PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody run across this?

Helldiver
April 13th, 2009, 18:27
I got this strange thing that stops me from unzipping anything I've down loaded and won't let me at my anti-virus. It's damned annoying. I cant even play movies on my Cyberlink Power DVD.
Has anyone had experience with this thing? How do I get rid of it?

Helldiver
April 13th, 2009, 18:29
I forgot to attach this:

Panther_99FS
April 13th, 2009, 19:11
Didn't somebody a while back attribute this to Vista :ques:

djscoo
April 13th, 2009, 19:14
Didn't somebody a while back attribute this to Vista :ques:
I used to get the same message on my old Vista 32-bit computer when I tried to edit the aircraft.cfg. I have since switched computers...

djscoo
April 13th, 2009, 19:27
just an afterthought...Have you entered the error message into google? Especially since you are using XP there seems to be a huge knowledge base out there, and problems are often quickly resolved.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=CHu&q=windows+cannot+access+the+specified+device+path+ or+file.+you+may+not+have+appropriate+permissions. ..&btnG=Search
:ernae:

Shep
April 13th, 2009, 19:39
Right click on file, Properties, then 'Unlock', (at bottom right)) should fix it.

Ray

DennyA
April 13th, 2009, 19:46
How long ago did this start happening, Helldiver?

I'd suggest going to Accessories/System Tools/System Restore, and restoring the system to a date when you know everything was still working okay.

System Restore will put programs, the registry, etc. all back to where they were on that date, but it won't remove newer data (e-mail, pictures, documents, etc.)

crashaz
April 13th, 2009, 20:00
Answer.
Under recent Windows XP patches (called Service Pack 2 or SP2) there is
an "unblock" setting that you must provide when you transfer a executable
file from one computer to another. Until you "unblock" the file,
you will get the message

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Fix: to fix this,
1) right click on the file and select "Properties"
2) click the "Unblock" button.

Helldiver
April 13th, 2009, 23:04
I check Properties but find no unblock button.
The go back does not work.

SpaceWeevil
April 13th, 2009, 23:43
Hi HD,
have you tried booting in Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 as the PC boots up)? It gives you a minimal but functional Windows and the lack of clutter sometimes helps. Also, system restore might work better from Safe Mode.