PDA

View Full Version : Bill Lyons' Pietenpol

FlyTexas
April 13th, 2009, 13:29
One of my all-time favorite FS aircraft. Still lovin' it after all these years. :wiggle:

Brian

OleBoy
April 13th, 2009, 13:36
I'm learning that every one of Bill and Lynn Lyons pieces of work are pieces of art. Bill Lyons was a genious. Way ahead of the game even now in a lot of ways.

Lionheart
April 13th, 2009, 13:47
He is the master!

He had some incredible innovations. Before FSX was out, his Swedish biz jet had rain drops on the ground splashing around the plane (in rain only), tire mist from rolling on wet pavement, heat diffusion effect over the tops of the jet nacelles, glass panel instruments, ambient sounds, an iPod, clickable positions for locating back in the cabin area, and many more....

I love the dry cell battery and radio in the Pietenpol. That and his Stinson that came with it were awesome... Plain, out and out awesome... His house appears later, along with a hanger that was a tent. His missions are brilliant. (and the car, and the town with the Bijou theatre)

Awesome guy...

Bill

EMatheson
April 13th, 2009, 13:50
He is the master!

He had some incredible innovations. His Swedish biz jet had rain drops on the ground splashing (in rain only), tire mist from rolling on wet pavement, heat diffusion effect over the tops of the jet nacelles, glass panel instruments, ambient sounds, an iPod, clickable positions for locating back in the cabin area, and many more....

I love the dry cell battery in the Pietenpol. That and his Stinson that came with it were awesome... Plain, out and out awesome... His house appears later, along with a hanger that was a tent. His missions are brilliant.

Awesome guy...

Bill
You forgot the 3d-light effects and the real reflections on the same model - he did things FS wasn't supposed to support regularly through his long tenure in office as "FS Designer Laureate"!

His FS9 Piper Cub and Travel Air packages get A LOT of mileage from me... (with the Sino Sweringen in a close third).

OBIO
April 13th, 2009, 14:21
Yep, Bill did amazing stuff with his planes and scenery. I love them all. But my favorite is the Piper Apache package. The wheeled version has the dog and bird and the float plane has the turtle in the water....really adds a quaintness to the package that just feels "good" when you see it. The little farm runway with the Apache package has that mud hole it that gives a splash when you taxi through it fast enough....pure genius.

OBIO

mrogers
April 13th, 2009, 14:46
Sounds awesome! Must have a look at them!

Lionheart
April 13th, 2009, 22:52
Yep, Bill did amazing stuff with his planes and scenery. I love them all. But my favorite is the Piper Apache package. The wheeled version has the dog and bird and the float plane has the turtle in the water....really adds a quaintness to the package that just feels "good" when you see it. The little farm runway with the Apache package has that mud hole it that gives a splash when you taxi through it fast enough....pure genius.

OBIO

I never knew about that scenery...

Man.. Ive got to check that out...

Bill

modelr
April 14th, 2009, 05:45
His scenery even included animals on the runways that moved about! You have to check for them before take-off and landings!

FlyTexas
April 14th, 2009, 08:50
And of course who can forget Bill's occasional "cheesecake" pics in the cockpit. :woot:This one edited for public viewing by yours truly. :whistle:

Brian

Cees Donker
April 14th, 2009, 10:40
His scenery even included animals on the runways that moved about! You have to check for them before take-off and landings!

I didn't spot the animals on the runway. Is that in the apache package?

:wavey:

Cees

EMatheson
April 14th, 2009, 13:08
And of course who can forget Bill's occasional "cheesecake" pics in the cockpit. :woot:This one edited for public viewing by yours truly. :whistle:

Brian
always deleted those before I used the package...
anyone else here do that?
Those pictures were the only flaws in otherwise legendary packages, IMHO...

Drzook
April 14th, 2009, 19:30

Brian

mmmm....cheesecake. Y'know I could go for some cheesecake right about now:caked:

OBIO
April 14th, 2009, 19:37
I have a fondness for women with big "Censored signs" in the right places.

OBIO

Cees Donker
April 14th, 2009, 19:51
always deleted those before I used the package...
anyone else here do that?
Those pictures were the only flaws in otherwise legendary packages, IMHO...
Off course you did! You were too young!

:wave:

Cees

EMatheson
April 14th, 2009, 20:01
Off course you did! You were too young!

:wave:

Cees

well, yeah... but I think the "Mormon" part was a little bit more important than the "young" part!

srgalahad
April 14th, 2009, 20:17
lol EM .. we understand. you COULD swap them for a postcard pic of your mission locale, or the family :wavey: