April 11th, 2009, 21:11
can anyone tell me if this is a native model or a port? i found it just now:

http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/C337/

stiz
April 11th, 2009, 21:42
port as far as i know :wave:

azflyboy
April 11th, 2009, 21:44
It's a port, and suffers from some of the textures in the VC being bizarrely reflective in FSX.

warchild
April 12th, 2009, 02:07
the reflections are mostly on the bezels, and only happen when the sun shines on them just right. Have a pic if you'd like me to post it. It's an ok plane.. flies pretty well, and handles a lot like it's viet era brother. Even for a port, FSD did a pretty good job

cheezyflier
April 12th, 2009, 03:13
i've always wanted one, but i won't pay for a port. i'll wait and see if they ever make a native.

thanks for letting me know guys:wavey:

cheezyflier
April 12th, 2009, 11:20
i had sent an email to fsd, and this was the answer i recieved this morning.
man, those guys responded really fast. sadly, i am disapointed with their answer, and i disagree with their appraisal of FSX:

Paul,

Thanks for writing. We appreciate your interest.

The idea of doing 100% native FS X designs pretty much went out the window
when it because clear that Flight Simulator X had made limited success in
the flight sim enthusiast market. Nearly half of our customers are still
using FS 2004. The Cessna 337 was rebuilt according to the specification
Microsoft provided when they released FS X, and we have not had any
particular problem reports from our customers flying the aircraft in FS X.

With our current production schedule we have no plans to revisit the
Skymaster in the near future. Unfortunately the time involved in creating,
or even rebuilding quality aircraft now for Flight Simulator is simply too
demanding to allow it.

Keep the blue on top!

Tim Dickens
FSD International
Web site: http://www.fsd-international.com

Roger
April 12th, 2009, 11:26
I wonder if I'd get the same response if I asked about the Porter? It was one of my favorite aircraft in Fs9 and I'd dearly love to see it in FsX.

Panther_99FS
April 12th, 2009, 11:37
Well...
I'll still keep my fingers crossed in hopes that FSD will make a SP2/Acceleration 337...

N2056
April 12th, 2009, 11:57
Guys, the sad truth is that it comes down to time required to do it right against potential sales. Our experience to date is that to convert & optimize the current FS9 models to really work well in FSX takes a lot of time & effort. We have two projects (the Navajo & Seneca) that will be completed. Currently no other conversions are planned. That could conceivably change depending on how well those projects do.

While it is probably not what you want to hear it is important to me that you know the current heading we have taken.

cheezyflier
April 12th, 2009, 14:29
who knows? maybe we'll get lucky and carenado will do a 337. especially once they know no one else is interested in pursuing it, the idea may become more attractive. they (carenado) certainly seem to disagree that fsx models are not worth the effort, as what they have made so far has sold pretty well. i emailed them about it once and they did say they would think about it.
....maybe a little prompting from the rest of us might help them decide.

i will give fsd their due for being quick to respond. that was cool.

oohh.. i just had an interesting thought....
maybe lionheart might think about doing one for his next project....

N2056
April 12th, 2009, 14:35
For what it is worth...I would love to convert the plane, as it is one I always liked. Time will tell :)

cheezyflier
April 12th, 2009, 18:11
just know that i wasn't knockin fsd. it's their business, they need to make decisions based on what they think is best. just cause i don't agree doesn't really amount to much. i just have a hard time layin out $30 for a port over.
the screenies on the site look awesome. if i hadn't lost my fs9 discs, or if i had a better computer i might consider otherwise.

i used to know a girl who always told me "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride"
now i think i know what she meant.

N2056
April 12th, 2009, 18:31
No worries :wavey:

MCDesigns
April 13th, 2009, 05:04
I'm with cheezy, while I respect FSD's call on doing what they think is best, I wouldn't spend any money on a port either.
I find the email response interesting , how can you figure out how many of your customers are using FSX when you have mostly FS9 models in your inventory?
I also find the response interesting since companies like Aerosoft state just the opposite, oh well looking forward to the Seneca and the Navajo! :ernae:

N2056
April 17th, 2009, 12:55
Wow!

I just went through this thread again & realized what Tim was saying...and it is not the way I understand things. Needless to say I am working on clarification, and I will let you guys know what I find out.

tigisfat
April 17th, 2009, 16:35
I konw that the FSD C-17 is one highly desired product for FSX/SP2.....

I'd buy it even as a crappy port over.

N2056
April 18th, 2009, 15:03
Okay...got clarification.

FSD will be building true FSX planes.

The intent of that e-mail was to say pretty much what I said earlier in this thread, which was that we will finish the conversions we started. In regards to the 337 I'm afraid that may not ever happen due to the whole Textron licensing fiasco. Sorry about any confusion this caused, and I'm also a bit embarrassed that I did not catch this correctly last week! :redface:

cheezyflier
April 18th, 2009, 15:49
Textron licensing fiasco.

is that the deal where they (cessna's licensing co.) want to charge big bucks for licensing their products? i think i heard about them giving lionheart trouble as well. it's a shame they can even control products they don't manufacture anymore. :(

ryanbatc
April 18th, 2009, 17:14
is that the deal where they (cessna's licensing co.) want to charge big bucks for licensing their products? i think i heard about them giving lionheart trouble as well. it's a shame they can even control products they don't manufacture anymore. :(

yep, lame.....

stansdds
April 19th, 2009, 05:14
Very lame, but it's the way U.S. copyright and trademark law is written.

Helldiver
April 19th, 2009, 05:58
In about a year's time, the preponderance number of Simmers will be using FSX. It'll take that time for everybody to catch up with their video cards or get new computers. FSD will have to do some thinking about their recalcitrant, obsolete, attitude.
In the mean time, I'd be glad to take the thing off without it burning up. Isn't there any way to turn it off? It starts smoking at the end of the runway.

Helldiver
April 19th, 2009, 10:17
Can't any body help?

Henry
April 19th, 2009, 10:30
It starts smoking at the end of the runway.
i have an extra ash tray!
sorry i dont have anything smart to say
as i do not have the model
H

N2056
April 19th, 2009, 10:56
FSD will have to do some thinking about their recalcitrant, obsolete, attitude.

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I have been with them for almost a year now, and have actually put a fair amount of time & effort into improving our involvement in the forums and passing along information about what we are doing...along with product development for FSX.

I am not sure what is happening with your 337, but my guess is that you have the settings in the load manager such that if you mistreat the engine it will act up. Have you tried getting an answer via our forums or e-mail? That would be the way to go...if you did try & you were not satisfied with the outcome that would be good to know.

I had nothing to do with that particular project, and (of course) the 337 I have has not done that. Nonetheless, I would be more than happy to try & help you get an answer. Please feel free to PM me anytime you have a concern or question regarding our products.

Robert