Matt Wynn
April 15th, 2009, 03:46
yeah i love the BWB concepts, some fascinating ideas.... as for hypersonic yeah, we need supersonic and above back in the civilian market, remember when Concorde was retired they said "this is a time man has stepped backwards and not forwards", shame there was no Conc-replacement, *Rant mode on*supersonic biz-jets.... sorry but what is the damned point, just so a bunch of fat cats can fly to london first thing in the morning from New York, have an expensive breakfast, fly to Germany and buy Porsche, then back to the USA to buy Ecuador.... mass high speed transit is more feasible, would reduce airline filed cases of DVT (less lawsuits), but would need to be fuel efficient and designed at the current and future markets.... just my 2 cents anyways... *Rant mode off* :faint:

stiz
April 15th, 2009, 04:13
would reduce airline filed cases of DVT (less lawsuits)

we all know it'd be replaced by something like BADS (Body Acelleration and Deacelleration Syndrome) which increases the risk of catching 15 different types of cancer and heart related infections by 30% unless you wear hawian shirts with half mast trousers (pressed by non other than a good ol' Corby!) topped off with a bright pink space helmet :monkies:

cheezyflier
April 15th, 2009, 05:36
mass high speed transit is more feasible, would reduce airline filed cases of DVT (less lawsuits), but would need to be fuel efficient and designed at the current and future markets.... just my 2 cents anyways... *Rant mode off* :faint:

why the states has no mag lev trains is beyond my comprehension.
maybe if they did, amtrack wouldn't suffer from such spotty ridership. it takes 26 hours to go from toronto canada to wilmington delaware by train, because of the excruciating layover in new york. the ticket price is close to what it costs to fly on a discount airline. that's rediculous.

Lionheart
April 15th, 2009, 10:05
we all know it'd be replaced by something like BADS (Body Acelleration and Deacelleration Syndrome) which increases the risk of catching 15 different types of cancer and heart related infections by 30% unless you wear hawian shirts with half mast trousers (pressed by non other than a good ol' Corby!) topped off with a bright pink space helmet :monkies:

LOLOLOL....

Smoothie..

What I am saying is that 'normal' working class people that must fly to China, Hong Kong, London, Germany, and only for perhaps 2 meetings and fly back, and work hard, shouldnt have to endure a 24 hour flight. We have the technologies to start making planes that can hyper jump into the atmosphere and return, land, all in under 2 hours. This is cheaper then a 24 hour flight. And it would save money and time for those poor souls that work hard for a living.

why the states has no mag lev trains is beyond my comprehension.
maybe if they did, amtrack wouldn't suffer from such spotty ridership. it takes 26 hours to go from toronto canada to wilmington delaware by train, because of the excruciating layover in new york. the ticket price is close to what it costs to fly on a discount airline. that's rediculous.

CheezyFlier

The price of trains is incredible. I wanted to take one up north for the fun of it, and it was cheaper to fly, lol.. (Faster as well, but that wasnt the need).

Bill

gajit
April 15th, 2009, 10:18
I think that if they can grow a human ear on a mouse - then they could grow wings on a human. You would then have to fly as you would not fit in the average car. But then you might get wet so the car would seem a good idea again.

Wonder what happened to the mouse.....?

Matt Wynn
April 15th, 2009, 10:24
i understand that, but at the moment only supersonic transport aircraft on the boards is a Biz-jet... perfect if you're earning a million pound christmas bonus every year, but not for us 'normal' people... uh oh i'm turning into Robert LLewelyn here, but to further this, maybe someone here could enlighten me.. in the UK we have a minimum wage, great... means even the pond scum gets paid a reasonable amount, what irks me is theres no MAXIMUM wage, maybe... just maybe the global economy would benefit from that, banking corporation managers only earning a maximum of £350,000 a year sounds reasonable, that way also (i know this is waaay waaay off topic but...) you could increase the minimum wage and the wage for the service industries and people would be much happier, there'd be more services, police, fire dept etc... they'd be better paid, making them do a better job... i could go on forever about this, might even write me a book entitled "what P****s me off in the modern world and how to combat it...". Good idea... oh yes, and then some.

back to aviation though, Hypersonic is capable look at what hyper X did, that used external combustion in essence, heat from the airframe being used as the ignitor and adding fuel to that to produce micro-explosions which propel it forward... its feasible, a company has just got to say "ok guys we need a mach 2+ mass transit airliner" i suggest BAe and Aerospatiale have a go, but thats just me.....

thats all for now :faint: ....oh and mines a Guinness and scotch chaser... should you want to thank me for airing some common views, i don't mind taking the flak for it :wave:

Sascha66
April 15th, 2009, 11:40
i understand that, but at the moment only supersonic transport aircraft on the boards is a Biz-jet... perfect if you're earning a million pound christmas bonus every year, but not for us 'normal' people... uh oh i'm turning into Robert LLewelyn here, but to further this, maybe someone here could enlighten me.. in the UK we have a minimum wage, great... means even the pond scum gets paid a reasonable amount, what irks me is theres no MAXIMUM wage, maybe... just maybe the global economy would benefit from that, banking corporation managers only earning a maximum of £350,000 a year sounds reasonable, that way also (i know this is waaay waaay off topic but...) you could increase the minimum wage and the wage for the service industries and people would be much happier, there'd be more services, police, fire dept etc... they'd be better paid, making them do a better job... i could go on forever about this, might even write me a book entitled "what P****s me off in the modern world and how to combat it...". Good idea... oh yes, and then some.

back to aviation though, Hypersonic is capable look at what hyper X did, that used external combustion in essence, heat from the airframe being used as the ignitor and adding fuel to that to produce micro-explosions which propel it forward... its feasible, a company has just got to say "ok guys we need a mach 2+ mass transit airliner" i suggest BAe and Aerospatiale have a go, but thats just me.....

thats all for now :faint: ....oh and mines a Guinness and scotch chaser... should you want to thank me for airing some common views, i don't mind taking the flak for it :wave:

Yeah, if more people had more money, innovation would happen faster because people would want to spend it. Instead, everyone has to save where they can, from FS addons to hypersonic planes!:karate: