PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust

rayrey10
October 13th, 2008, 09:36
Yes, I am the latest victim of hard drive failure. My :censored: 'puter crashed on Saturday night :banghead:. Went out bought a new hard drive and now have the arduous task of reinstalling everything again. This bites!

The only positive is that I get a clean install of FS9, which got me thinking: is it worth having different installations of FS9? Like one for Civilian air and one for Military air? Guess I'll have to research that, too bad we (SOH) lost all of the old threads.

I'll try not to get too annoying asking silly questions, but I would like to set FS9 up the right way from the start. Glad I only had a basic install for FSX, no addons, cuz that would twice the pain in the rear.:banghead::isadizzy:

Lionheart
October 13th, 2008, 09:45
I feel your pain RayRey.

I lost TONS of info and textures on my last HD. Cant believe I didnt back things up when I had a feeling.. arrghh..

Hope you get it all back up and running even more smoothly then before.

On alternate FS installs, some really need that, some dont. I can see why some have Silver Wings, as they only have that type of aircraft 'only' in all aspects including AI traffic, airports, etc. That would make it worth it.

Bill

wombat666
October 13th, 2008, 09:49
The only positive is that I get a clean install of FS9, which got me thinking: is it worth having different installations of FS9? Like one for Civilian air and one for Military air?

Certainly is a good idea.
In my case it is FS9 'Alaska', FS9 'VOZ' and GW3.
:kilroy:

kurt190
October 13th, 2008, 09:51
If you are a low and slow flyer, or don't do much long haul stuff you might consider doing installs by geographical location e.g. one for Alaska (Mist Fjords etc), one for Europe (UK, Swiss VFR etc), Viet nam (for the military stuff) etc etc. Its something I have been moving towards - not got there yet though.

kurt

Panther_99FS
October 13th, 2008, 10:00
:banghead::censored:

Baron von Blutwurst
October 13th, 2008, 10:20
I'd recommend not installing FS9 on the same drive that Windows resides on. You can then lose your C: drive and have little worry about your install of FS. My C: bit the wiener last week too and it's no big issue.

Cheers
Randy

Krazy
October 13th, 2008, 11:07
What Manf drives are these failing...WD??

rayrey10
October 13th, 2008, 20:01
It will probably a few days before I'll be able to install FS9 because I have a ton of other issue, like problems setting up my network, making sure all the drivers are installed, etc.

I did a decent job backing stuff up except for the panels. I can't believe I did that :banghead: Oh well, live and learn, right!

Sorry I don't think it's an epidemic (hard drive failures) but if I'm not mistaking like 3 or 4 fellow SOH members had HD crashes just before SOH had it's only little crash. At any rate my HD was a Samsung, it came on my Dell.

fliger747
October 15th, 2008, 09:00
Yup, recently had a HD crash on my laptop thta I usee on the road for most development work. The biggest pain.... trying to find where some of the rare and exotic software disks went, unlock keys etc. Haven't got Accell for FSX back and running yet.

T.

Odie
October 15th, 2008, 10:06
My son's Falcon-Northwest Mach V had a HD failure about 3 months ago. Luckily Falcon gives you both a rescue disk and a real copy of WindowsXP (instead of just the rescue disk).

Took it to the Geek Squad and they installed a 500gig WD HD and the Operating system. This was my 2nd experience with the Geek guys and like the first, it was a positive one. They loaded all the drivers, XP Service Packs, etc, and got everything setup.

Buddha13
October 15th, 2008, 10:57
Hi all,
Thanks for the reminder.Just backed up 10gb of files to dvd.

Buddha13

GZR_Sactargets
October 15th, 2008, 12:21
I have a military set and a civilian set of both for FS9 and FSX. Makes for less that has to be loaded to fly a particular package. These 4 sets are on two different computers-XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. It does help to have backup CDs or DVDs with the packages you will reload in the event of a failure. I also keep the original zips from downloads-although that is probably overkill since the major websites have them in the libraries. If you don't buy CDs or DVDs for your payware, backups should be the first step. Don't forget to include the registrations and passwords in your saved CD or DVD.

nazca_steve
January 29th, 2012, 00:41
Complete and utter commiserations, my friend. We've all been there and it is plain horrible. So hard to get it back the way you had it. Good luck on the long winding road home!

Cees Donker
January 29th, 2012, 07:17
This is funny! A four year old thread has come to life again? Steve, wazzup?

:jump:

Cees

rayrey10
January 29th, 2012, 10:45
This is funny! A four year old thread has come to life again? Steve, wazzup?

:jump:

Cees

Yeah, for a minute there I thought "my hard crashed again?". :icon_lol: Funny that this thread comes up again, as I am in the middle of storm of "blue screens of death". I get them almost daily now. Everything takes at least twice as long to load up. It will be time for a new PC soon!