PDA

View Full Version : Screen Resolution . . .

Killbilly
April 11th, 2009, 15:52
What screen resolution do you all use. What difference does it make to your performance if you raise or lower the res?

Currently, I'm running at 1680x1050 (which is the native resolution of my monitor). I notice a definite loss in visual quality if I lower that, but not a very big boost in performance. Shouldn't performance climb if resolution falls?

MenendezDiego
April 11th, 2009, 16:09
I think it's the resolution that you run FSX that makes the difference.

Your monitor can be set to 1024 by 768, while FSX is set to 1920 by 1200, and the game will run at 1920 by 1200. I think all changing the desktop resolution does is simply that, change the desktop resolution

If I'm wrong please chirp in

Regards, Diego

hey_moe
April 11th, 2009, 16:24
The higher you go the more finer the detail is on my stuff. It also takes more juice when you raise it to a higher level...Mike

Roger
April 11th, 2009, 16:25
With TFT monitors they have a native resolution and outside of that the image will not be displayed as well. CRT monitors allow for more flexibility so unless your monitor is a CRT then best leave it at native.

d0mokun
April 11th, 2009, 16:35
I find that if I run my monitor at anything less than native res (1920x1200), things get reaaaallly slow.

harleyman
April 11th, 2009, 17:14
Run all resolutions the same...however you can lower them,,All the same though I have been told....

d0mokun
April 11th, 2009, 17:30
That's another point, I used to run one monitor at native res and my other at way below (I didn't know you could individually alter monitor resolutions in FS).

When I did that, got naff performance. When I raised the resolutions of both monitors to native, I got great performance.

lifejogger
April 11th, 2009, 18:58
Dumb question but, how do you know what the native resolution of you monitor is? I have a 22 inch wide screen.

Tako_Kichi
April 11th, 2009, 19:16
Dumb question but, how do you know what the native resolution of you monitor is? I have a 22 inch wide screen.
It should say in the specs for your monitor. Most 22" WS LCD's are 1680x1050 @ 60Hz but there are some oddballs out there with different resolutions.

In most cases they should be run at their native resolution (and refresh rate) only as that is what they are designed for.

Killbilly
April 11th, 2009, 20:16
I think it's the resolution that you run FSX that makes the difference.

Your monitor can be set to 1024 by 768, while FSX is set to 1920 by 1200, and the game will run at 1920 by 1200. I think all changing the desktop resolution does is simply that, change the desktop resolution

If I'm wrong please chirp in

Regards, Diego

Sorry. I guess I should clarify. My monitor is running at it's native res (1680x1050). I also have FSX running at that res. My question is, if I lower the res of FSX without lowering the res of my monitor should I see a performance increase?

SpaceWeevil
April 12th, 2009, 01:18
In theory it should run faster or smoother but I can't see a measurable performance increase when I drop from my native desktop resolution of 1680 x 1050. Incidentally, I was looking forward to trying the 'wideviewaspect' setting in the config but I hate the distorted 'fisheye' perspective it gives - back to normal for me.

mjrhealth
April 12th, 2009, 02:42
To change resolution of second monitor, just select the monitor in the video slect and you should see second moniotor then change it to same as other.

kilo delta
April 12th, 2009, 03:53
In most cases they should be run at their native resolution (and refresh rate) only as that is what they are designed for.

Exactly!

I game at my monitor's native res of 2560x1600 and on my TV's at 1920x1080. Performance only really suffers as you increase the AA/AF.

beatle
April 12th, 2009, 05:36
Most LCD monitors have an option in their On Screen Display Menu to choose what the monitor does with lower resolutions, they can either be stretched to the size of the monitor (looks like crap) or they can be centered on the LCD (doesn't fill up the screen, but looks better). Setting that option to Centered would let you try out lower resolutions.

Of course, as has been mentioned, below a certain point, there's no difference in speed (ie which just means that FSX isn't pixel fill rate limited - but we already knew that :-> ).

Tim

Cazzie
April 12th, 2009, 06:35
I have a wide-screen monitor and have to run FSX at the screen's native 1900 X 1280 resolution. Anything less looks funky. I note no difference if FPs, just the quality of the image.

Caz

Mr.Mugel
April 12th, 2009, 07:12
Loose of FPS with lower res means a slow progress of interpolation, I guess, as the non filled pixels (leds), need to be calculated. Only at native resolution you have one LED for every pixel, otherwise...

I have noticed that I get better frames if I have FSX running in a smaller window on my PC, but it doesnīt look good, and on a 19", I donīt want a smaller image...

Ark
April 12th, 2009, 07:40
2560x1600