PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!!

Optix
April 11th, 2009, 11:09
Everything was working fine last night when I shut down, but this morning when I attempted to fire up my PTO version of CFS2, I get an error concerning the "chain.dll" file in the modules folder. It only affects my PTO as my ETO works just fine.

I already tried replacing the file with the one from my ETO version and when that failed I tried the copy on the original disc. Neither corrected the problem. I really hate to think about a reinstall.

Anyone got any ideas??:help:

bearcat241
April 11th, 2009, 19:15
Reinstall...you've already tried the only solutions possible for this extremely rare problem. In all of my years in this forum i've never once heard this problem come up. When the wheels fall off a module, you only have two options: replace it with a backup or reinstall the whole sim, because the problem is hidden deeper than just that one dll file.

Rename the existing sim, reinstall a new one and copy over all the old vitals to the new, except the modules folder.

Optix
April 12th, 2009, 05:19
I was afraid that would be my only resort. I suppose it's time to get to work. :typing: It still brings up the obvious question though, of which I'm well aware there may be no answer....what caused it and will it happen again?? :faint:

bearcat241
April 12th, 2009, 05:45
....what caused it and will it happen again?? ... no answer

That about sums it up, unless someone else has something to add.... ;)

Optix
April 12th, 2009, 12:30
I completed the reinstall, transferred all the vitals (minus the module folder), and lo and behold......same error!

Needless to say was a litttle upset...O.K., alot....but then I started thinking about what I was doing just before the original problem occured.

I had been modifying an exhaust fx file and just on a whim I disabled that file and bang everything works just fine. :applause: I can't for the life of me figure out how that would affect the startup, but you know the rest. Just thought I'd pass this on FYI. :wave:

bearcat241
April 12th, 2009, 16:38
Hmmm....thanks for the info Optix. Now we can add a new one to the problems and troubleshooting manual. Plus, we can connect another set of dots between fx files and the chain.dll module.