PDA

View Full Version : Newark Air Museum...

Hurricane
April 14th, 2009, 01:11
Got a slightly different view of it yesterday.

I got picked up at Retford/Gamston and we headed down to Stapleford Park which is a very nice country club hotel and golf course near melton mowbray (and had a very nice cream tea). On the way back we skirted around Newark and got a great view of the museum.

I'd forgotten how much nicer proper aircraft are to fly in than them sticky out wing things!

lefty
April 14th, 2009, 01:28
I don't know - you must tell us what it's like being in the jetset, James - my most exotic transport nowadays (apart from the camel) is my pensioner's bus pass........

Hurricane
April 14th, 2009, 01:59
My sister got me the trip in a charity auction for christmas. Sadly I don't make a regular thing of it. (I'm told I'm not allowed an R-44 for my birthday)

In the non jetsetting world the exhaust dropped off my normal mode of transport so I'm car less until friday and seem to be spending lots of my time doing uni work.

lefty
April 14th, 2009, 02:18
What a nice sister you have ! Anyway, looked like a fun trip.

(By the way, choppers ain't exactly flavour of the month up here.......)

Hurricane
April 14th, 2009, 13:50
I'm not surprised they aren't too popular at the moment.

I think there's been one or two RAF Pumas gone down over the last few years too. (different type but still similar)
You do wonder if there was slightly less commercial pressure (limited resources available, rigs have to be supplied) whether they might have been grounded. I do try not to comment on things like this (speculation rather than facts) until after the AAIB report though, quite unprofessional to speculate, the press always annoy me with their reporting of air accidents.