PDA

View Full Version : Postcard

Good_2_Be
April 12th, 2009, 20:19
While going through some old pictures of my mom's we found an old postcard that was never used, so the questions are can anyone guess the year? and what are the ships names or class? Keep in mind I don't have the answers, this is an unmarked postcard.

If you would Like a better image pm me with your addy and I'll send you a copy. (be patient the real world is making me nuts :Banane57:)

Cruiser upper right may be a North Hampton Class
Thanks Sir Sully and Lord Collin

Collin
April 12th, 2009, 23:35
I think the battleships left to right...

1 Tennessee class

2 New York class

3 Pennsylvania class

4 New York class

5 Colorado class

6 Tennessee class

Behind battleship 3 is USS Langley.

Consequently, I think this "Fleet Problem V", held between March and April 1925.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_problem

regards Collin:ernae:

Collin
April 13th, 2009, 16:20
Sorry Eric, my mistook...

Think it is "Fleet Problem 17" 1936, and Sully thinks the cruiser is the USS Indianapolis.

regards Collin:ernae:

PSULLYKEYS
April 13th, 2009, 16:49
Well, here is a pix of the Indy, pre war, I believe she is the last ship on the right in G2b'S pix, and here is her history:

January 10. Sailed for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and shakedown cruise.

Spring. President Franklin D. Roosevelt chose the USS Indianapolis as his “Ship of State” using her as his personal transport for trans-Atlantic and South American travel on numerous occasions. Many of the World’s leaders and royalty toured her deck as guests of the United States. USS Indianapolis became a symbol of a dynamic, young America wherever she went in the world.

July 1. After a shakedown cruise, Indianapolis steamed to Provincetown, Massachusetts to Eastport and Bar Harbor, Maine to pick up President Franklin D. Roosevelt from his Campobello Island summer home. She took the President to Annapolis, Maryland, the home of the US Naval Academy. After entertaining dignitaries, she departed for Philadelphia.

September 6. Carried C.A. Swansom, Secretary of the Navy on inspection tour of Pacific bases arriving at San Diego, California on October 27

November 1. Became flagship of Scouting Force, US Fleet.

May 31. Arrived in New York and picked for President Roosevelt and numerous dignitaries for the Presidential Review of US Fleet in the Hudson River.

Indianapolis participated in fleet war games in the Pacific.

November 18. Picked up President Roosevelt at Charleston, South Carolina for the “Good Neighbor” tour of South America including the Pan American Conference in Buenos Aires. This was the first time in history that a serving President of the United States had visited outside North America. Returned to Charleston, South Carolina December 15.

1937 – 1938
Indianapolis participated in wartime training exercises.

November. Entered Mare Island, California Navel Yard after having traveled over 215,000 miles since her commissioning.

Good_2_Be
April 17th, 2009, 21:28
I think this may be part of the Atlantic Squadron circa 1939 and perhaps that might be the Ranger, If it is the Langley that gives us a date of 1 February to 10 July 1939.