PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

MWMTheArchitect
April 14th, 2009, 00:13
Hey everyone.

I'm new to CFS3. Well, at least the modding portion of it. I'm not a great pilot but I'm getting there.

So I've been scouring the forums tonight looking for what I should get for CFS3 and so far, I have these things downloading/downloaded:

ETO + patch
Korean Skies
PTO + Patches + Missions
jbsceneryV3

However, I don't know how to install jbsceneryV3. No read-me's came with the RAR's. I did get the water textures installed. I searched through all my CFS3 folders looking for where to extract the jbsceneryV3 RAR's at but no such luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, what else should I get in the way of mods/ad-ons? I saw some things about Medair or something like that, but the link didn't work, that or my internet was being slow because of so many downloads! Hah.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help. Fantastic site you've got here, full of a lot of nice and helpful people too it seems from the other threads I've read.

Best wishes,

~ Architect

Daiwilletti
April 14th, 2009, 01:52
Hi Mwm,

for ETO at least, Johno's scenery is already incorporated into the addon. The main changes when adding scenery textures go into the Assets folder in your main install. So you can take a look at the .dds textures in ETO, compare them with other instals to see which you like best.

This explanation is a bit simplified but its a start.

HTH,
D

popsaka
April 14th, 2009, 01:56
Get MAW (at their own site) an' ya pretty much got it all...:ernae:

OH and BTW....:welcome:

popsaka
April 14th, 2009, 02:50
Cripes, I'm forgettin' Flanders Fields... 'acourse them lads has seen fit ta make it PAYWARE now... not that it ain't well worth it!!

There's also a Desert Storm beta somewhere's but modern jets tend ta over- S t r e t c h The ol' CFS3 envelope...:rapture:

hairyspin
April 14th, 2009, 12:11
The server hosting Mediterranean Air War (MAW) is currently off-line and we're not entirely sure why. When it comes back, MAW is a must! :welcome:

grizzly50
April 14th, 2009, 12:39
:kilroy:MWMTheArchitect, hello there, and welcome to the SOH CFS3 Discussion Forum.

Rule #1: There are no dumb questions here.
Rule #2: When learning to mod CFS3, learn to walk first, then jog, trot, and run.

Start small, then work your way up.

MAW is missing from your list, but the server is currently down.

ETO already has Johnno's scenery in it.

Good luck, and have fun. If you need help, have questions, or just want to shoot the bull, come here first. There are a lot of good people. We may not be able to answer a question quickly, but it will probably be answered eventually.:d

ndicki
April 14th, 2009, 12:50
One simple rule - when you install an add-on such as MAW or ETO, always leave your base install unmodified! That way, you can do what you like to the others, but still have the basic one to hand when needed - for a further add-on, for example.

A must-have tool is Martin Wright's MultiCFS. This is included in all the addons, but you can also find it at the Martin Wright Graphics site. It enables you to have multiple installs of CFS. Normally, the application data files go into C:\Documents and Settings\Your_Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0
This enables you to have a separate folder for each install. The best bet is to install ETO, set it to the era you want to make a specific install for, and then copy the lot into a new folder. Run MultiCFS to set up the new filepath, and you're ready to start adding and removing aircraft.

flyer01
April 14th, 2009, 18:47
Hi, MWM The Architect
I would also suggest that when you get MAW, Korean Skies, PTO and ETO that you save the installers of each sim on a DVD or flash drive to save so that you can reinstall them if you have to and believe me you will. Saves a lot of download time.:ernae:
Welcome,
flyer01

DOS MAXIMUS
April 14th, 2009, 23:12
Hey everyone.

I'm new to CFS3. Well, at least the modding portion of it. I'm not a great pilot but I'm getting there.

So I've been scouring the forums tonight looking for what I should get for CFS3 and so far, I have these things downloading/downloaded:

ETO + patch
Korean Skies
PTO + Patches + Missions
jbsceneryV3

However, I don't know how to install jbsceneryV3. No read-me's came with the RAR's. I did get the water textures installed. I searched through all my CFS3 folders looking for where to extract the jbsceneryV3 RAR's at but no such luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, what else should I get in the way of mods/ad-ons? I saw some things about Medair or something like that, but the link didn't work, that or my internet was being slow because of so many downloads! Hah.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help. Fantastic site you've got here, full of a lot of nice and helpful people too it seems from the other threads I've read.

Best wishes,

~ Architect PM ME YOUR EMAIL AND I HAVE A EASY INSLALL FOR THE JO FOR CFS3 WITH A READ ME:wavey: