April 12th, 2009, 10:45
They got our man back!!! :ernae:

mississippi
April 12th, 2009, 10:53
They got our man back!!! :ernae:
Good job guy's . :ernae: :woot: :wavey:

pied
April 12th, 2009, 11:02
Not only did they get our guy back, they sent a clear message to the pirates!

PIED

Pepere
April 12th, 2009, 12:11
YES! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

David :wave:

TARPSBird
April 12th, 2009, 15:24
Good job to the Navy and any other SPECOPS folks involved. :USA-flag:
Sends a good message to the pirates: Mess with us and we'll kill you.

safn1949
April 12th, 2009, 17:43
Man,am I proud of those guys.:unitedstates:

djscoo
April 12th, 2009, 17:49
I have a feeling the Hollywood movie studios are gonna be all over this story (I'd rather see a well made news special and that's it):gossip:

Quicksand
April 12th, 2009, 17:54
Many, many prayers for the Captain's safe return, as well as for the safety of those sent to rescue him, have been answered this day. :applause::engel016:

Piglet
April 12th, 2009, 19:15
I have a feeling the Hollywood movie studios are gonna be all over this story

Nah, they'll do a sob story on some poor ole Somali pirate, and his rough upbringing, saying the US was at fault. Besides, the actual "battle" was just a couple of seconds, unlike, say D-Day, or Pearl Harbor.
The forces involved did it right. Sized up the sit., had patience, and only acted when insured of positive results.:ernae:

Ralf Roggeveen
April 13th, 2009, 01:10
Yes, excellent news; though it's only a matter of time before some US lawyer represents the Somali pirates' widows & orphans and sues the American government for millions of $$$$$ because their 'human rights were abused' etc, etc.

Interesting, too, that the USS Bainbridge is named after Commodore William Bainbridge who, in 1800, paid tribute ($$$$$) to the Algerian pirates to leave US ships alone (!). It didn't work, so the Marines attacked them, hence 'the shores of Tripoli' in the Marine Corps Hymn.

Ah, History, truly thou art fascinating & complex...;)

tigisfat
April 13th, 2009, 01:37
Yes, excellent news; though it's only a matter of time before some US lawyer represents the Somali pirates' widows & orphans and sues the American government for millions of $$$$$ because their 'human rights were abused' etc, etc.

Interesting, too, that the USS Bainbridge is named after Commodore William Bainbridge who, in 1800, paid tribute ($$$$$) to the Algerian pirates to leave US ships alone (!). It didn't work, so the Marines attacked them, hence 'the shores of Tripoli' in the Marine Corps Hymn.

Ah, History, truly thou art fascinating & complex...;)

I've always wondered about that. Thank you veyr much.

cheezyflier
April 13th, 2009, 05:40
my dad was navy, my little brother was navy.... the usn :sniper: rules!

disclaimer: my dad and brother were not snipers. dad was a signal man in WW2 and my brother was electronic warfare tech

BOOM
April 13th, 2009, 05:57
Nice ending to a very bad situation,Navy snipers are incredible!! Great job:ernae:
/Patrick/

MCDesigns
April 13th, 2009, 07:11
Good job to the Navy and any other SPECOPS folks involved. :USA-flag:
Sends a good message to the pirates: Mess with us and we'll kill you.

AGREED!!! I was so thrilled to hear how this went down, nice to see some justice for a change!

crashaz
April 13th, 2009, 20:08
That's MY NAVY! Hehehe

nice job guys!:ernae:

Gzr Green Bean
April 13th, 2009, 21:13
And I am guessing that those .50 cal Barretts didn't leave much behind. Good on yer, Navy!!!

GB

MyassisDragon
April 13th, 2009, 22:05
To me this is not a time to use this event to grind personal political axes. It is a time to say: Congrats Navy for a job well done!

Lionheart
April 13th, 2009, 23:07
Awesome!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Those guys did good... Really good. Glad our person is back home safe and sound.

I hope the pirates get the message. I hope we get in some more ships in there and start curving this piracy thing into extinction.

Bill

ananda
April 14th, 2009, 04:30
It still hasn't stopped them:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/5152513/Somali-pirates-Greek-ship-and-22-crew-seized-in-Gulf-of-Aden.html

Dangerousdave26
April 14th, 2009, 07:44
It still hasn't stopped them:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/5152513/Somali-pirates-Greek-ship-and-22-crew-seized-in-Gulf-of-Aden.html

It will be a long time with a great many lives lost before it stops. That was only the start from here it escalates to.

The last 48 hrs they have captured 4 boats and taken 60 hostages.

If the shipping companies are going to continue to use these routes they are going to have to arm there boats and prepare to fight back or they will continue to lose.

Silver Fox
April 14th, 2009, 08:32
BRAVO ZULU to Bainbridge and the embarked SEAL team!

TARPSBird
April 14th, 2009, 10:25
If the shipping companies are going to continue to use these routes they are going to have to arm there boats and prepare to fight back or they will continue to lose.
Exactly right, there will never be enough Navy ships (ours or somebody else's) on patrol to protect everybody. Either contract security teams or form self-defense forces within the crews. Contract people would probably work better.

crashaz
April 14th, 2009, 10:48
I bet they think twice about grabbing a US flagged ship though. French too for that matter.

Dangerousdave26
April 14th, 2009, 14:07
I bet they think twice about grabbing a US flagged ship though. French too for that matter.

Wrong they grabbed a French Tug boat with 16 sailors on it that weekend.

crashaz
April 14th, 2009, 22:52
Oof... I think we are going to see the Mog purdy soon.

Those pirates are out of their gords.... now they have the world's attention.

tigisfat
April 15th, 2009, 00:50
YARR, the pirates be outta control. Methinks they've had to much rum, or maybe they're angry because a crocodile with a clock in it stole their captain's hand.

It's time to lay it down on these fools. And by that, I mean that you should be able to protect yourself in international waters anyway you need too. Back in '05, we were almost tasked with smoking them from the air out of Diego Garcia. Those that weren't privy to the problem at the time looked very confused when our Colonel said we might be going after pirates in the Indian Ocean.

demorier
April 15th, 2009, 01:13
This sort of pirate stuff seems to me to be a policing job for the UN or some such international force (so many nationalities involved), can't understand why they won't/can't step in here.
As for the pirates, as the old saying goes "If you play with fire......"

cheezyflier
April 15th, 2009, 05:19
YARR, the pirates be outta control. Methinks they've had to much rum, or maybe they're angry because a crocodile with a clock in it stole their captain's hand.

classic! :costumes::applause:

This sort of pirate stuff seems to me to be a policing job for the UN or some such international force (so many nationalities involved), can't understand why they won't/can't step in here.

it's because the u.n. is completely useless.

wombat666
April 15th, 2009, 06:02

'Arming' the crews is not an option.
Under 'International Law' an unarmed vessel has 'Free Right of Passage'.
An armed vessel would find many ports closed to it, serious political and legal problems when passing through 'Territorial Waters' and a NO Insurance Broker would look at them.
The most practical solution is to do what so many sensible shipping operators do now, sail via the protected sea lanes that are patrolled by the various NATO (and others) forces that police them.
Most of the vessels taken by the so-called 'Pirates' have been sailing outside the 'safe' zones as a cost-cutting exercise.
:173go1:

redriver6
April 15th, 2009, 06:12
i believe you are correct concerning 'armed' merchant ships (ships with guns mounted on them)...however i don't think that applies to having 'armed' security personnel aboard the ship..as long as they stay on the ship while its in port.

or i should say i don't believe there is a universal maritime anti-armed guard law....if that makes any sense..

wombat666
April 15th, 2009, 09:44
i believe you are correct concerning 'armed' merchant ships (ships with guns mounted on them)...however i don't think that applies to having 'armed' security personnel aboard the ship..as long as they stay on the ship while its in port.

or i should say i don't believe there is a universal maritime anti-armed guard law....if that makes any sense..

I'll put it this way Red, Nations have their own laws regarding armed people arriving on shipping on their shores ....... :kilroy:
Not certain of the US legal situation in such a case but any weapons would be confiscated in very short order down here in Oz.
No compliance, no entry ........ :wave:
As a matter of interest I'll check next month when I'm in Canberra.
I do know that it would be nearly impossible to find shipping insurance if a crew were armed.