PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop question

OleBoy
April 11th, 2009, 14:11
I'd like to know if there is a simple way to bend this black band while maintaining the width along it's curvature.

Cazzie
April 11th, 2009, 14:37
I'd like to know if there is a simple way to bend this black band while maintaining the width along it's curvature.

How do you want to bend it OleBoy?

At at angle, circular, etc.?

The way I do if it is an angle, I use the square selection tool and select from where I wish to edit, then free transform to turn and place the selection.

Caz

Tako_Kichi
April 11th, 2009, 14:46
The pen tool is your friend! You can use it to create linear points and bezier curve points (with handles to adjust the curve). It creates a 'path' which you can then fill. I use it all the time when doing repaints as you can get very accurate curved shapes very quickly.

If you have never used it before try a couple of the pen tutorials on this site to get a feel for how it works.

http://www.myjanee.com/tutorials.htm

OleBoy
April 11th, 2009, 17:06
Cazzie,

I need to do a somewhat radius going from the tailboom (down the side) and then up over the top curvature, then connect to the vertical stab twice. I'm finding that the mapping on the tailboom leads to the stripe to bleed as it rounds the corner and up to the tail. Trying to maintain uniformity to make the connection look good is going to be a feat I may no be able to conquer. The corner looks to be a square-round I spose. I've tried distorting, warping and skewing without success.

Larry,

I've played with the pen tool. But this particular area where this needs to be done, I don't think it will work and maintain the radius without the bled look........will it? I'll be honest. I don't know the answer.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7454/estwgwip1927086r.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3995/estwg11944564.jpg

Tako_Kichi
April 11th, 2009, 17:22
Hmmm....looking at your paint and comparing it to the photo I would say your black lines are sloping upward too much and should more closely follow the bottom edge of the 'boom'.

By doing that you could extend the lines on the vertical stab which will be a real help in the area where the pixels will tend to 'pull' (i.e. the area where the texture is 'wrapped' around the intersection between the boom and the stab).

If you look at the photo the lines intersect at 90° whereas on your paint it looks closer to 60°.

Cazzie
April 11th, 2009, 17:24
Tako is correct OleBoy, for a radius the pen tool is your best friend, because it produces vector graphics and not rastor graphics as does mapping them. You will get a much sharper image with the Pen Tool, learn to use it, I did after reading and taking note of its usage. You can adjust you radius with no loss of detail too. That Wilga-Bee is looking good too, painting is addicting, ain't it?

I do logo designs and all printers want vestor graphics, because you can enlarge or reduce them without loss of detail. For most of my work I use Illustrator, but for repaints I use Photoshop and the Pen Tool. It is the only tool in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro that will render vector graphics.

Nice simple design tutorial Tako, use that site and practice OleBoy; trust me, the Pen Tool is a great item for repaints.

Caz

OleBoy
April 11th, 2009, 17:34
Larry,

I was trying to replicate the angle from the nose, down the boom. That part looks ok (not showing you the other side...lol) You're right, it's not near a 90* (no idea where you got the degree mark) anyway, I'll try a few tutorials with the pen tools. Maybe I can get it sorted out after all.

Cazzie,

Maybe I bit off more than I can chew right now trying to do this one...lol.

Thanks for the replies guys:wavey:

Lionheart
April 11th, 2009, 18:39
Ole Boy,

If you are into repaints, that Pen Tool is the ULTIMATE striping tool.

Learn it. You will be so thankful. I do so much work with the Pen tool. I used to be bothered by it, but have learned how it all works and how to set up a line, then adjust its curvature, etc. Its awesome. The 'Fill' use in it works excellent, without pixelization.

Bill

Tako_Kichi
April 11th, 2009, 19:01
I was trying to replicate the angle from the nose, down the boom. That part looks ok (not showing you the other side...lol) You're right, it's not near a 90* (no idea where you got the degree mark) anyway, I'll try a few tutorials with the pen tools. Maybe I can get it sorted out after all.
The line down your fuselage looks like it is drawn horizontally from fore to aft whereas the photo of the real thing looks like it's almost parallel to the line formed by the underside of the fuselage/boom. The pen tool would allow you to draw that in without any pixellation which would then allow you to bring the vertical lines on the tail to the correct intersect point.

The ° sign is obtained by holding down the ALT key while hitting 0176 on the number pad.

OleBoy
April 11th, 2009, 22:36
I got it all sorted out. I appreciate the help very much...Thank You.

I'm posting a few shots in the Wicked Wilga thread.

Tako_Kichi
April 11th, 2009, 22:51
Looks very good now OleBoy...well done! :applause::ernae:

OleBoy
April 11th, 2009, 22:54
Thank you sir. I couldn't have done it without some guidance.

It's nice to know there are fellow painter friends willing to help :ernae: